PDA

View Full Version : Self cleaning ovens

PRB
September 9th, 2011, 05:33
I've been around a couple of years, but I've never had a “self-cleaning” oven. I'd heard of them, and will admit to feelings of dubiousness at the claim (can we get self-cleaning garages, please?) So I tried it. I was concerned though. I knew that the whole “self-cleaning” process involved the application of high heat, and I also knew the inside of the oven had grease and stuff in it. I'm no oven expert, but I know that if you apply high heat to grease you get what's called a “Class Bravo” fire... So I did what everyone does in situations like this, I consulted Google. Sure enough, Google said I had to do some “pre-cleaning” and remove any “standing oil slicks” and such before engaging self-clean mode. I knew it! “Self-clean” my butt! So after prep, and removing the racks, I hit the button and stood by with fire extinguishers, had repair parties standing by, and set condition zebra main deck and below. After four hours, I peeked in, and was overcome with amazement. It was clean! Where did the grease go? I thought I would have to sweep out the charred remains of whatever was in there at the least, but no, it was sparkling clean like new! It's PFM! That stands for “Pure **** Magic” I was like a dog watching TV, as Willy would say. It must have got vaporized and discharged into the house. Hmm...

bobmay
September 9th, 2011, 05:46
You're right about the grease being distributed around the house Paul.
You need a cooker hood with good filters, or an external exhaust pipe to take the fumes outside, to properly benefit from a 'self cleaning' oven.

Emil Frand
September 9th, 2011, 08:45
Self Cleaning oven means you clean it yourself...............

Navy Chief
September 9th, 2011, 16:20
I have a "self-cleaning" gas grill. Rather I should say my sister owns it. The self-cleaning option is a complete joke. All it does is bake-in whatever is left onto the grill surfaces. In fact, I will never use that option again!

NC

beana51
September 9th, 2011, 18:18
My wife Uses "NAPALM".......all that PIG fat..... it burns it out!!....<label for="rb_iconid_19">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon26.gif</label>

N2056
September 9th, 2011, 20:02
The only reason your house is not a smoldering news story is because you stationed a fire watch! :salute:

I'm looking forward to the next installment of this story...in which PRB coughs up a grease ball. :icon_lol:

emfrat
September 9th, 2011, 23:47
Down here in Oz, Toowoomba to be exact, I was picking up my ute from a service and noticed a neighbouring Car-Wash place also offered "Self-service Dog Wash $2".
That started me wondering how does doggy put his/her $2 coin in the slot, and from there, where does it carry the $2 in the first place?
Mebbe I just shouldn't read signs...
MikeW

stansdds
September 10th, 2011, 03:07
We have a natural gas range with the self-cleaning option on the oven. I'm not a fan of the self-cleaning things, but my wife just had to use it. She fired it up, the door locked (yes, a mechanical lock and the door will not budge when the oven is in self-clean mode), and the oven temperature began to rise... and rise... and rise. It went well above 600F and "cooked" for about four hours. The oven was clean when finished, but the house was hot and bit smelly and I was awarded with a very large gas bill. This was when natural gas prices were at their all-time record high.

She used the feature once and after seeing the bill (didn't help pay it, just saw it) said she would not use it again.

Dangerousdave26
September 10th, 2011, 04:50
Yes they do work good and you should not worry about the a fire. For grease to burn it needs oxygen. When you latch the door it should (check your seals) seal up the oven tight. This prevents the oxygen from coming in so all that can happen is everything bakes to a crisp.

PRB
September 10th, 2011, 05:10
Yes they do work good and you should not worry about the a fire. For grease to burn it needs oxygen. When you latch the door it should (check your seals) seal up the oven tight. This prevents the oxygen from coming in so all that can happen is everything bakes to a crisp.

That makes sense, and Mr. Google indeed stressed the importance of a good seal. It did work in my case, and quite well. Of course it wasn't too nasty in there to begin with.

Bushpounder
September 10th, 2011, 13:35
When the oven is in that mode, the door cannot be opened, even if you kill the cycle. The inside temps will keep the door locked until they drop to acceptable levels to open.

Don