PDA

View Full Version : Goodyear K-Class Blimp

jojohnson9
September 8th, 2011, 12:00
At Flightsim I just downloaded a Goodyear K-Class Blimp used by the US Navy in WWII. It's FS2004, but operates quite well in FSX. It flies better than any other blimp I have tried before. And the VC views (8 views) are really great.

dvj
September 8th, 2011, 13:24
At Flightsim I just downloaded a Goodyear K-Class Blimp used by the US Navy in WWII. It's FS2004, but operates quite well in FSX. It flies better than any other blimp I have tried before. And the VC views (8 views) are really great.

No photos = didn't really happen :sleep:

Helldiver
September 8th, 2011, 14:11
Thank you for calling it to my attention to the Goodyear blimp. It looks like a realistic rendition. It's something that I missed from my WW II memories. They were a common sight every day over Beverly and Salem Harbor, patrolling for subs. They would fly out of NAS Weymouth. They were supported by PBYs out of NAS Squantum. Both Naval Air Stations are now history.

jojohnson9
September 8th, 2011, 16:23
Thank you for calling it to my attention to the Goodyear blimp. It looks like a realistic rendition. It's something that I missed from my WW II memories. They were a common sight every day over Beverly and Salem Harbor, patrolling for subs. They would fly out of NAS Weymouth. They were supported by PBYs out of NAS Squantum. Both Naval Air Stations are now history.

NAS South Weymouth was my last duty station before I retired in 1986. I was with HS-74...SH-3D "Sea King" and SH-2F "Seasprite" helos. I remember flying into SoWey in 1965 when I was with VP-26 in an SP-2E "Neptune". The WW II blimp hangar was still there in 1965. Damn big, we could have put our whole squadron of Neptunes in there and still had plenty of room for more. When I got back there in 1982 only a small portion of the original blimp hangar remained, but it was still quite large. And now NAS Brunswick, Maine is history too. No more Naval Air Stations in New England...that's just very sad and very wrong.

Cazzie
September 8th, 2011, 16:47
A U.S. Navy Warlock 9A blimp arrived in Danville Friday, August 26th to ride out Hurricane Irene. The airship was tethered at Danville Regional Airport due to the approach of Hurricane Irene to the Tidewater area. The airship was on its way to Naval Air Station Patuxent River, which is located in St. Mary's County, Maryland. Doug Abbotts is public affairs officer for the Naval Air Warfare Center. He said the unmarked airship is a test aircraft and has no operational use. He said the Navy does work for "all department of Defense agencies," and "we need to test sensors that need to go low, slow and vibration free.

Caz

Warrant
September 8th, 2011, 17:13
Really love these things.
Was just watching the movie "Zeppelin" starring Michael York a few day's ago...

TARPSBird
September 8th, 2011, 22:34
HD, I remember Navy blimps occasionally passing low over my house when I was a kid, back around 1955. Their shadows would darken our whole back yard. We lived next door to NAS Glenview and I suppose the blimps were on cross-country flights. I've liked 'em ever since. :)

NickB
September 9th, 2011, 07:52
Coincidently, a Goodyear airship flew over my house about 2 hours ago 1430L ish, just north of Heathrow heading west.

When I was a kid the Goodyear airship Europa used to fly over our house in Wolverhampton quite often when visiting the tyre factory there, now closed.

I imagine they are a bit different from the WWII blimps.

jdhaenens
September 9th, 2011, 08:10
As coincidence would have it, Piotr Lowicki, the gentleman that did the original CGI model of the USS Macon that we eventually got into FSX is looking for info on the LZ130, and the K model as well as other WWII airships. PM me if you have something interesting and I will get you in touch.

CrisGer
September 9th, 2011, 17:08
I recall the Navy blimps in San Diego when i was a kid, they were slow, but really fun to watch....the naval base was filled with lots of ariel activity including the old PBYs and the blimps...i always loved airships...we have been working on a Zepplin for CFS2 and I am trying to convert it to more modern sims..now THOSE were big beasts...

I also remember the huge hangars at Moffit Field, not sure if they are still there. Someday we will return to airships when the fuel gets harder to get....they can move huge loads at a very effective cost....i even think they could be used to fly entire industrial plants to the source of the raw materials ...like lumber mills and refineries...but that is someday.