PDA

View Full Version : Hardware question- I think?

Fortiesboy
December 12th, 2008, 07:47
Hello
My mate has FSX installed on Vista 32 OS computer. He went to install Ultimate terrain on it and there was no response from the DVD drive when the disc was put in.
When i went to My Computer to right click on the DVD drive, there was no response except the drawer re opened and a message came up asking for a disc to be put in the drive.
My mate also told me that he could now no longer play DVD films on the drive.
The drive would accept CD discs, and programs from them could be loaded.

The vendor of the computer has sent a new DVD drive to be fitted, but before we do that,I am wondering if this is a software matter.
I ask because my mate has since loaded some drivers ( Power dvd or something similar ) and the DVD will now play DVD films. But it will still not run programmes DVDs

Am I right in thinking that when a new DVD drive is fitted there have to be some drivers loaded for it to fully function?
I'm told it first used to fully function but then the problem of loading of DVD programmes and playing of DVD films occurred after a while.
Before swapping DVD drives would it be better to re load some drivers ( that would have come on discs with the computer ) and what would they be called?

I'm trying to save some unnecessary work here :)

TIA

harleyman
December 12th, 2008, 08:30
It seems as if he has lost some generic drivers ....

If he has a Windows disk he can use it to do a repair of the OS,which will in turn reload the generic drivers.....But he probably has a Bloatware recovery disk ,not an OEM one...

You can auto run the DVD from windows....Right click on the icon My Computer and select open......Then find the DVD in the drive and open it..There you will see the Exe. to launch the disk....

I do not know what his OS disk is.,or any other disks he has,but you need the generic drivers ....

Do this first though...You see the pic...That is device manager...next to all the DVD drives rightclick them and see if any are red or yellow...If you see a red or yellow right click it and enable if not,and repair..that will reset the drivers for the drives......

Lipra
December 12th, 2008, 10:02
It could also be a loose power cable to the drive or loss of one of the power feeds. The last time I had this the door opened the lights came on and that was that.took a while for the penny to drop [ ended up changing the drive ]