PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up the "Goose"

TeaSea
September 5th, 2011, 05:23
Something I'm sure someone's taken care of and I've just missed it. The issue with the default sound files in the default MS Goose.

FS9 these worked quite well, however in FSX the Goose get's confused as to how many RPM's are running and what the throttle settings are. Hence the sound as though at full RPM's when one is idling.

How have you guys addressed this?

Killbilly
September 5th, 2011, 05:40
A poor patch job is just to hit the "Q" key twice whenever you get the stuck high RPM sound (usually after switching views). That resets the sound until you switch views again.
I downloaded the HD Goose Redux from OZx, and haven't noticed the sound problem since (plus the Goose has never looked nor flown better). So that may be a better solution.

TeaSea
September 5th, 2011, 05:47
Thanks Killbilly -- I will use the "Q" fix for now.

I also have the HD OZx version, but it has not cleaned up that particular issue for me although the aircraft looks fantastic.

Your description of the issue is dead on. I had not realized it, but switching views is when that occurs for me.

I was thinking of swapping sound files with the GAS Lockheed 12....'course if the error is in the aircraft config file that wouldn't necessarily help.

Mathias
September 5th, 2011, 06:15
You can try to resave the wav files in the goose sound folder in PCM signed 16b format.
Goldwave can do that, it comes with a trial version.

Daube
September 5th, 2011, 06:46
I think I have read somewhere that the solution for this RPM sound problem consisted in editing the default FSX cameras.cfg to remove the top-down (sattelite) view... I can't remember exactely where I read that, though, so do not do it until you find "reliable" info, please.

FAC257
September 5th, 2011, 08:17
It's an FSX thing. :)

I have to use the "Q" key trick on quite a few aircraft from time to time to reset the sound. It does seem like it is almost always brought on by switching views. I think in some cases even panning the view triggers it.

FAC

Mathias
September 5th, 2011, 08:20
Try the reformatting thing, it'll fix it.

warchild
September 5th, 2011, 08:39
One thing i can assure you all is that this particular error does not originate in the aircraft.cfg file.. I'm not saying i did a perfect job on the flight model, but the flight model has absolutely no relation to the sound file..
I'm afraid that when we reworked the plane, the sounds were not something we did anything with at all.. you'll find the same sounds in the default goose.

The aircraft uses a double wasp engine, so early lockheeds, beechs and boeings are all good candidates for replacing the sounds..

lazarus
September 5th, 2011, 11:15
On the FSX Sound thing- it has seemed to me that the sound driver for FSX is a bit of a bottleneck as far as loading drag and fps hit. Or am I imagining that?

TeaSea
September 5th, 2011, 16:40
One thing i can assure you all is that this particular error does not originate in the aircraft.cfg file.. I'm not saying i did a perfect job on the flight model, but the flight model has absolutely no relation to the sound file..
I'm afraid that when we reworked the plane, the sounds were not something we did anything with at all.. you'll find the same sounds in the default goose.

The aircraft uses a double wasp engine, so early lockheeds, beechs and boeings are all good candidates for replacing the sounds..

That's good info Warchild. At least I know that there's no relationship to the files.

Gizmo
September 6th, 2011, 03:40
Gotta echo what pam said here we really didnt look at the sounds for the goose

while re-texture/normal mapping can be done quite well from a collection of static pics and the FM from stats and flight manuals and feel,new sounds was something that would have needed us to have access to a running wasp and some good quality recording kit

I did mail a guy who could have gotten some access to a running wasp via a local transport company but he didnt have any good recording kit so i never brought the suggestion to the rest of the team

The default Beaver was up next for a Redux and i got the normal mapping/test scheme about 95% done but i had a few RL issues that prevented me from having the time to work as part of a team so it kinda die a death as a project,i still have the dev files so it might see the light one day when i get some time to crack out the crayons again

Laters
steve

btw heres a few shots of the halted beaver Redux as a tease ;)

PhillRoath
September 6th, 2011, 05:03
Something I'm sure someone's taken care of and I've just missed it. The issue with the default sound files in the default MS Goose.

FS9 these worked quite well, however in FSX the Goose get's confused as to how many RPM's are running and what the throttle settings are. Hence the sound as though at full RPM's when one is idling.

How have you guys addressed this?

Folks are correct in the sound problems but it's more a Windows 7 than FSX. Under XP I did not have that problem but now on rare occasion have to use the "Q" fix.

That being said, there was also a known problem with the Goose and it was fixed via the sound.cfg file. I've attached a copy of the one I got off the internet (AVSIM?) that you can give a try. Rename the original first and you can compare with yours to see the changes made.

Phill

PS - had to add the .txt on the end of file name so the forum uploader would work.

Helldiver
September 6th, 2011, 05:43
The Goose needs more cleaning up than the mere sound files. Why doesn't someone do something about the retractable wing floats and those atrocious spinners? None of them were used by Military JRFs. For that reason, I won't fly the funky FSX version

mmann
September 6th, 2011, 07:45
I feel the same way about the FSX Acceleration P-51! I guess it's a matter of what you expect from a model; the original aircraft versus a modern version of the original.

warchild
September 6th, 2011, 08:12
unfortunately, the floats and the spinners are part of the copyrighted model owned outright by microsoft. unless they change the actual model itself, theres no way for anyone of us to legally change it. I dont care for the retractable floats myself, but in point of fact, they exist in real life, as does the spinner. It's what prompted me to create a second higher power version of the flight model in order to reflect changes in the more modernized plane.

Originally designed to accomodate wealthy business men who lived in the richer areas of new england but worked in new york city It was adopted for use by the military, and became a legend.

roger-wilco-66
September 6th, 2011, 23:06
[...]

i still have the dev files so it might see the light one day when i get some time to crack out the crayons again

Laters
steve

Steve,

that Beaver looks most excellent, it deserves to be liberated from it's dev status! :jump: I love the bump mapping and detailed texturing, as I already do on the Redux Goose. Excellent work, thanks!

Cheers,
Mark

napamule
September 7th, 2011, 01:25
I usually pan around the default Goose (with joy hat switch) when in Locked Spot view, when I first load it, and I never get any sound problems after that, even if I change views. I am aware of the problemo. And I use Top-Down view (via joy switch / toggle) and don't get corruption. This is in Acceleration and with AC97 onboard sound. And I realize it is intermitent (ie: can't reproduce at will). Try my trick and see if it works. Might be just what the Doctor (mechanic?) ordered.
Chuck B
Napamule

Mathias
September 7th, 2011, 01:42
At the risk of repeating myself and to make sure that my posts are not invisible for some funky reason: :kilroy:
You get that hanging sound either when there's a formatting error in the sound.cfg (invalid wav link) and/or when the sounds are saved with a codec that's not present on the user machine or doesn't go well together with the FSX sound engine.
Best way to fix_it_for_everyone is by making sure that the sound.cfg is formatted properly and saving all wav files in WAV PCM signed 16b.

napamule
September 7th, 2011, 14:06
Well here is the proof that Goose sound IS 16 bit, PMC signed. So sue me.
Chuck B
Napamule

Mathias
September 7th, 2011, 22:07
Ehehe, yeah, I love suing people for nothing.:icon_lol:
The original Goose has a dead wav link in the sound.cfg that's fixed with this downloadable update. Forgot about that, sorry.

Gizmo
September 8th, 2011, 14:21
Steve,

that Beaver looks most excellent, it deserves to be liberated from it's dev status! :jump: I love the bump mapping and detailed texturing, as I already do on the Redux Goose. Excellent work, thanks!

Cheers,
Mark

Hey Mark

Thanks for the kind words :)

Now that Shade is out there im hoping to get back into doing some HD reduxing/repainting,i also have a Redux of the extra 300's external bumping/detailing pretty much done just gotta find time to get around to getting my crayons out again

Cheers
steve

TeaSea
September 8th, 2011, 16:39
Ehehe, yeah, I love suing people for nothing.:icon_lol:
The original Goose has a dead wav link in the sound.cfg that's fixed with this downloadable update. Forgot about that, sorry.

So, I adjust each Wav? There's a bunch....

Mathias
September 9th, 2011, 00:11
So, I adjust each Wav? There's a bunch....

TeaSea, as napamule correctly suggests, the Goose can be fixed by just dropping in the corrected sound.cfg.
There are other third party planes that have this hanging sound due to inproperly formatted wav sounds, and yes, these need to be resaved.
Goldwave can do that as a batch job.
You would open all wav files from a sound folder and just run a batch job on it.
And no, I'm not affiliated with Goldwave in any way. :icon_lol:

http://www.goldwave.com/
The site makes it appear as if it was payware but it's shareware really.
It has a trial version that never seems to expire. It'll just remind you to buy it from time to time.

napamule
September 9th, 2011, 01:18
Mathias,
You said: '..as napamule correctly suggests, the Goose can be fixed by just dropping in the corrected sound.cfg.' Sorry but I never did say any such thing. I have no way of knowing what you did to it, and thus I can't vouch that it 'works' as a fix.

Looking at your 'fix' sound.cfg and the Goose sound.cfg I can't SEE as there is any difference AT ALL. Is it 'hidden'? Is the 'dead link' still there?

I realize there have been numerous methods used (since FSX came out) and lots of talk in forums. But no one ever pointed out the EXACT 'error'. For some reason some think that pressing 'Q' twice will fix things (I disagree-but that's only my opinion).

It has been suggested that one use the DC-3 cfg formating to format the Goose sound.cfg in order to fix it. Haven't tried it as I am not 100% on SDK when it comes to sound. But it sounds like one could just use the DC-3 sound and be done with it.
Chuck B
Napamule

TeaSea
September 9th, 2011, 15:59
Okay, fair enough guys....tell you what....

I'll try all of them sometime this weekend, and I'll let you know how it comes out.

I did have Goldwave, and yes, there is a batch option. I just had to look for it.

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know what I end up with.:guinness:

JoeW
September 10th, 2011, 00:53
Reading all this ............ I just checked mine. For some reason all the sound files are 32 bit. I think I copied all of them from FS9. Don't remember why I did this, but I don't have that problem.

Mathias
September 10th, 2011, 03:27
Ok guys, that'll teach me to blather off of faded memories.:mixedsmi:
Just checked the sound.cfg and what I remembered as being a blind wav link turns out to be just fine.
That "updated" config just replaces one of the left engine external sounds with the corresponding right engine sound. Wonder why?

Anyway, I resaved them many moons ago and don't have that problem since then.
Same trick worked so far on any other aircraft that had those issues (our very own Fw190, also verified by our beta testers and users, the new Storch and a couple others).

napamule
September 10th, 2011, 15:26
Mathias,
Sorry, but I still don't know what it is we are supposed to do to fix the Goose sound problem.

You said: 'Same trick worked so far on any other aircraft that had those issues..'. What / which 'trick'? Please elaborate. Or not. Your choice. I will understand.
Chuck B
Napamule

TeaSea
September 11th, 2011, 05:59
Well,

Here's what I did.....

Replaced the sound files with the updated one from above. Note, the Sound folder in the Goose I have is actually "Soundai", with another separate "Sound" folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Grumman_Goose_G21A\soundai

and....

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Grumman_Goose_G21A\Sound

respectively.

I've learned a bit from this process, but not why these files and folders are arranged this way. If someone could enlighten me I'd be most appreciative.

I tried putting the suggested sound.cfg file in several different places and played with it a bit. This eliminated the issue with throttle mismatch when switching views, however now the engines were more or less heard as cruise no matter what position the throttle was in. Why it pulled this particular wav I do not know and it may be that I simply messed up the transaction.

In any case I then backed up the original folders and copied in the sound files from the GAS Lockheed 12A, which I felt would be a close approximation to the Goose (If this is not "fair use" from my purchase, then someone needs to tell me and I will reverse the process--my review of the EULA seems to indicate I'm okay). These files work quite well and I've left it at that.

BTW, toggling the "Q" key did not seem to work for me. Can't tell you why.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions, and in no way was this request for assistance meant to be a critique of the Goose or those who worked it.

JoeW
September 11th, 2011, 06:52
Chris ......... the soundai is for when it's used for AI aircraft. The sound folder is used when you fly it.

napamule
September 11th, 2011, 14:37
TeaSea,
Will you try this? Load the C-172 and save IT as your 'Default' (ie: start up) flight. Exit FSX. Re-Start FSX. When the C-172 loads the Sim Engine will load certain parameters (perhaps including Ram address space for Sound?). Now load the Goose, set view to 'Locked Spot View', and then pan all the way around it a couple of times (using hat switch). Now go fly. Is the sound how it should be? Then you found a 'work around' that actually works. Forget about the 'Q' toggle.

But, the secret is having C-172 as 'Default' (start up) flight. If you start FSX with a 3rd party airplane (with 3rd party panel-making it even worse) then all bets are off. Simmers can't seem to accept that FSX after all is a computer program and not an XBox or console game. So, it's 'C-172 as default start up flight'- to set FSX up (profile?)-or be doomed (as there could be other 'issues' if you don't). Too easy.
Chuck B
Napamule

TeaSea
September 11th, 2011, 15:49
Chris ......... the soundai is for when it's used for AI aircraft. The sound folder is used when you fly it.

Thanks Joe! That explains it.

napamule, I may give that a try next weekend when I get some time to play with it.