PDA

View Full Version : What's your homepage

aeromed202
September 4th, 2011, 04:19
I was wondering what people use as a home page. I can't say why really but I've used Yahoo for years. Recently, however, something has changed and search links give errors like "Oops Chrome could not connect to search.yahoo.com", or Firefox's "The server at search.yahoo.com is taking too long to respond". I figure it's something to do with Yahoo itself or it's some setting that got altered that I can't put my finger on. At any rate queries to them have gone unanswered so I'm snooping around for a new home page. Some people I know use ABC news, BBC news, Google search, or their companys home site for examples.

BurningBeard
September 4th, 2011, 05:35
I use the Drudge Report.

Beard

rpjkw
September 4th, 2011, 06:25
I use Yahoo.

Bob

kilo delta
September 4th, 2011, 06:32
www.allfemalenaturistwebcams.com (http://www.zgeek.com/forum/gallery/files/6/3/2/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg)

Give's me a little boost in the mornings!

:p :icon_lol:

Joe P
September 4th, 2011, 08:39
airliners.net

Tako_Kichi
September 4th, 2011, 08:41
Mine is set to a blank page, although the first place I head to when I fire up the computer in the morning is SOH. :icon_lol:

AndyG43
September 4th, 2011, 10:42
Google, but specifically iGoogle; I can tailor the page with a variety of 'gadgets' which, at the moment, give me headlines from the BBC, a British newspaper, 5 day weather in London, a dictionary, and links to IMDB & Wikipedia - but that is a movable feast.

stuartcox
September 4th, 2011, 11:03
www.allfemalenaturistwebcams.com (http://www.zgeek.com/forum/gallery/files/6/3/2/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg)

Give's me a little boost in the mornings!

:p :icon_lol:

LOL!

I use MSN UK, modified with news, sport, email contents, Facebook and Twitter messages.

Stuart

TARPSBird
September 4th, 2011, 14:35
I've used Excite.com ever since 1998 when I first got online at the local cyber-cafe. Easy to add/delete features, and you can get a free e-mail account too. :)

Roger
September 4th, 2011, 14:50
Same as Tako_Kichi. I keep it blank so I can choose where I go first.

andersel
September 4th, 2011, 14:57
Mine is msnbc.com. A good base for international/national/local news.

LA

CG_1976
September 4th, 2011, 15:29
NWT Government/Citizen access. Helps keep me sane when In my 2nd home the US. Hate the friggin heat and I want Arctic Cold and Phase 1 Snow blows.

Railrunner130
September 4th, 2011, 15:35
I use Avsim. It provides me with their latest downloads and flightsim news.

Navy Chief
September 4th, 2011, 15:59
Google.com

But I visit http://www.foxnews.com/ more often than anything else.....

NC

Kiwikat
September 4th, 2011, 16:04
My home page is NWS Green Bay. Gives me a quick overview of any weather happening in NE Wisconsin. Definitely isn't Fox News... :icon_lol:

Dangerousdave26
September 4th, 2011, 16:21
Same as Tako_Kichi. I keep it blank so I can choose where I go first.

+2

Same here

Navy Chief
September 4th, 2011, 17:28
My home page is NWS Green Bay. Gives me a quick overview of any weather happening in NE Wisconsin. Definitely isn't Fox News... :icon_lol:

Fox isn't my homepage; I just visit it often.

NC

Willy
September 4th, 2011, 18:03
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/content.php of course!

TeaSea
September 4th, 2011, 18:30
I have used Drudge, Fox, and Google mostly....also MSNBC and CNN at times.

I tend to switch them out. Frankly, Google is the one I stick to the most. It's an interesting question.

I swear my wife uses EBay.

rayrey10
September 4th, 2011, 19:17
Yahoo...had it as my homepage for as long as I can remember...don't know why

mfitch
September 4th, 2011, 21:53
It depends on which computer. At home most are set to Google (default from the browser). Work computers are set to my own webpage for quick access to course materials.

Pauke! Pauke!
September 5th, 2011, 12:07
It's either http://www.bloomberg.com/ or http://www.marxist.com/ , it depends on if I'm on my Meds or not.

:jump::mixedsmi::jump::mixedsmi::jump:

Blackbird686
September 5th, 2011, 14:23
BBC Americas, mostly. Sometimes MSN, depends on the 'puter I'm using at the time.

BB686:USA-flag:

Flyboy208
September 5th, 2011, 18:25
SOH of course ! Mike

aeromed202
September 6th, 2011, 02:52
What started this was problems with my Google, which is not currently the default. Clicking on a link I put in the bookmarks bar would not get a response nor would pasting in a URL and hitting paste and go. It would think a while then say the other guys stuff timed out or wouldn't respond, but on other computers the links worked fine. The only way to to make it work was to open a new site in a new window and sometimes I had to close the first window too. I found a place that showed how you could reset Google to defaults without reinstalling by deleting the user data. It works like deleting the CFG then on first start FS will build a new one for itself. I was thinking I messed up a setting somehere. Doing that didn't fix the problem so next is side-by-side comparing Internet settings with another computer. I may have to reinstall Google but I want to know where the problem is.

Otherwise now I've got ideas for other homepages so thanks all. My wife uses ABC News, my oldest uses that or BBC World Service, and my youngest uses Google search.

flaminghotsauce
September 6th, 2011, 09:37
You guys only use ONE homepage at a time? My "home" button calls up a calender, weather page, Facebook, a flight sim forum (not this one), a hotmail page, Woot.com, and a political discussion forum. That's THIS computer. My laptop has most of these same tabs, with a Linux forum, a deal-per-day site, and a different weather page. My Netbook has all these pages and a Pandora tab, and a Christian rock station "listen now" page. The netbook is the kitchen music machine plugged into a very nice sounding radio system.

I use Firefox, and six or seven tabs for a homepage is common for me. My wife's desktop computer has over twenty tabs that opens when she clicks the "Home" button on her Fire Fox browser.

GT182
September 6th, 2011, 09:54
MSN... it's free. :)

Francois
September 6th, 2011, 23:28
'Home pages' are passé with the advent of multitab browsers IMHO :icon_lol:

When I start the browser I have all sites loaded that I check every morning and use throughout the day, some 12 tabs to begin with.

I guess you could say the leftmost tab is the 'home page' then? That would be Facebook in my case :mixedsmi:

Navy Chief
September 7th, 2011, 02:59
Woot.com

Woot.com. Awesome website. Have bought quite a few good deals from that site!

NC

Lionheart
September 7th, 2011, 20:16
Yahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo............... .......

stansdds
September 8th, 2011, 02:06
About:blank

When I go onto the internet I choose what I want to see first, I don't want to have some page trying to load when I'm opening my bookmarks or typing something into the search window.

Tom Clayton
September 8th, 2011, 19:06
I use Google out of habit. Back in the days of dialup, it was one of the fastest loading pages because there was only one small graphic. I still use it today because it's simple and uncluttered. I rarely use it when I first pull up my browser, but when I do need to find something, it's also my favorite search engine, and as close as the New Tab button.