PDA

View Full Version : turboprops won't start

Warrant
September 3rd, 2011, 14:28
Hi people,

Every once in a while, when i have changed my default flight to something else some times, i have the strange experience non of my turboprops will start in FSX. Normally i change back to my default default flight, save it as default flight at start-up again, and i'm done.
Now, i seem to have lost my default default flight (the one you get when you freshly install FSX, and i fail to get any turboprob started (including the crtl-e option).

Does anyone have another solution to this problem?

Tako_Kichi
September 3rd, 2011, 14:36
If you have the mixture function assigned to a control axis on your stick/yoke move it to the opposite extreme and try starting the engine(s) then.

I have a few aircraft that seem to be backwards with regard to the mixture function and instead of coming in full rich they come in with the mixture set to the fuel cut-off position (hence the dead or dying engine(s)). Turbo-props seem particularly prone to this little quirk as they use the mixture control as a fuel cut-off. In many cases I have seen the turbo-prop 'conditioner' lever assigned to the mixture axis too.

I have started leaving the mixture setting at the mid point and have activated 'auto mixture' in the realism settings which seems to cure the problem for the most part. I revert to manual mixture if I want to play with the settings en-route.

mjrhealth
September 4th, 2011, 00:56
Its a bad idea to mess around with the default flight. FSX relies upon it for some of its settings and when you change the plane , well you have seeing the results. Best to just save your other flights as other flights, less of a hassle. and it affects lots of plaes, especially complicated ones.

rvn817j
September 4th, 2011, 06:01
If you don't mind having the plane started and sitting at the end of the run way, here is what I did (and I still haven't figured out how to start a plane....seems like an ignition issue).

Load a plane (like the default ultra light) at the runway end. Get it running at that position. Replace the airplane with the airplane of you choice. Save that as you default "start" flight with ";" or the drop down menu. That should get you flying with engines running, but it is not a cure. Good luck.

(BTW, I had just done some stuff on my Vista 64 powered computer like - updated Orbx PNW airports and libraries and updated my Nvidia graphics driver. I don't know if any of these actions might have been the culprit!)

mjrhealth
September 4th, 2011, 13:33
Its easier then that, just start the flight with the default cessna, then swap planes, no need to start anything. Just ensure that both fuel tanks are selected.