PDA

View Full Version : Dive bombing 101? (borderline OT)

PRB
September 1st, 2011, 04:40
So I'm wondering what, exactly, the technique was to transition from straight and level flight, to the near vertical dive. No book ever really reveals it, saying always that they “plunged into their dives...”, etc. Well, we all know they plunged, but how did they begin their plunge? Surely they didn't just push the stick forward. For one thing, the it would be difficult to judge the precise moment to push over as the target would have been obscured for several seconds under the nose. For another, that would involve significant negative G which, I've been told, pilots like to avoid. A split-s type maneuver would be no better, as you still wouldn't know when to begin rolling. I've seen footage of SBDs in an echelon formation peeling off one by one, rolling into a dive. Looks like that anyway, but who knows what that was. Could have been a practice dive. Seems to me you would have to approach your target from an angle that allowed the pilot to keep it in sight until the moment he begins his dive, but if your going to dive near vertically on it, how do you do that? The wings would be in the way at the push over point, even if it was off to one side a bit. I have an SB2C-4 pilot handbook, but the “transition maneuver” is not discussed. Heck, diving the airplane is not even discussed.

The VS SBD is great for dive bombing practice, BTW!

SkippyBing
September 1st, 2011, 05:02
From reading about about the Blackburn Skua in 'Wings of the Navy' by 'Winkle' Brown the technique is described thus:

'The technique that we were taught was to approach the target at about 8000' at right angles, keeping it in sight until it disappeared under the leading edge of the wingtip, pulling up until it reappeared at the trailing edge and then winging over into a 70 deg dive, extending the Zap flaps fully and keeping the target at the top of the engine cowling. Release height was 3000' and pull-out was commenced, simultaneously retracting the flaps, being completed at around 1500' to avoid the bomb blast and any light flak.'

Note the Zap flaps on the Skua worked as dive brakes in the fully open position. Not sure how much of it applies to other dive bombers but I'd imagine the general technique was similar although the reference points may well have been different.

mal998
September 1st, 2011, 06:35
Here is a page from Peter C. Smith's "Dive Bomber" This briefly describes a couple of dive bombing techniques.

PRB
September 2nd, 2011, 03:46
Here's the funny part. I have both of those books! But they're packed in boxes right now, in anticipation of my next Great Migration across the country. I will have to try some more dives in FS now... Thanks all.

crashaz
September 2nd, 2011, 08:59
The VS SBD is great for dive bombing practice, BTW!

Might want to also start reading up on torpedo approach practices as well. ;)

fliger747
September 2nd, 2011, 15:20
In doing the SOH SBD (what seems like many dog years ago) and various Corsairs, I used the abeam, roll over into the dive technique, about the only way I could see the target at the start of the dive and get proper position.

T

hairyspin
September 3rd, 2011, 02:00
Can't say how the SBD pilots did it, but Hawker Typhoon pilots would approach in level flight from 5000 - 10000 ft depending on cloud, flak etc, wait until the target passed behind the wing leading edge, roll 90 deg and hold that until the nose dropped to line with the target, level the wings and watch the slip gauge on the way down. Release at 2500 ft or so, pull out and get out of the target area pronto. Source: Brotherhood of the Skies, David Ince.

guzler
September 3rd, 2011, 03:30
From reading about about the Blackburn Skua in 'Wings of the Navy' by 'Winkle' Brown the technique is described thus:

'The technique that we were taught was to approach the target at about 8000' at right angles, keeping it in sight until it disappeared under the leading edge of the wingtip, pulling up until it reappeared at the trailing edge and then winging over into a 70 deg dive, extending the Zap flaps fully and keeping the target at the top of the engine cowling. Release height was 3000' and pull-out was commenced, simultaneously retracting the flaps, being completed at around 1500' to avoid the bomb blast and any light flak.'

Note the Zap flaps on the Skua worked as dive brakes in the fully open position. Not sure how much of it applies to other dive bombers but I'd imagine the general technique was similar although the reference points may well have been different.

That's how I land the a320 in FS :icon_lol: