PDA

View Full Version : Just curious

robert41
August 31st, 2011, 19:19
How many of us fly by the book? I mean aircraft climb, cruise, descent procedures. Also landing at airports, entering the pattern and such.
I always try to fly any aircraft as close as possible to real world procedures.

MenendezDiego
August 31st, 2011, 19:22
In FSX it's usually balls to the walls for me (even as a real world pilot).

In DCS A-10C I always start my flights with a chizzled jaw, glint in my eye, nothing but business. By the time I'm nearing the end of the flight I'm like a damn clown!

Dangerousdave26
August 31st, 2011, 19:30
For the most part not me either. More because there are no consequences for running outside of the normal operating procedures in most aircraft.

Now when someone develops a model/FM with realistic damage I try to fly it correctly. Those models are few and far between.

The other part is who among us actually reads the manual?

My guess very few people.

falcon409
August 31st, 2011, 20:46
On the rare occasion when I fly multiplayer and someone else is actually flying the same leg at the same time, I usually fly more with proper RPM settings, Manifold Pressure where it should be and patterns closer to real world. Most of the time though, as has already been mentioned, there are few consequences for flying outside the envelope so to speak and I am not interested in constantly watching the gauges to monitor proper CHT, etc. It's not why I fly and why I don't fly aircraft (payware especially) that require that you do. . . .it's boring!:salute:

Bone
August 31st, 2011, 20:58
FS is where I can fly it any dang way I want... balls to the wall, like a clown (lol Diego), and just about everything in between. The real world, umm not so much. Thank God For Da Sim!

Kiwikat
August 31st, 2011, 21:00
I usually fly pretty close to the book when I'm by myself. Screwing around with friends on gamespy can be fun though too.

The other day a friend and I took out the B377 Captain of the Ship and P-47, respectively, into Hurricane Irene. Was a ton of fun, though not terribly realistic...
(Yes his passengers screamed :mixedsmi:)

mfitch
August 31st, 2011, 21:19
If I have enough time I like flying as realistically as possible. However, few planes I have model enough systems for engine management to be meaningful.

huub vink
September 1st, 2011, 07:21
Sometimes I fly "by the book" and sometimes I fly "easy". Depends a bit on what and why I fly it. When I'm beta testing I have to fly "by the book". When I want to check progress on a repaint I fly full throttle and don't bother mixture or propeller settings.

In both cases I'm a lousy pilot.

Cheers,
Huub

UnknownGuest12
September 1st, 2011, 09:12
Just want to spend some time having fun and watching the views, namely OrbX scenery...downloading now their last Fall City...
really don't care about learning procedures for all of this planes....

JoeW
September 1st, 2011, 11:19
I'd just like to know how to fly the acceleration P-51 with out ruining the engine. Can some one point me to a manual on that?
Thanks

Mach3DS
September 1st, 2011, 12:50
I only fly the RealAir B60 Duke (both Piston and Turbine) & the VRS Bug by the book. They are the only ones that I own that really warrant it. I do try to fly as realistically as possible on most flights, however time constraints usually prove too short to be able to fly long enough if I'm just going through checklists on each and every sortie. I love the checklist use on these two birds though. They remind me most of RL flying. I haven't picked up any PMDG or A2A planes yet, but those I will definitely be flying by the numbers. :)

Odie
September 1st, 2011, 13:20
If I can take off, get from point A to point B, and somehow land on the first attempt, I'll take it anyway I can manage it. I generally don't fly strictly by the book, it's a combo of real / easy. It's more getting off the ground and enjoying being in the air for a while for me. I spend more time during transit outside of the cockpit than I do inside...especially if it's a model I'm particularly fond of.

Mathias
September 1st, 2011, 13:44
By the book all the way except when testing stuff that requires to permanently shutting down and restarting FSX.
It's just like second nature and I don't fly tubes. :-)

stiz
September 1st, 2011, 14:29
i fly by the book as much as possible whilst flying low through the grand canoyn :engel016:

Bjoern
September 1st, 2011, 15:10
Virtual airliner pilot. I obey ATC instructions and try to keep within real world procedures as much as FSX allows.

TeaSea
September 1st, 2011, 15:59
By the book....

Like I'm paying the insurance.

It's my thing, what can I say.

limjack
September 1st, 2011, 18:19
No flight rules for me either. Time does not allow to follow the whole ball of wax for me at least. Get in and have fun until wife or chores take me away.

Jim

RCAF_Gunner
September 1st, 2011, 22:35
I fly the aircraft by the book ~ it's part of the immersion for me. ATC procedures not as much ~ mainly because I'm not that familiar with them and I usually fly smaller aircraft on short hops or practice circuits. However, I do use FSX's built in ATC when I'm doing a longer flight.

CG_1976
September 1st, 2011, 22:49
I only fly by the book with the Aerosoft CC138 and AS365. Everything else is fun and experimenting with different techniques and some unconventional. I draw a line on the Sim between RW and there has to be a balance of fun and education. Main thing Have Fun and Respect fellow simmers, no sparring.

Bone
"FS is where I can fly it any dang way I want... balls to the wall, like a clown (lol Diego), and just about everything in between. The real world, umm not so much. Thank God For Da Sim!"

Well stated and put:salute:

Naruto-kun
September 2nd, 2011, 05:14
Depends what mood im in/whats happening. Sometimes i get damn lazy and i take any damn thing and just pull it around going no where slowly. If im eye deep in code and busy erradicating bugs in the Milviz F-15E then i use the quickstart switch and sometimes dont even bother to leave the ground if not needed. If im flying a vUSAF mission or busy with one of the VAs or practicing something i want to master....Its the book.

robert41
September 2nd, 2011, 16:44
Thanks everyone for the replies. Interesting comments.

Roger
September 2nd, 2011, 17:52
Ahhhh....realism....yes:engel016:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/realism-1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/realism-2.jpg

Piglet
September 2nd, 2011, 19:57
Too busy building planes to fly! Well, I do fly while testing, good thing you can turn off crash detection...

AusWilko
September 3rd, 2011, 00:18
If I have a bit of time I will try and make a attempt at following procedures but time is a very scarce beast so most times I just jump in and make the most of flying

hairyspin
September 3rd, 2011, 02:07
i fly by the book as much as possible whilst flying low through the grand canoyn :engel016:

LOL! I like warbird flying, so by the book means bang the throttle to the firewall at every opportunity... :icon_lol:

TeaSea
September 3rd, 2011, 11:15
I fly the aircraft by the book ~ it's part of the immersion for me. ATC procedures not as much ~ mainly because I'm not that familiar with them and I usually fly smaller aircraft on short hops or practice circuits. However, I do use FSX's built in ATC when I'm doing a longer flight.

While the ATC in FSX isn't bad, it's far from perfect. The procedures are okay, but the constant badgering doesn't exist in the real world (handing you off every two minutes, telling you you're too low or too high, telling you to "expedite your climb").

Wish the ATC had a "memory", then the system wouldn't do that.

If you're trying to learn the procedures though, the ATC system isn't bad.....