PDA

View Full Version : A sad realisation about my model building

OBIO
August 31st, 2011, 15:03
I just came to this sad realisation: They could build a real North American T-6 Texan in less time that it has taken me to get a model of one built half way.

Today, I finished packing the stuff in my office/sim room closet, which included about 10 model kits that I bought 3 or 4 years ago. Deb asked me why I didn't pack away the partially completed Texan model...and that lead to the discussion on the likelihood that I will ever finish the darn thing. I have been working on this model for 3 years....and it still needs the engine, cowl and prop installed, landing gear doors installed, canopy installed, lower wing surfaces brushed with a aluminum/silver mix I made up, and the decals applied (that is if they have not dry rotted by this point).

So, 3 years to have an uncompleted T-6 Texan model versus how many real Texans being built every day back in the 40s?

Good thing I wasn't a worker in the North American factory that built the Texan....we'd have a line of 80 and 90 year old men waiting for me to finish their training aircraft so they could go off to fight in WW2.

OBIO

FAC257
August 31st, 2011, 15:24
I got an urge several years ago to try to build an aircraft model which I hadn't done since I was a kid. I loved building aircraft models and was okay at it.

I found one of the large scale Monogram B-29 kits in a hobby store, bought all the glue, paints & brushes. It only took me a couple of days with that kit to realize that with my smashed and caloused fingers from working I couldn't finess the smaller pieces anymore. With my failing eyesight from getting older I could see what my fat fingers were trying to do anyway.

I got really frustrated and it made me feel old that I couldn't do something anymore that I used to enjoy. I got a few cockpit pieces together and painted and the fuselage painted and then it just sat that way for months. I finally threw it away because I didn't like the quality of what I had done and realized I was never going to finish it.

FAC

AckAck
August 31st, 2011, 17:05
So, 3 years to have an uncompleted T-6 Texan model versus how many real Texans being built every day back in the 40s?
OBIO

If you had a hundred people helping you build it, it might be done by now, too.

TeaSea
August 31st, 2011, 17:12
Sorry to add to your remorse....

My buddy built an RV-7A in that time.

Do you hate me now?

But don't feel bad. It's taken me that long to paint some shutters.

OBIO
August 31st, 2011, 17:20
Yes, TeaSea, you are now on my "Rice Cake" List. I say "Rice Cake" because the language filter will not let me type the word that best describes what Rice Cakes taste like.

OBIO

Ivan
August 31st, 2011, 18:16
I have several hundred unbuilt. The last one I remember doing was a very poor Polish kit of a Yak-1. The problem with this kit was that the propeller was pretty horrible, the wing trailing edges were too thick and there were obvious places were parts didn't quite meet up well. I made myself a custom scraper out of a No. 11 Exacto blade to get into that area, cleaned up the mismatches, thinned the trailing edges, made my own propeller blades and didn't complete it when all the problems were solved.....

Don't feel alone! I have CFS1 planes that have been at 95% finished for about 5 years now. This is a hobby, we do whatever we enjoy! Finishing is optional.

BTW, I wish the B-29 wasn't just tossed. I could use pieces from a kit that big (probably 1/48. I am always short of pilots, engines, propellers and the like.

- Ivan.

ThinkingManNeil
August 31st, 2011, 18:44
I just came to this sad realisation: They could build a real North American T-6 Texan in less time that it has taken me to get a model of one built half way.

Today, I finished packing the stuff in my office/sim room closet, which included about 10 model kits that I bought 3 or 4 years ago. Deb asked me why I didn't pack away the partially completed Texan model...and that lead to the discussion on the likelihood that I will ever finish the darn thing. I have been working on this model for 3 years....and it still needs the engine, cowl and prop installed, landing gear doors installed, canopy installed, lower wing surfaces brushed with a aluminum/silver mix I made up, and the decals applied (that is if they have not dry rotted by this point).

Good thing I wasn't a worker in the North American factory that built the Texan....we'd have a line of 80 and 90 year old men waiting for me to finish their training aircraft so they could go off to fight in WW2.

OBIO

Don't feel bad; I have kits in my stash that are approaching the 15 - 20 year mark. In fact I just sold off a couple because I realized they were beyond my talents as a builder and would likely never get built by me. I have a T-6 kit myself (1/48 scale Modelcraft/Occidental that I think eventually got re-boxed by Italeri) awaiting to be built. I even had a set of custom decals for it made up so I could do it in a civi-warbird ersatz Royal Canadian Navy scheme for an SNJ that I dream of owning. If you think straight model building is bad enough, try using photo-etched parts when you don't know what you're doing :icon_eek:

Just to make us all feel inadequate, anyone else here familiar with the work of Master Model Builder Guillermo Rojas-Bazan (http://www.rojasbazan.com/)? Take a look at some of his work on his Walkaround Models page (http://www.rojasbazan.com/walkaround%20models.htm)

N.
N.

N2056
August 31st, 2011, 18:56
:jawdrop:

hubbabubba
August 31st, 2011, 19:39
:jawdrop:

ditto...:kilroy:

Virtual models are quite less messy to make and even a one-finger typist (two if you count shift key...) like me can manage.

PeteHam
August 31st, 2011, 19:51
It seems I'm not alone. :icon_lol:

A mate gave me a 32nd scale F-14 for my 40th birthday.

That's over 20 years ago and it's still only half built and I haven't touched it for nearly 20 years.

Another thing in storage, waiting .....

Pete.

andersel
August 31st, 2011, 20:14
Tim - a look at your situation from a slightly different perspective might be somewhat illuminating. In the distant past, before my eyesight started to fail, and before my hands stopped working correctly, I used to be a model builder. Like a lot of the other guys I had boxes and shelves filled with model kits. At least one partially completed one on my work table. The same was true when I started fiddling around with R/C planes, too. I just loved to chop balsa wood. But over the years I figured out something about myself that, upon further reflection, seemed to apply pretty much across the board. To whit; I really enjoy the process justas much as the product. Perhaps more so. So think of your partially completed kit(s), and those just waiting for your attention, as delayed gratification. The longer the process the better it will make you feel. And, after the model is finished, what do you do? You don’t just sit and look at it. You start building another kit! Think of it all as a continuum. A loooooong one!

LA

OBIO
August 31st, 2011, 21:04
andersel

You hit the nail on the head with this statement:

I really enjoy the process justas much as the product.

This is especially true with my paint kits development. I have 3 folders of paint kits on my external HD, another folder on my secondary (D) drive and maybe 10 CDs/DVDs full of archived paint kits. I really enjoy the technical aspect of creating a paint kit....laying out the panel lines, enhancing the details, creating layer after layer of work in Photoshop. I think I enjoy that aspect of painting sim aircraft more than I enjoy actually painting the sim aircraft. I have so many completed and nearly completed paint kits for so many planes that it is a downright shame that I have not used those paint kits to produce new skins for the planes I made the kits for. A case in point...the C-82 and C-119 by Daisuke Yamamoto. I have paint kits done for both planes...yet have not completed a single new skin. Brian Gladden's C-140....have a paint kit for it done and not a single new paint. And I have a paint kit done for Brian's C-140 that turns it into a C-120 (full cloth covered wings, no flaps) with the optional D window (since it is part of the model and can not be removed via painting.

The model kits....they were bought at a thrift store for cheap....none have the instruction sheets and most have parts missing. Once done, they will just be ceiling hangars....something to add a little air power to my sim room.

OBIO

Naismith
August 31st, 2011, 22:11
My better half 3 Xmas's ago bought me a Tamiya Bismarck, relevant paints & cement, because apparantly I am difficult to buy for and she figured I like aircraft then I had to like ships too. It sits unopened on the top shelf of the closet. Maybe one day.....

TARPSBird
August 31st, 2011, 22:23
Whether it's actual plastic kit modeling or virtual modeling, I like the concept of "good enough". If it looks good to you and you're happy with the results, it's good enough. I know some modelers enjoy the challenge of detailing an airplane, tank or ship to the Nth degree, but you don't have to be that nit-picky in order to have fun.
When I worked in HO scale in my model train hobby I was too pre-occupied with detailing, as if everything had to stand up to close inspection. Other HO modelers seemed to have the same affliction. So I switched to N scale and Lionel 3-rail O gauge. N is small enough that you don't need to mess with a lot of detailing to make your layout look good. With Lionel nobody expects super-detailing so it's no big deal.
Bottom line: Did the plane go together OK? No real obvious blobs of plastic cement? Does the paint job look good? Decals in the right places? There ya go, good enough! :icon_lol:

Willy
August 31st, 2011, 22:29
I started a 1/144 Boeing B377 Stratocruiser about 10 years ago that I've never finished. My eyes just can't deal with that small a scale anymore.

Also have a '30s TWA DC-3 that just needs the decals put on. It's been that way for 4 years.

wombat666
September 1st, 2011, 00:15
I'm still scratch building large scale cars (1:12th and 1:6th) for a select few clients.
Great for financing my own self indulgent projects.
Current build is a 12th scale 1961 Ferrari 156 'Sharknose' Formula 1 car, knocking up the body from aluminium sheet is proving a challenge .........:kilroy:

The only styrene I bother with these days are the brilliant 'Wing-nuts' 1:32 scale Great War series, obviously produced by a company with much love and enthusiasm.

:applause:

Ferry_vO
September 1st, 2011, 04:49
When I was young I made quite a few kits (Aircraft, cars, tanks, trucks) but very few survive. A few months ago I started again with two models. One (Italeri YF-12) is almost done, it just needs a few more decals. The other (Revell Heinkel He-70) was a really mess and needed lots of filing, sanding, filling etc etc! It ended up in the garbage bin before it was completely finished but I enjoyed the time I spent trying to complete it. It was a cheap kit anyway..

PRB
September 1st, 2011, 05:13
Here's the current state of my model building hobby. Lots of unfinished work, and un-started for that matter. Once my move is complete I'd like to get back to work on that 1/350 USS Missouri kit you see there. Some of you people will recognize the shape of the USS Tennessee (or California or West Virginia) resin type hull. Those models are beautiful, once completed, but they sure are more work than your run-of-the-mill Tamaya plastic kits.

Odie
September 1st, 2011, 06:14

OBIO

Oh, don't get me started on the cabinets full of UNSTARTED models that I have at home! At least you got one started, OBIO! I just collect them with the intent of putting them together....:mixedsmi:

jhefner
September 1st, 2011, 07:36
Whether it's actual plastic kit modeling or virtual modeling, I like the concept of "good enough". If it looks good to you and you're happy with the results, it's good enough. I know some modelers enjoy the challenge of detailing an airplane, tank or ship to the Nth degree, but you don't have to be that nit-picky in order to have fun.

When I worked in HO scale in my model train hobby I was too pre-occupied with detailing, as if everything had to stand up to close inspection. Other HO modelers seemed to have the same affliction. So I switched to N scale and Lionel 3-rail O gauge. N is small enough that you don't need to mess with a lot of detailing to make your layout look good. With Lionel nobody expects super-detailing so it's no big deal.
Bottom line: Did the plane go together OK? No real obvious blobs of plastic cement? Does the paint job look good? Decals in the right places? There ya go, good enough! :icon_lol:

That's the level I strove for when I built plastic models before, and when I am building planes for MSFS. I like to think my FS planes are about like the 1/72 Monogram and Revell kits I used to build; not incredibly detailed, but good enough to represent what they looked like. And usually just fine for obscure planes I focus on; I leave the micro detailed models of more familiar planes to those with more skill and time.

I only have about an hour a weekday; maybe several on a Saturday to work on them. So, it takes me forever to do what I do; one with such a level of detail would take me years. At least my FS models don't have glue smears and messed up decals; my pride and joy in modeling was a Dodge Daytona that had no glue smears, and I had painted the numbers on the dashboard gauges with a toothpick, and detailed the engine. Even in photographs, it looked realistic.

And yes, it is the modeling process that I find enjoyable. Where I get bogged down is in the detail texturing; usually in the VC. It take self discipline for me to finish a project through to completion, rather than setting it down half-finished and picking up another project to start on.

I know my virtual hanger is piling up with planes that close to being completed, but set aside because I was getting hung up on getting the last details right. I am trying to focus on finishing those before I pick up something else; I am tempting myself by gathering research materials for future projects. :bump:

-James

wombat666
September 1st, 2011, 08:35
Oh, don't get me started on the cabinets full of UNSTARTED models that I have at home! At least you got one started, OBIO! I just collect them with the intent of putting them together....:mixedsmi:

I discovered several years ago that "He Who Dies With The Most Toys Doesn't Win, He Just Dies"......................:kilroy:

Tako_Kichi
September 1st, 2011, 08:43
I discovered several years ago that "He Who Dies With The Most Toys Doesn't Win, He Just Dies"......................:kilroy:
ROFL...ain't that the truth! Death is the only thing in life that is certain, eventually we are all going to die! :icon_lol:

Odie
September 1st, 2011, 12:12

"...and leaves a ton of stuff that will go up on eBay!" :icon_lol:

jhefner
September 1st, 2011, 12:13
"...and leaves a ton of stuff that will go up on eBay!" :icon_lol:

...or into the dumpster.

TeaSea
September 1st, 2011, 15:49
andersel

You hit the nail on the head with this statement:

I really enjoy the process justas much as the product.

Th
OBIO

If it helps you hate me less and get's me off the rice list....my buddy who built the RV-7A wants to build another....he seems to enjoy the building more than the flying.

So, build some more!!

OBIO
September 1st, 2011, 20:18
TeaSea

You were never really on my Rice Cake list...I don't even have a Rice Cake list.

Someone mentioned their ex getting them a model of the Bismark thinking that someone who likes planes must like ships as well. Well, my wife, Deb, says that I am a very hard person to shop for. She says it's because...while being a down to earth and easy to get to know person, I am also a very complex and complicated person. She says that it's easy to know what I am into (planes, electronics, tools, gadgets, military collectables, vintage wood and pottery work from Japan) but its hard to buy things for me because the things I am into she has no knowledge of. She doesn't know tools, or electronics, or fishing tackle or the difference between a nice piece of Occupied Japan china or a 1970s Made In Japan el-cheapo tea saucer.

To make things harder for her, following her brain surgery 3 years ago and the 2 seizures that followed, she is not able to drive....so she can't just hop in the car and hit the stores looking for something to buy me.

Well, last year...while at her sister's house...she saw a craft item one of the inmates at the prison my sis-in-law works at...one of my SIL's co-workers stopped by to show it to my SIL. Deb thought it was neat, and knowing that I have a wooden scale model of the Cutty Sark (with cloth sails, real brass canons, tons of details) and knowing that I talk about wanting a boat (as in a nice 15 foot aluminum fishing boat for the lakes around here), she thought that this craft item would be the perfect birthday present. What was it? A ship...made of paper and poster board, stained with a paste made of cheap instant coffee and a bit of water. The canon balls were gravels from the inmate rec yard. It was ugly, stank of cheap burnt coffee. Deb was so excited about this present...and she paid $40 to have it made ($20 went to the inmate who made it and $20 went to the Ohio Victims of Crime program). $40! I tried real hard to act excited when I saw it for the first time...I really did....but I don't think I was very convincing.

OBIO

Cazzie
September 2nd, 2011, 09:07
Hate me, the S-37 is the RoG 1/144 scale. the Strutter is the 1/72 Eastern Express (former TOKO), and the Ford Flivver is the 1/48 Williams Bros. kit.

I need to get back, I am wasting my old age while I still have the skillz. I just fell out of favor with the scale modeling community, a bunch of experts, whiners, and bee-atches.

Caz

Stratobat
September 2nd, 2011, 10:01
Really like the Strutter, Cazzie... Very nicely done :applause:

Regards,
Stratobat

aeromed202
September 2nd, 2011, 16:50
Knock it off, I'm starting to smell the glue and paint already. As a kid I wouldn't let mom vacuum my room for fear of sucking up that part I always hoped would turn up. I think the dain bramage from the fumes is a natural inhibitor to building in later years anyway.

wombat666
September 2nd, 2011, 19:02
Hate me, the S-37 is the RoG 1/144 scale. the Strutter is the 1/72 Eastern Express (former TOKO), and the Ford Flivver is the 1/48 Williams Bros. kit.

I need to get back, I am wasting my old age while I still have the skillz. I just fell out of favor with the scale modeling community, a bunch of experts, whiners, and bee-atches.

Caz

Some things never change Caz.
F 'em and the horse(s) they rode in on.
:173go1:

Stratobat
September 2nd, 2011, 21:55
I think these one's have been waiting for the best part of three years to be finished...

Regards,
Stratobat

modelr
September 3rd, 2011, 04:11
Some things never change Caz.
F 'em and the horse(s) they rode in on.
:173go1:
That's right. Build for yourself, and your own enjoyment.

I haven't built any plastic in 5-6 years, because of time constraints, and my R/C hobby is taking what little free time I have. My "stash" is over 2500 unbuilt aircraft and truck/auto kits. My son already has dibs on what's left when I go to the big parking lot upstairs. He says they'll go on EBAY, I said "fine, but your mom gets 25%." He says "No, she gets 50%." Good kid.

FAC257
September 3rd, 2011, 06:40
It took me a bit to dig up this old pic. This was the last balsa kit I ever tried to build. I was a member of the Vero Beach RC club at the time so it's from about 30 years ago. It's the old SIG Citabria with the 69" wingspan. I never did finish it and eventually sold it as is through a hobby shop.

FAC

WarHorse47
September 3rd, 2011, 07:07
Seems we all shared the same hobbies at one time or another.

In my youth I built a lot of model aircraft, even winning trophies at the local hobby shop. That all stopped when I went off to college. After I married and started a family, I wanted my boys to catch the hobby so I started all over again.

After building a couple aircraft I realized that displaying them was going to be a challenge, so I shifted to model cars - specifically Porsche. But it didn't stop there. Since I traveled a lot as part of my job, I sought out unique models in far away hobby shops (that don't exist any more) and built up a fine collection. Later (we're talking early 1980's) I again entered some contests - the trophies are still up in the attic. The last model I built was the carrier Constellation (CV-64) since my son served two tours on her. The model was eventually donated to our local air museum.

After displaying the Porsche collection for so many years, time took its toll on the decals and paints. They were getting hard to keep dust free and maintain, so I located a member of a local Porsche Club and donated the entire collection. The plastic models are now replaced with diecasts that I can handle without fear of breaking something. :icon_lol:

--WH

Bushpounder
September 3rd, 2011, 18:02

Caz

I am back into it again, Caz. I just built a NEW bench, with a 22" flatscreen in it. A man's got to have a 21st century bench these days, you know! :) I will not be competing, but I will start to build again. I have about 300 to go! LOL!

Don