PDA

View Full Version : Here's one for the blokes in the UK

OBIO
August 31st, 2011, 12:29
Not sure how you all feel about the Royal Family....the 2 Princes in particular...but I found this to be an interesting bit:

http://homepost.kpbs.org/2011/08/prince-harry-to-train-at-el-centro-naval-base-video/

I watched some news clips about Harry and his secret deployment to Afghanistan and his disappointment over being pulled from the front lines when the media blew the secret of his location. Seems he is more than willing to return to the front lines and sees this helo training as a means to do so.

OBIO

AndyG43
August 31st, 2011, 12:39
"Ministry of Defence (that's how they spell it there" - an American newspaper commenting on ENGLISH spelling? :icon_lol:

Harry is getting himself quite a good reputation, after some major faux pas in his youth (Nazi fancy dress anyone?), and nice to see that the MOD aren't being quite so precious these days; maybe his dad pulled some strings, or maybe Prince Charles did? :icon_lol:

OBIO
August 31st, 2011, 13:21
maybe his dad pulled some strings, or maybe Prince Charles did? :icon_lol:

I thought his dad was Prince Charles.....or is there something being kept hush hush in the Royal Family!

OBIO

AndyG43
August 31st, 2011, 13:29
The (unsubstantiated) rumour is that she had an affair with Major James Hewitt - the fact that Harry looks nothing like any other member of the Royal Family, still has all his own hair and the colour of that hair is often cited as evidence. Me, I'm not commenting, I just think it is funny!!

Obio, search Youtube for "Frankie Boyle's most offensive jokes" - I won't post it here in a family forum, but it is funny!

Naismith
August 31st, 2011, 13:30
Never in a million years will he be sent back to Afghanistan in any sort of meaningful role. He's No.3 at the moment for the throne, though the second that his brother procreates then he drops down the pecking order some. Even then no way Jose.

AndyG43
August 31st, 2011, 13:49
Never in a million years will he be sent back to Afghanistan in any sort of meaningful role. He's No.3 at the moment for the throne, though the second that his brother procreates then he drops down the pecking order some. Even then no way Jose.

Prince Andrew served in the Falklands, flying Exocet decoy missions in his Seaking, when he was 2nd in line - so you never can tell.

stiz
August 31st, 2011, 14:05
well flying apaches is sorta safer than being infrantry (well, safer in the way that you dont have to worry about IEDs as much) and the fact he's allready been over once and would mostly likely have stayed longer if the media knew how to keep their mouths shut, who knows, he could go out again in theory.

TeaSea
August 31st, 2011, 17:19
As I understood it, it wasn't concern for Harry himself but rather the troops around him that led to the MOD decision.

For the record, the last sitting British monarch to serve in combat was George II, at the battle Dettingen, in 1743. I remember that because I lived outside Dettingen for a while and happened to be reading Churchill's "A History of the English Speaking Peoples" at the time.

George II had English as a second language, being a Hanoverian.

Matt Wynn
August 31st, 2011, 17:38
Obio.... wish you wouldn't name threads this way pal, puts all sorts of things in my head... initial thoughts "ooh could be Lucy Pinder..... or Sophie Howard!" ,Yes my mind does function in that state from time to time when they let me out the paint Hangar (and no lying you're now googling those 2 names aren't you guys?!)... must be the effect of the paint fumes.... but i digress.... wait, what was i doing again? :isadizzy:

oh yes, i'm a Royalist.... now this whole HRH Prince Harry business, to me is just a complete joke, in the sense that prior royalty further up the pecking order have served their country, the media almost always blows it outta proportion.... anyways while in the 'stan he was doing a great job, Harry blended in... you'd never have known he was royalty, he was just one of the lads....

US Guys.... maybe they should give him a reflective belt...... y'know because "reflective belts reflect....." (someone please finish that for me ;) )

stuartcox
September 1st, 2011, 05:09
I thought his dad was Prince Charles.....or is there something being kept hush hush in the Royal Family!

OBIO

Jeremy Kyle would sort it out in no time...:jump:

Even being a Republican, I do appreciate the work these (half?)-brothers are doing in the interest of the community and the nation.

kilo delta
September 1st, 2011, 09:20
And every current (and near future) Apache pilot's faces turn to a frown as they begin to realise that downing one of their lot has moved up a notch on the enemie's "things-to-do" list in the hope of killing a member of the royal family!

:kilroy:

:icon_lol:

Clarke123
September 1st, 2011, 11:42
And every current (and near future) Apache pilot's faces turn to a frown as they begin to realise that downing one of their lot has moved up a notch on the enemie's "things-to-do" list in the hope of killing a member of the royal family!

:kilroy:

:icon_lol:
If you read Ed Macy's books (Former AAC Apache pilot) The Mosquitoes, as the Taliban like to call them, have been at number one with a bullet from the beginning of their deployment. Among the top of the enemie's to do list is skinning an Apache pilot alive if they can catch one. Doesn't matter to them who the pilot is.