PDA

View Full Version : Simple paint question

Sid2008
August 31st, 2011, 05:04
Ok, I am a newbie in aircraft painting. I make a texture of a part, say a fuselage in FSDS and take the texture into GIMP 2 and try to paint the thing. Sometimes I use FS repaint to make sure the paintjob is where it is supposed to be.

Here is the question: How the heck do i paint smooth curves in Gimp 2? This is what I found: the smallest dot I can paint is a pixel so if the canvas size is 512*512 pixels, curves look piecewise linear, i.e., they are not smooth. In GIMP I can blow up the canvas to 1024*1024 and paint a "smoother" curve using the "Paths" utility, but they are still not totally smooth. The obvious answer is blow up the canvas size even more, say 2048*2048 pixels, but is there an easier way?

Thanks guys, and please keep you answers simple because I am stuuupid.

Sid

gaucho_59
August 31st, 2011, 12:32
Ok, I am a newbie in aircraft painting. I make a texture of a part, say a fuselage in FSDS and take the texture into GIMP 2 and try to paint the thing. Sometimes I use FS repaint to make sure the paintjob is where it is supposed to be.

Here is the question: How the heck do i paint smooth curves in Gimp 2? This is what I found: the smallest dot I can paint is a pixel so if the canvas size is 512*512 pixels, curves look piecewise linear, i.e., they are not smooth. In GIMP I can blow up the canvas to 1024*1024 and paint a "smoother" curve using the "Paths" utility, but they are still not totally smooth. The obvious answer is blow up the canvas size even more, say 2048*2048 pixels, but is there an easier way?

Thanks guys, and please keep you answers simple because I am stuuupid.

Sid

Using a most recent PSP or Photoshop will solve your problem...
No matter how large you make a working canvas... it is always going to get that effect as you reduce it to the texture size the sim will accept if the paint program does not have good definition...

Observe the difference:

Stratobat
September 1st, 2011, 00:47
Hey Sid,

How the heck do i paint smooth curves in Gimp 2?

Instead of stroking the path with the paintbrush tool, try can try stroking it with the airbrush tool and then repeat the stroke roughly four or five times. This may generate a better feathered edge than the paintbrush tool.

Regards,
Stratobat

Sid2008
September 8th, 2011, 06:50
Thanks guys, i will try the airbrush tool.
Sid