PDA

View Full Version : Why is it.....

OBIO
August 30th, 2011, 09:52
that furniture made of that particle board/MDF junk is far heavier than furniture made of real solid wood? I have a 6 foot long, two-drawer cradenza thinigie that I had my 4 foot long 55-gallon aquarium setting on. I found new homes for the two fish that were in the tank, got rid of the tank, and today I am getting rid of the cradenza thingie. It is made of that particle board stuff...and weights a freaking ton more than the 9-drawer solid oak dresser in the bedroom. How is it that saw dust and glue can weight so much? This is one piece of furniture that I am glad is not making the move to our new place at the end of September.

I have the cradenza out of the office/sim room and into the living room....now to get it out of the living room, down the patio steps to the ground 15 feet below than into the back of the mini-van....all by myself. If ya'll hear an agonizing scream coming from the vacinity of Ohio...it will be me...with either a pulled groin muscle or a slipped disc.

OBIO

Jagdflieger
August 30th, 2011, 10:14
Be careful of your back Obio. Once damaged, it's damned hard to repair.

Why not just bust up the piece of junk and take it out part by part and then to the dump.

Matt Wynn
August 30th, 2011, 10:37
i'm with Jagd on this one, get the lump hammers out! it's playtime! :icon_lol:

stiz
August 30th, 2011, 11:09
or better yet, if your a bit evil, ask round to see if anyone wants it, with them haveing to pick it up, then watch them struggle with it :icon_lol:

OBIO
August 30th, 2011, 11:58
Gravity...it can be used to your advantage. Yes, gravity is what made the piece of furniture so freaking heavy...but it I used it to help get it down the stairs. Since the piece was going to the Salvation Army Thrift store, I didn't want to bust it up. So, what I did was flip the piece over on its top (which was covered with a thick formica wood grain stuff) and slid it on its top out the door, along the wood patio, then lined it up with the stairs and let gravity pull the sucker down to the ground. I just steered it and kept it from going full speed. Yeah, the piece got a couple small scuffs on it...nothing major. Still very usable. I backed the mini-van around, opened the rear hatch, and slid the piece into the van. Getting the cradenza out of the house and into the van was actually easier than moving it from the office to the living room. And now I have one less heavy thing to move....YIPEEEEEE!

OBIO

TARPSBird
August 30th, 2011, 12:35
It's the bonding agent in that particle board that makes it so heavy. Regular wood/plywood is not that dense. When I built my model train layout I put the transformer and controls on a shelf made from particle board because they didn't have any regular plywood in pre-cut sections. Very heavy stuff, wore out a saber saw blade cutting it down for the shelf. Will never use it again for anything.

T Square
August 30th, 2011, 16:00
It's the bonding agent in that particle board that makes it so heavy. Regular wood/plywood is not that dense. When I built my model train layout I put the transformer and controls on a shelf made from particle board because they didn't have any regular plywood in pre-cut sections. Very heavy stuff, wore out a saber saw blade cutting it down for the shelf. Will never use it again for anything.

I have had to cut it a couple of times and absolutely, positively HATE THE S##T. Not only does it eat blades, but it seems like it's a hundred times louder then normal and it has a God awful smell. I pretty much refuse to work with it also. Give me some nice Red Oak or Honduran Mahogany any day.

rhumbaflappy
August 31st, 2011, 05:04
Those floor sliders you see advertised on TV actually work pretty well for moving heavy stuff. If you ever want some good instructional entertainment, watch a couple of pro movers handle a piano. It looks like magic when they do it right!

Dick

aeromed202
August 31st, 2011, 06:32
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's the glue. I hate long rips of that stuff. The dust is so fine and I don't want to imagine what chemistry is being released into my air.

Piglet
August 31st, 2011, 17:38
You DO know that Ikea is Swedish for "particle board", right?

TeaSea
September 1st, 2011, 15:55
Would this be a moss covered three-handled family credenza?

Don't know why I remember that. I just do.

CG_1976
September 1st, 2011, 20:19
Solution. 1 Axe+55 Gal metal Drum with holes. Chop it up and burn it. Don't forget the beer for consumption while standing guard with hose for loose embers.