PDA

View Full Version : just a memory

Daveroo
August 30th, 2011, 07:30
when i was about 15,i had a colection of over 1000 matchbox and hotwheels cars,,i had some extremly rare cars,up to that point i had traded and bought ,,saved money mowed lawns (im allergic to grasses,highly) and did other odd jobs to get my cars,,,i just loved them.

the people across the street were an elderly couple who took in a foster child,he wasnt a relitive of theres at all,,but this kid had nothing,no toys, he was about 7,and the couple were in theyre 70s,he would just sit on his porch and watch us "older boys" ride our skate boards and bikes.....so one day i asked the nieghbor kids to help me put him a bike together,,we took spare parts we had,,imagine if you will a oakeyesk like nieghborhood with bicycle parts all over,later it became racecar parts...we had 6 race car drivers from one block and an annoncer...LOL...anyway we built the bike but he was afraid to ride it and we didnt understand trainging wheels then...

then i thought of my 1000 cars,,,,and i walked the box (which was an old tool box) over to him and gave them all to him...om god he played for hours with them...ofcourse i kick myself now...i wish i had that collection today....im 49years old and these were cars that were OLD when i was 15?...wow....

Thoe6969
August 30th, 2011, 08:13
when i was about 15,i had a colection of over 1000 matchbox and hotwheels cars,,i had some extremly rare cars,up to that point i had traded and bought ,,saved money mowed lawns (im allergic to grasses,highly) and did other odd jobs to get my cars,,,i just loved them.

the people across the street were an elderly couple who took in a foster child,he wasnt a relitive of theres at all,,but this kid had nothing,no toys, he was about 7,and the couple were in theyre 70s,he would just sit on his porch and watch us "older boys" ride our skate boards and bikes.....so one day i asked the nieghbor kids to help me put him a bike together,,we took spare parts we had,,imagine if you will a oakeyesk like nieghborhood with bicycle parts all over,later it became racecar parts...we had 6 race car drivers from one block and an annoncer...LOL...anyway we built the bike but he was afraid to ride it and we didnt understand trainging wheels then...

then i thought of my 1000 cars,,,,and i walked the box (which was an old tool box) over to him and gave them all to him...om god he played for hours with them...ofcourse i kick myself now...i wish i had that collection today....im 49years old and these were cars that were OLD when i was 15?...wow.... I feel your pain,we had to move recently and I threw away a lot of model cars I built since I was 15 and up till about 15 years ago.Now I've been on the internet buying up a lot of those kits for 5 times what I paid for them originally.But at least you made a child happy and thats priceless.

OBIO
August 30th, 2011, 08:40
I had a collection of Hotwheel and Johnny Lightning cars....maybe 60 of them....they were the cars I would own in real life if I were Uber Rich. 69 Camaro Z28, 70 Dodge Duster 340, 69 Pontiac GTO "Judge"...those kinds of cars. Getting ready for our move at the end of the month, I was looking at that car collection and started thinking about my great nephew Landon....5 years old and lost everything (including his Dad) in a house fire back in January. I began pulling those cars out of their display rack. I kept about 15, the rest went to Landon. Some of those cars set me back $5 and $6 each....but, I still have the most desired dream cars and Landon has a really nice selection of muscle and classic cars to play with.

OBIO

Wittpilot
August 30th, 2011, 13:07
Okay, You might have already thought of this Daveroo, but have you ever thought of looking that fellow up on Facebook or just googling him? Who knows, he may still have them?? Just an idea. Some days I'll remember somebody I knew for a little while and look them up... I'd say about half the time I manage to track them down... usually don't contact them, but I guess the fun is in the searching....

-witt

Roadburner440
August 30th, 2011, 18:27
I used to collect Hotwheels/Matchbox cars myself. Is one of the hobbies I got from my dad. He grew up in the 50's and all collecting the stuff. Then when I was growing up in the 90's we used to go to the stores, and try to find the special edition ones. I had quite the sizable collection. Like you say though Dave some stuff is lost through time. I wish I had them back some days, but it was fun while it lasted. You have to look at it too from the prism that if you still had them they would be up on a shelf collecting dust, or like mine in a box in the attic. The only set I have left is the Boyd Caddington collection, and that is still in the original box in the bottom of my gun safe. Now I just collect virtual airplanes. :icon_lol: I remember growing up building the little plastic kits, and now some of those very kits I am able to at least virtually take to the skies (thanks to A2A for their B-17!). I suppose I am done with my walk down memory lane though. Wasn't even that long ago, but always good to take the occassonal stroll.