PDA

View Full Version : My computer barfs at FSX

Helldiver
August 28th, 2011, 13:53
I have an Intel Dual 3.4 GHz computer with 4 GHz of RAM
I’m using an egva overclocked GTX 560 video card. The Power Supply is an honest 850-watt unit. The resolution is 1280X1024. I don’t alter any settings and I use no tweaks.
Why is it that I can only get 10 FPS and it’s loaded with jaggies? I would like to think that FSX would do better than that in it’s native state.
It seems that I have spent a lot of time and money chasing after the elusive Frame Rate Fairy.
Does anyone have an easy to implement solution for this problem?

Tako_Kichi
August 28th, 2011, 14:12
Did you install FSX service pack 2 or Acceleration. Knowing if you have the original, SP1, SP2 or Accel version will help others to diagnose the issue.

peter12213
August 28th, 2011, 14:13
HellDiver I can't understand with that system you have, that you are only getting 10FPS I know te latest nvidia drivers were problematic so that may be one thing but what I'd do is download Nvidia inspector to get rid of the Jaggies then run that tool from the tweek thread that rewrites your fsx.cfg for your system settings, that does help get more frames, I also use a program called gamebooster pro which diverts all CPU power to fsx at the click of a button which makes a big difference, I would post links hut I'm on my Iphone at the moment, hope some of this info help mate!

Naismith
August 28th, 2011, 14:22
I suggest you go here and let Jesus clever interface help out even better since you have Nvidea
http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

It auto fixes things.

Kiwikat
August 28th, 2011, 15:20
I suggest you go here and let Jesus clever interface help out even better since you have Nvidea
http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

It auto fixes things.

This. There's no reason to run without any tweaks when its that easy...

Helldiver
August 28th, 2011, 17:08
I do have sp1 and sp2 plus accleration. I have defragged the hard drive. Run a virus checker and Optimizer. So I know it's clean. I will try some of the things suggested. Thanks a lot.

Helldiver
August 28th, 2011, 18:47
I tried Jesus's veneturbo and what I got is blagked out windows and blank instument.s Got rid of that and put in the Game Booster and Nvidia Inspector. Tweaked everthing up 20% and ran FSX. The jaggies went away but the frame rate suffered. This C-47 is running now between 5 ad 8 FPS. See attached
You can’t win.46994

Kiwikat
August 28th, 2011, 21:02
I don't know what addon that is but is it native FSX? FS9 portovers always give you less FPS.

Most people use Nvidia Inspector along with Jesus Altuve's tweaks.

bstolle
August 28th, 2011, 21:54
I don't use any tweaks no nhancer, inspector etc...
Just FSX + Accel and the latest nvidia drivers installed by the win7 update.
Although the various tweaks might produce a slightly better framerate, FSX +Accel without any tweaks should give you a much higher framerate.
There might be a basic problem here.
What are your traffic, visibility and graphics settings?
BTW, is that Orbx PNW in your C-47 screenshot?
High AI traffic settings, plus flying in the vicinity of Seattle, plus a FS9 portover plane will reduce fps a lot!
What fps do you get with the standard C-172 at e.g. KSAN?

Daube
August 28th, 2011, 23:43
Helldiver, show us your actual game settings please.
Also, insert in your FSX.cfg the tweaks for limiting the amount of autogen, in the [TERRAIN] section (you have to add those lines, they don't exist per default):
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=800
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=300

huub vink
August 29th, 2011, 00:55
Bob, put your AI slider back to 0 and check what happens. When your framerates improve, you can try to put it in "low" position and see whether framerates are still acceptable. (I prefer to start with simple things, instead of starting with complex tweaks).

For those who didn't recognise the C-47, its Manfred Jahn's free FSX native model.

Cheers,
Huub

mal998
August 29th, 2011, 04:13
Check out this website. I've been using these NHancer settings for quite some time with pretty good results. I have my frames locked at 20fps and the game seems to run pretty well.

It's worth having a look-see. Maybe there is something here that will solve your problems.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic29041.html

Helldiver
August 29th, 2011, 05:18
The scenery is the default Friday Harbor. Now I don't know about doing anything about the FSX.cfg or setting my "AI sliders back". I more or less take FSX as given.I have cut down the number of airplanes. Not into jets, helicopters or tube liners. I'm like Orville and Wibur, tt's got to have a propellar in order to be a real airplane.
I will try the nhancer and see what it will do. Thanks a lot.

huub vink
August 29th, 2011, 07:54
Bob, removing aircraft won't help. Microsoft Flight simulator is and always has been a graphical nightmare. FSX is just the tenth episode.

I can't make it easier than than below.

Click on setting in the opening screen and move the "traffic slider all the way back to the left And check whether this improves the frame rates.

Huub

SkippyBing
August 29th, 2011, 08:14
Just a random thought but is anything else running on your computer when you run FSX? My PC is lower spec than that and I get much better frame rates without any tweaks, I pretty much installed it, added Acceleration and off I went.
Most settings sliders are around the 3/4 mark, again I just let FSX sort it self out.
I'm just wondering if FSX is actually the issue, or just a symptom of something else?
Next time you run FSX bring up the task manager with Ctrl+Alt+Delete and see how many Processes you're running (not Applications, the next tab along).

peter12213
August 29th, 2011, 08:26
http://forum.avsim.net/topic/318918-...-tool-for-fsx/ (http://forum.avsim.net/topic/318918-automated-tweaking-and-tuning-tool-for-fsx/)

Try running Thit Helldiver, makes a big difference. It does all the tweeks for you!

ryanbatc
August 29th, 2011, 09:55
What is the exact CPU name? If it's really just a Pentium @ 3.4 GHz it's an old CPU and even though it's at 3.4 GHz it's old architecture and not really fast enough.

Helldiver
August 29th, 2011, 11:30
I ran Cntrl/Alt/ Del and there wasn't anything else running. The CPU never got baptised so I never gave it a name. It's a Dual, that is, two 3.4 GHz running at the same time.
Now I set the Aircraft and the Traffic down to zero and I picked up some speed. It now runs between 9 and 10 FPS but it is still jerky. It just seems it should behave better than it does in this sytem.

Ferry_vO
August 29th, 2011, 11:55
HD, try a few different settings for the max framerate.
My computer doesn't do well at unlimited fps, but not at 20 fps either. With my old videocard I would get 13 fps when I set the slider to 20, but if I would set it to 24 it would give me close to 24 fps. Anything higher and it would get jerky.
No idea why it does that, but limiting the frames to 22-24 fps gave me the best results.

Helldiver
August 29th, 2011, 13:29
I've tried everything offered with no difference. In fact, the jaggies are back. How does one set his FPS rate?

peter12213
August 29th, 2011, 13:36
The FPS slider is where you click to change the graphic settings where the light Bloom and advanced animations boxes are!

txnetcop
August 29th, 2011, 13:38
Bob you are running the generation 1
Intel Pentium D 945, 3.4 GHz Dual Core Processor

It will not run FSX worth a darn. There is nothing you can do to speed it up. Even thought it is socket 775 even your motherboard will not run FSX worth a hoot because the early chipset clocks were too slow. Your dual core clock actually only runs at 2.0 Ghz even though your processor speed is 3.4. You have to upgrade the motherboard to at least a generation2 Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad and the 1066 mhz motherboard for good bandwidth. Your 560ti is hindered by the slow clock speed on your generation1 socket 775 motherboard. We have had this talk before...remember?
Ted

This is from Intel:
One of the main purposes of a chipset is to allow communication between the computer's (http://www.ehow.com/list_7341877_intel-gm-express-128mb-specs.html#) processor and system memory. According to Computer Hope, it does this over a pathway called the front side bus (FSB). No matter how fast your processor or memory chips perform individually, the speed at which they exchange information is limited by the FSB. The 945 GM Express has an FSB that can run at either 667 megahertz (MHz) or 533 MHz.

Read more: Intel 945 GM Express 128Mb Specs | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/list_7341877_intel-gm-express-128mb-specs.html#ixzz1WSMnm4AH) http://www.ehow.com/list_7341877_intel-gm-express-128mb-specs.html#ixzz1WSMnm4AH

Dangerous Beans
August 29th, 2011, 15:13
Try this little program to find out everything about your hardware then report back.
http://www.piriform.com/speccy

(http://www.piriform.com/speccy)It should help diagnose where the bottleneck in your system.

txnetcop
August 30th, 2011, 04:39
OK Bob here's the best I can do...run speccy that Dangerous Beans gave you and give me a copy of the output by PM. If we can get your bandwidth uniform across the board that is 800mhz or better for memory, CPU and video card to access then we might have a chance at getting FSX to run a few frame rates higher. It may mean trying to find a Pentium 955X CPU if the motherboard can access more than 533 or 667 MHz. That's the best I can do for you.

The only other thing I can do is offer to build you a custom unit that will run FSX and you have already spent too much money chasing the frame rates. But when it comes to running FSX you need to buy from someone like me that uses FSX and knows how to set it up in your area. I have to charge freight and insurance and that adds more expense.
Ted

Helldiver
August 30th, 2011, 05:21
Well it turned out just what I had predicted. In trying all those "tweaks", I now have a non-fuctioning computer. It won't obey key commands and only goes so far in the boot and then goes into recycling over again. Obviously I have a virus. This is why I have been avoiding tweaks.
Txnetcop, I'll send you my e-mail address and we'll talk about fixing his machine up.
Until then I'll be using my Laptop. No FSX for me.