PDA

View Full Version : Adjust Gunsight

Killer Svend
August 28th, 2011, 03:12
Gent's
The subject has definitely been up before, but how do we adjust a gunsiht, I have a coupple of fighters downloaded and some of them are more dangerous to my wingmen than to the enemy as the bullets are flying in different directions but not in the center of the gunsight - how to adjust?

Killer Svend:wavey:

sc7500
August 28th, 2011, 07:11
Killer - this is one of those often-asked but important questions.

The attached thread will answer a lot of questions, and you can find Aim-It.exe here at the Outhouse:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?46344-Hard-hitting-rear-gunner

SC :wavey:
:kilroy:

Captain Kurt
August 28th, 2011, 09:15
Killer

I am thinking you mean adjusting the gunsight so that the bullets hit in the middle of the gunsight crosshairs? Here is the best tutorial ever done - by Tek which I saved from the old days at SOH. This works perfectly though you have to test and adjust until it is right. Aim-it works very well to center the guns at a set distance, but sometimes it does not adjust right for the vertical center into the crosshairs center. I use Aim-it first, and then fine tune using this method.

:tgun2:
Tek-Tip #5
"HELP! I'm Shootin' Low!"
Calibrating Your Gunsight, in CFS2. (To print this page: Select "FILE" then "PRINT", from your Browser's Menu.)

The "Zeke" has made an un-characteristic and "fatal" mistake...
Mis-judging your descent, he turns too tightly... His plan for intercept has become panic to Not overshoot your slowing & leveling "Cat".
Too Late! Slight pull-back on the stick and You're perfectly aligned on His Six... His Wings nearly obliterated by your Crosshair's Horizontal!
FIRE! You should be straining for a "smoky" glimpse of the "faltering" Zeke and "breaking" away from the debris of the disintegrating Enemy plane... But....
You watch as your Tracers slide "harmlessly" past the Zeke's underbelly!
Panicking, you try to adjust.. pulling hard on the stick you rake the evading Zero with an upward crescent of fire, only piercing non-vital "skin".
By the time you regain control of your Bearcat & Thought... You are, Once again, Defensive!
Your perfectly "harmonized" Guns & YOU have fallen victim to a Mis-Aligned Gunsight!
Here's How to fix the problem & Calibrate your Gunsights.
By Rt. Clicking on your Aircraft's Panel.cfg file (within the A/C's Panel folder), you may select "Open With" from the shell menu.
A window will appear, asking you to select the Application to use. Select "Notepad" and check the box to "Always Use This Program To Open This File (Type)".
Hereafter, you'll only need to "double-click" on files of this type to open them with "Notepad".
Here's a sample of an opened Panel.cfg:

// Hellcat Panel
// View & Gunsight Repaint & Gauge Mods by Tek.
[Window Titles]
window00=F6F-5 -- Main Panel
window01=THROTTLE_PANEL
window02=GPS_CFS2
window03=Clock_Fuel_Trim
[Views]
VIEW_FORWARD_WINDOWS=%window_title_00%
VIEW_FORWARD_DIR=2.6, 0.0, 0.0
[Window00]
file=panel_background_800.bmp
file_1024=panel_background_1024.bmp
size_mm=640,480
window_size_ratio=1.00
position=4
visible=1
ident=MAIN_PANEL
render_3d_window=1
window_size= 1.000, 0.000
window_pos= 0.000, 0.000 gauge00=f6f3_hellcat!Attitude_Indicator, 284,342,70,64
gauge01=f6f3_hellcat!Compass, 208,337,65,64
gauge02=f6f3_hellcat!Altimeter, 134,359,63
gauge03=f6f3_hellcat!Tachometer, 443,359,62
gauge04=f6f3_hellcat!Turn_Bank, 288,412,65,62
========== And So On =============

The bit we're concerned with & will Edit, is the Blue section, [Views].
If your Panel.cfg doesn't have this bit, You may "Copy/Paste" it from here, or type it in, if prefered.

[Views]
VIEW_FORWARD_WINDOWS=%window_title_00%
VIEW_FORWARD_DIR=2.6, 0.0, 0.0

The highlighted (Blue, above) number is the figure you'll Edit to calibrate your Sight, and may be set at any number.
Increasing the No. (ie: 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, etc.) will Raise your round's "Convergence Point" (Upwards) to your Sight's Cross-Point.
Conversly, Decreasing this No. (ie: 2.5, 2.4, 2.3, etc.) will Lower Your Rounds down to the Gunsight.
This is a "Tweak, Test & Repeat" adjustment, but you'll easily see your tracer stream moving Up or Down in crisp increments.
I recommend a tenth at a time, as in the above example (x.7, x.8, x.9, and so on).
A slightly tedious but worthwhile adjustment, especially if You engage in Multiplay at the Zone or in IP. A "Must", if you engage in "Head to Head" encounters, even in QC.
Enjoy! :o) Tek

Jagdflieger
August 28th, 2011, 10:56
To fully zero your weapons you'll need to:

Adjust the 2d zero (as noted above) in the Panel.cfg file.

Adjust the VC zero in the Aircraft.cfg file like this:

Aircraft.cfg file

[Views]
Eyepoint= -3.27, 0, 2.1

or

Eyepoint= z (fore & aft), x (lateral), y (verticle)

By changing these figures you can move your eye point around in the VC in order zero your weapons.

Note that the Z-X-Y axes in the aircraft.cfg are transposed (opposite) of the Panel.cfg values which are X-Y-Z. Only in the dyslexic world of MS could this happen!

A nicely zeroed weapons system can sure make a difference in those dog fights. I like to fly in both the 2d and the VC as well as the locked view when battleing the evil hordes and with everything zeroed, those kills come much easier, especially when holing off for lead or trajectory.

Killer Svend
August 31st, 2011, 06:14
Hi Gents
It is functioning- thanks a lot
Killer Svend