PDA

View Full Version : Folders needed to move airplanes over to new install

strykerpsg
August 26th, 2011, 21:28
SOH Team,

Is it possible to save the Simobjects folder and replace the new install Simobjects folder with the previously saved one? I have bought a larger HDD for FSX specifically and don't mind re-doing textures, land classes, UTX, REX, FTX and the various other addons that end with X. But the aircraft addons are a pain in the arse to redo. So, please let me know if it's doable and what isn't doable. If doable, are there other folders to port over as well?

Lots of questions, I know, but love this sim. Also, did a search for Harleyman and he now shows as a guest. Did I miss something?

Cheers,
Matt

TARPSBird
August 26th, 2011, 21:40
Yes, you can copy or move your old SimObjects folder to a new install. Before you do it I would recommend moving the new-install SimObjects folder to My Documents or some other safe place, just in case something gets hosed up. Keep in mind that some of your planes may have come with gauges that are not resident in the panel folder, or airfields as add-on scenery. That stuff will also have to be moved over.

strykerpsg
August 26th, 2011, 22:13
Thanks TARPs. I have already begun saving the entire Simobjects folder, amazing how large it is. Gonna work on deleting and re-installing tomorrow AM, early. I really wish I didn't have to re-install, but it's really doing some quirky stuff.

Matt

gigabyte
August 26th, 2011, 22:22
I have done this a few times, you will have to grab a few folders and make sure you get the config files as well. Depending on which version of Windows you have the configs are stored in different locations. Off the top of my head here are the folders I recall having to copy over;

G:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects
G:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Sound
G:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Missions
G:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Gauges
G:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Effects
G:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Config
C:\Users\user_name\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files
C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX
C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

The above are from my Win 7 install, I use the G: drive as a dedicated drive for FSX so your letter will be different.

Depending on what aircraft you have installed you may or may not need all of the above, but I did, the one that many miss is the last one, it has most of the config files, such as your keyboard and joystick bindings, and a small config file for each airgraft you have installed so make sure you get that one.

I may have missed some so if anyone else notices please add to my list.

strykerpsg
August 26th, 2011, 22:45
Gigabyte,

A thank you to you as well for mentioning all the other folders before executing my format:/A command.........truly. Perhaps I'll give it until tomorrow AM before typing in that command. Have a great night.

Matt