PDA

View Full Version : Utterly perplexed...

Rami
August 26th, 2011, 18:28
Good evening,

I hate to go to the well again, but I continue to have a problem with both my desktop and my laptop after my router mess of last week, and I think it's software related, so I'm not sure what to do.

In short, my upload speed makes a tortoise look like a jackrabbit. My download speed is excellent, but my upload speed is so bad as to be unusable on both my laptop and my desktop. However, when I start the desktop or laptop in "safe mode with networking," my upload speed is very fast.

So, it's perfectly obvious that something is "getting in the way," and the most likely it is BitDefender Internet Security 2012, which has been installed on both computers, my XP SP3 laptop and Vista 64-bit SP2 laptop. I was also told that if I was uploading more "packets" than I was downloading, than it likely means that I have some sort of spyware or malware on my system. This is not the case, and I have been careful to run scans for spyware with SpyBot, and Malware with Malware Bytes and BDIS 2012.

Anything I'm missing here that you guys (or gals) would do if you were me?

Thanks in advance,

gigabyte
August 26th, 2011, 21:24
Rami, this type of thing is extremely hard to figure out without actually sitting at the system and "Tweaking" it, I would hazzard a guess that if the systems give good performance in Safe Mode and not will normal it is somethin g like you suggest the AV or other security software. There are 2 things I would suggest you can try;

1) if you have something like CCleaner use the Start-up monitor tool and start disabling programs one at a time and see if you can find the problem child. This is a PITA because you have to disable, reboot, test, and try again until you find the program or programs that are causing the problem. I go through my start up list every month or two just to see if anything new has snuck in, and I generally find one or two that I disable - Adobe likes to add in an autoupdater, and the various Google tool bar and Updaters can cause problems so I always remove them.

2) the other thing you can try is IOBit Advanced System Care you can get the Freeware version here - http://www.iobit.com/. Give it a go, it is a handy little tool and it does a reasonably good job at identifying network connection issues. I do like the fix options as well, you can select what you want to fix so you can do the same as CCleaner fix one thing at a time until the real Problem Child is found.

Sorry I can't be more specific but like I said very hard unless I am sitting at the system.

Best of luck with it.

TeaSea
August 27th, 2011, 05:20
What finally proved to be the issue with the router?

Rami
August 27th, 2011, 05:27
What finally proved to be the issue with the router?

Following the instructions by Gigabyte and Obio, and making sure I was able to access it through the standard password.

Rami
August 28th, 2011, 07:51
Good morning,

Well, it turned out to be a bit more problematic than I first thought. Both Spybot and MalwareBytes cause conflicts with Bit Defender Internet Security 2012, and the program installation did not turn off Windows Defender as a startup process. Once all of these were corrected, the registry and installation was purged of BitDefender, and the software was re-installed, the problems have gone away.

They actually are going to have to issue a patch for those who are having similar issues...it took tech support and I over two hours this morning, doing the good ol-process of elimination, to get this all straightened out. They were actually quite pleased with the fact that I had narrowed things down and done a lot of the trouble-shooting before I contacted them, we saved a lot of time that way.

So, I'm back in business. :icon29:

Thanks for the help,