PDA

View Full Version : Why developers do not like Connie?

YoYo
August 25th, 2011, 10:03
Im thinking about Lockheed Constellation, why devellopers dont like really her beauty line? Till now no good model for FSX with high level of VC inside and 3D outside (some free models are ok but without good VC and they are mostly port from FS2004).
We have only model of AH from JustFlight (2009) - but for me its mistake (as model, not idea). Its grate airplane with big period of history in aviation. Connie flowns in many airlines, was many version, in military services too.

Why? Why? :icon_lol:
I dont now why.

Market needs Constellation, something like B377 Stratocruiser from A2A.

Francois
August 25th, 2011, 10:07
Wasn't our friend Jan Visser working on one??

Ferry_vO
August 25th, 2011, 10:49

Not that I know of.. Anyway with JF/AH having done a Connie for FsX I doubt other developers have one on their top priority list.

X_eidos2
August 25th, 2011, 11:36
I remember reading the story of one fellow that was trying to develop a model of the Constellation for FS and he ran into a lot of legal opposition from Lockeed and other companies. It would be like asking Lionheart why he doesn't make any models of Cessna's. Beautiful airplanes, but too many legal hassles to overcome.

Bjoern
August 26th, 2011, 06:11
DC-7 >> Constellation

(Basically a 1950s version of the old "Airbus >> Boeing" (or vice versa) claim)

ColinT46
August 26th, 2011, 06:32
Maybe you should look at Manfred Jahn's Lockheed L-1049 Super G Constellation.

Daube
August 26th, 2011, 07:59
Maybe you should look at Manfred Jahn's Lockheed L-1049 Super G Constellation.

He mentionned that he was looking for a good VC.
The various freeware Connies released recently cannot be flown from the VC because of missing instruments (mainly on the engineer panel). That means that you must use the 2D panels to fully operate the plane, which is, to me, a show-stopper. That's a shame, because the models are beautifull, the VCs are detailled, and the overall realism is really interesting, to say the least... but in the end, I've used those plane to take screenshots only. Most likely, the A2A Accusim B377 spoiled me.

YoYo
August 26th, 2011, 10:06
Yes, I know this model of Manfred Jahn but here no VC. 3D model with textures are very ok, but still no VC. Maybe one day someone will do VC like with DC-3 for FSX of Manfred Jahn too. Second problem its FS9 version, not native for FSX.

Manfred, where are YOU??? :guinness:

Kiwikat
August 26th, 2011, 14:00
Market needs Constellation, something like B377 Stratocruiser from A2A.

An A2A Connie would be beyond words. Honestly I think they should have done it instead of the very odd 377.

Javis
August 26th, 2011, 18:08

You bet you're bottom euro we was, Francois ! ( L-049 )

I was just about to add the last engine when i got an email from John White ( plus an alpha of his magnificent L-049 model ) the rest is history....

After John sent me the final beta we decided it was no use anymore to go on with our L-049 and got on the F-86 Sabre bus. Who was to know that John would not be able to finish up his superb L-049 external model with a, no doubt, equally superb VC. Like it was MY dream to develop a full blown, all singing an dancing FS tribute to THE most beautiful airliner ever, so it was John's. We just happend to be quite a few steps behind..

I still have my L-049 gmax source and we still have full access to the Aviodrome's L-749 so maybe who knows...

Cheers,
Jan

Javis
August 26th, 2011, 18:21
Yes, I know this model of Manfred Jahn but here no VC.3D model with textures are very ok, but still no VC.

What do you mean 'still no VC' , YoYo ??....

What do you call this then :

46831 46832

If that ain't no VC i'll give up alcohol and tabacco.. :costum:

Cheers,
Jan

Javis
August 26th, 2011, 18:43
An A2A Connie would be beyond words. Honestly I think they should have done it instead of the very odd 377.

You're darn toot'n !

One day the story will be revealed why A2A walked straight by the gorgeous looking Connie or DC-4, -6, -7 and went for the butt ugly 337 instead. ( they did a superb job on it nontheless )

Naismith
August 26th, 2011, 22:19
On the subject of Connies, here is a site I found which has a pretty good summation of links where good freeware ones are living.
http://www.milclassic.com/ACFT/ACFT_Lockheed.html

Daube
August 27th, 2011, 01:07
What do you mean 'still no VC' , YoYo ??....

What do you call this then :

46831 46832

If that ain't no VC i'll give up alcohol and tabacco.. :costum:

Cheers,
Jan
It's called "incomplete VC". It looks good but you can't fully operate your plane and engines from it, you still have to use 2D panels.

Ferry_vO
August 27th, 2011, 02:48
You bet you're bottom euro we was, Francois ! ( L-049 )

That was a long time ago... Too bad that project died with the author..
The soundset from the original pack is still the most realistic Connie sound I've heard so far and I still use it for all Connies on my (Fs9) install.

The Jahn series of Connies may not have a VC like the A2A planes, but they're free and still the most accurate models of Connies I have ever seen in Fs. Great job!

TeiscoDelRay
August 27th, 2011, 06:11
I have the Just Flight Connie and love it. Not to complex for me and a great looking airplane.

thunder100
August 27th, 2011, 06:23
First of all the latest non Connie the Starliner (L-1649 Manfred and team) had a full VC in the terms created here-including an FE panel and the SCFA has as well.

But as accuracy mattered most a Connie cannot be flown by 1 person over a longer period as the FE has many things to do.So for tze later versions there is a 2D FE panel and some helper to fly it alone on the icon set.

Apart this the Connie is a nighmare to model due to its sleek design where you see any mistake immediately.I was in all freeware and 2 payware Connie development teams(apart Volker who has taken the Connie over from Manfred) and the fuselage,the wingroot fairing,the angle of the cockpit windows not to talk about the myrad of different engine cowls( remember constant overheating) are real challenges.

So anybody who want to life up to A2A standards as a freeware pls start development !!!!

I promise you countless hours in develoment and a lot of input of the nose shape police( which usually develop nothing just argue) and from the tube flyers which cannot fly it then and demand easier FDE's.But sorry this was zynical.

So till the new project materiaializes I fly John's(noVC whatsoever) L-049, the JF one but mostly Manfreds 1049H and try not to fry engines,but still haul freight from high airports in South America.

Roland

Milton Shupe
August 27th, 2011, 08:46
Love Manfred's works as well and I'll take whatever he has time to offer with a big smile on my face.

From a freeware perspective, there is only so much we modelers can do, and yes, it would be great to have the OP's request see life.

Personally, as a close friend to John Howard White, and a very minor contributor to his work, I still love his original release.

John was also working on the 749 of which I have a early beta copies of the models and panel, but still no VC except for the port wing/engine view.

thunder100
August 27th, 2011, 11:12
RIP Howard

I could tell many story's of this development,just one may serve the purpose,We had 47(fourtyseven!!) L-049 front (3/4 views) pictures and made similar screenshots to get it right.I think to remember that there were about 60 GMAX exports of just the front windows

Milton

There is an Avianca repaint (dont recall the author) with this the oldtimer looks in FSX as it would have best bumpmap.I post a picture as soon as I get back to my computer

Roland

Daube
August 27th, 2011, 13:31
So anybody who want to life up to A2A standards as a freeware pls start development !!!!

A2A standard might be extreme for a freeware model. But DMFlightsim standard would have been just perfect, don't you think ?

dharris
August 27th, 2011, 18:14
Manfred and Volker have done a tremendous job on the "Connies" Their constant tinkering with all the files has really paid off, and if it matters, I flew about 1500 hrs on them as part of flight crews and I tell you, I preferred all the hours on them than on the later, "more stable" platforms. She had a way of making a believer out of you. Would love to get on one again, but not much chance of that. Thank you to the Manfred-Volker crew for all their hard work, it really shows. Don

Bjoern
August 27th, 2011, 21:12
I think to remember that there were about 60 GMAX exports of just the front windows

Wow!

(Front windows are really tough to "get right". Really, really, REALLY tough!)

A2A standard might be extreme for a freeware model. But DMFlightsim standard would have been just perfect, don't you think ?

Well...no.

Every developer has his/her own "footprint", or "signature". You either like it or don't.

If we all had to "piglet" our models, there'd be dog stuff everywhere! How awful would that be!?

Daube
August 28th, 2011, 04:21
Well...no.

Every developer has his/her own "footprint", or "signature". You either like it or don't.

If we all had to "piglet" our models, there'd be dog stuff everywhere! How awful would that be!?

It's not what I meant.
I was refering to level of completion, telling that A2A standards were of course not needed, but the same level of completion than Dmflightsim planes would have been just perfect.

Dmflightsim's planes have virtual cockpits with flat sections which have 2D subpanels copied on them, with gauges and buttons. The Connies I've seen are just like that, excepted that the VC is not complete, especially for the FE panel which shown only some 2D gauges, although being "flat" (no 3D objects/obstacles). That's why it made me think about the planes from Dmflightsim.

Now, I'm not bashing the model or anything. The origin of the remarks were the original poster asking for "good" VC, which cannot be found on the freeware Connies yet.

TeiscoDelRay
August 28th, 2011, 05:50
That is one reason why I like the Just Flight Connie. You can move around to the back side engineer's panel and use it, no pop ups. Also the connie has windows so you can see the interior and lights at night.

Bjoern
August 29th, 2011, 13:42
I was refering to level of completion, telling that A2A standards were of course not needed, but the same level of completion than Dmflightsim planes would have been just perfect.

Yeah well, but they aren't perfect.

Of course you could still ask for the dev's source files and adapt the model to your personal preferences...