PDA

View Full Version : How about a 1 GIGApixel photograph?

CWOJackson
August 24th, 2011, 05:43
This photo of the Vancouver Canucks Fan Zone along Georgia St. for Game 7 of the 2011 Stanley Cup Final was captured at 5:46 pm on June 15, 2011.

It might not seem all that impressive but in reality it's made up of 216 photos (12 across by 18 down) stitched together, taken over a 15-minute span, and is not supposed to represent a single moment in time. The final hi-res file is 69,394 X 30,420 pixels or 2,110 megapixels.

You can access the imagine at the photographers website: http://www.gigapixel.com/image/gigapan-canucks-g7.html

...where you can zoom into the crowd for some amazing details.

OBIO
August 24th, 2011, 09:49
Even in a Gigapixel image, I still couldn't find Waldo. But I did find 1 woman smoking....and she was the only person I saw with a cigarette. What's up with that?

OBIO

Wing_Z
August 24th, 2011, 13:26
Yes you, in the tree there...what d'you think you're getting up to???

Matt Wynn
August 24th, 2011, 13:28
^ ok i'll admit that had me in stitches, followed by pain laughing :icon_lol:

Edit: found another one Ob..... along with the amazing Owl-Boy! able to turn his upper torso through 180-degrees :icon_lol: also another Smoker.... about the equivalent of 5m at that guys 7 o'clock, so 5m right in view, Black Shirt.... below a robot :icon_lol:

AckAck
August 24th, 2011, 16:10
Since it was taken over a 15 minute timespan, how many people appear two or more times?

Brian

Panther_99FS
August 24th, 2011, 16:14
There have been discussions in photography forums about using this type of image to assist police in public riots...

AckAck
August 24th, 2011, 16:18
(Let me just post this over here too)

How would that work? Unless the camera happened to be taking the picture of the area where the riot was happening WHEN the riot was happening, then it could conceivably miss the whole thing if takes 15 minutes to take the image series.

Brian

OBIO
August 25th, 2011, 01:16
Not really related to the image itself...but a year or two back, I was in the local Good Will Thrift store and they had this hat, brand new, fitted hat....priced at 99 cents, but it was half off that day...49 cents. It was blue, with a stylized Orca on it. I liked the way the hat looked, and really liked the price (the original price tag was still on the hat as well....$38). I bought the hat....not knowing and not caring what the emblem on it was for....I knew it was for a sports team, but that really did not interest me at all.

One night I was either here on SOH or on the fish keeping forum I visit, and someone had the logo as their avatar. So I asked them via PM what the logo was for...and explained the whole hat thing. Turns out it is for the Vancouver Canucks.

That's my semi-related story about my 49 cent bargain hat. I wear it...and still could care less about hockey.

OBIO

dogfish
August 25th, 2011, 08:33
picked a random area and zoomed in.

AckAck
August 25th, 2011, 14:59
I thought he was in Argentina? :icon_lol: