PDA

View Full Version : Vista and CFS

RetiredArmyGuy
December 11th, 2008, 12:21
Help,
I just put CFS on my new computer which is running Vista! I cannot get my MS FF2 to work correctly. I also have an old Logitech FF stick that does exactly the same as my MS stick does. Keeps telling me the settings have changed. There is a post on this site that addresses the same issue, but... If I ignore Vista and its lies, my Joystick still does not work. Axis and most other commands work in the settings mode as well as calibration, but when I go to fly there is no response from the joystick. Can someone help me with settings or a work around please. Thanks,
Retired Army guy
P.S. Stick works fine in CFS3 on same computer

jbtate
December 11th, 2008, 21:59
1 Uninstall and reinstall CFS1 CD.
2 Delete the Windows Vista Combatfs file. Replace with a Windows 98 Combatfs file.
3 Right click the CFS1 desktop shortcut.
Properties
Assert Compatability
A. Insert CFS1 CD.
Click allow as administrator.
The joystick should be active.
B. If joystick is not working,
Alt/options/settings/customize controls, highlight the joystick.
Assignments/OK/OK.
Restart.
4 To fly later, right click CFS1 shortcut.
Maybe Einstien knows ... Not toward less
Of and of ...

Allow run as administrator.
Should allow joystick activity.
5 And apparently you may right click on the
CFS1 Shortcut
Properties
Compatability
To Set Privilege level.

EMatheson
December 12th, 2008, 06:24
All that at the end about setting privilege levels and compatibility settings is not necessary... neither, really, is step #2 of the above. Beyond that, the advice is sound... and that is how my copy of CFS1 runs in Vista!

jbtate
December 12th, 2008, 17:39
The fixes I mentioned are an amalgamation of all of the CFS1/Vista/Joystick fixes I got here and tried last spring before the latest site crash. Wasn't entirely sure what was needed so I just posted them all! My CFS1 joystick flies on Vista, though.
jbtate

hubba002
December 27th, 2008, 21:50
Howdy!

I'm running Vista and cannot get CFS1 to work with my joystick either. Joystick works in Flight Simulator X so I know my joystick is functional. I am not able to follow exactly the directions in this thread as I do not understand what is meant by...

2 Delete the Windows Vista Combatfs file. Replace with a Windows 98 Combatfs file.

I did do the compatibility mode stuff and run as administrator (couldn't do this in compatibility mode tab. had to go to Advanced on the "Shortcut" tab).

Any help would be appreciated.

hubba002
December 27th, 2008, 21:52
By the by, where does one find DELETED BY smilo? Years ago I had a version like this, but I have just pulled my CFS1 out from the moth balls. I have my original disk and can use it, its just annoying to have to have it in the drive.

winslow33
December 28th, 2008, 06:40
DELETED (http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads-cats-82-25-25.html) by smilo
Scroll down a bit and you will see the DELETED by smilo:jump:

smilo
December 29th, 2008, 15:51
concider yourself fortunate that it is the Holidays and that I am on vacation.
w33, I believe that you are aware that this subject is taboo here at SOH. if I am mistaken and you were not aware, now you are.
I do not intend on giving another warning.

winslow33
December 29th, 2008, 15:57
Sorry. I really didnt know. I'll be more carefull of what I post.:isadizzy:

smilo
December 29th, 2008, 16:16
thanks, we will consider the subject closed.

jbtate
January 2nd, 2009, 07:20
Replacing the Combatfs/CFG file might only be a matter of making sure the joystick cues are recognizing your joystick and are set to 1 in Vista:

[Controls]
LastJoystickName=Saitek ST290 Pro (my current joystick)

JOYSTICKS=1

[settings]
joystick=1

etc.

I did the CFG replacement fix and other steps and my CFS1 joystick flies, though.
jbtate

jbtate
January 2nd, 2009, 21:46
[quote=jbtate;73975]