PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay WX

CG_1976
August 23rd, 2011, 16:10
All Green Bay members the Brown county EAS system has activated all tornado sirens please take appropriate safety measures.

Kiwikat
August 23rd, 2011, 18:41
That was a stupid warning. My parents 30+ miles away from the storm had the sirens going off. That shouldn't happen in 2011. They do that but don't put one out in Wausaukee where a man was killed by a tornado. Epic fail.

Sometimes I really have no idea what NWS GRB is doing. I don't think they know what they're doing either. My meteorologist friend (from another NWS office) was wondering what they were doing as well...

N2056
August 23rd, 2011, 18:46
Geez...at least you could of acknowledged the good intent of the OP!

robert41
August 23rd, 2011, 18:56
Yep, down here in Appleton, we had the sirens going off also. But the storms where up north of here. Most people just ignore them. Finally, an hour later, we had some lighning, thunder and rain. Nothing severe.

Kiwikat
August 23rd, 2011, 19:04
Yep, down here in Appleton, we had the sirens going off also. But the storms where up north of here. Most people just ignore them. Finally, an hour later, we had some lighning, thunder and rain. Nothing severe.

Yeah that is absurd. They really need to improve the siren system to work like warnings have for the past few years or so- using polygons instead of warning the whole county. I mean the storm was over a mile or two of Outagamie county, why were the sirens going off in Appleton?

I remember a few years or so ago when that tornado hit Little Chute/Kaukauna. They turned the sirens off right when the storm was over the city. Then like 45 minutes later they turned them back on again when there was nothing going on. Makes a ton of sense!

OBIO
August 23rd, 2011, 19:07
I would rather having sirens going off unneeded than them being needed and not going off. Tornadoes are still not fully understood, and they can not be predicted. Sure, weather radar gives a much better chance of forecasting a tornado, but sometimes one will still pop up were it really had no business being....a tornado can come out of a part of a storm that is not considered to be tornado friendly.

OBIO

Kiwikat
August 23rd, 2011, 19:15
but sometimes one will still pop up were it really had no business being....a tornado can come out of a part of a storm that is not considered to be tornado friendly.

Science begs to differ. :mixedsmi:

A tornado will not appear in just any part of a thunderstorm. They form under specific, "friendly", conditions. Granted they can form very rapidly depending on the conditions. When that happens, it might seem kind of random.

When we have all of these false alarms, people become complacent. When the sirens went off here, everyone went outside. Some got in their cars. Kind of the exact opposite of what you're supposed to do. I hope Northeast Wisconsin never sees a major tornado again. We're definitely not ready for it. :kilroy:

Astoroth
August 23rd, 2011, 23:18
Where I live, if the sirens go off ANYWHERE in the county, they sound them locally. Since I am on the southern edge of the county, that means that if a tornado is in the northern edge of the county our sirens will sound. Leads to complacency, and now most people just ignore the "damn things".

A stupid policy and one that is going to get people killed, as they won't pay attention when it's really here...

Emil Frand
August 24th, 2011, 05:47
Never heard the sirens in Green Bay, my daughter was at east high doing an after school activity at 730 when my wife went to pick her up they had been in the bomb shelter for 1/2 an hour. I agree with better safe than sorry but the way the local broadcast stations respond to a drop of rain anywhere in this state is they go into doomsday mode, gets old after a while.....

Tom Clayton
August 24th, 2011, 06:08
They don't even use the sirens here anymore - havent for close to 30 years. The last time I was around when one went of "for real" was as a teenager on vacation in Amarillo. Everyone went down into the backyard bomb shelter and we stayed there until the sirens sounded the all-clear. The local neighborhood was safe, but another part of town looked like a quarter-mile-wide bulldozer had driven through.

robert41
August 24th, 2011, 15:16
Very true what Emil Frand, Astoroth, and Kiwikat are saying. I talked a person at work, he heard the sirens in Appleton, looked at the weather on tv and computer, seen the storms where up near GB, jumped on his bike and paid little attention to them.