PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in Virginia................

luckydog
August 23rd, 2011, 10:10
5.8 up in central Virginia.....rattled the windows here.

What'd you Virginia boys feel ?????

paiken
August 23rd, 2011, 10:17
My son's friends in Rochester, NY felt the tremor. Looks like a pretty good one, 6.0 shakes things up pretty well.

StormILM
August 23rd, 2011, 10:21
I felt it here near Wrightsville Beach, NC. Nearly a minute of my chair moving under me!

NX-74205
August 23rd, 2011, 10:28
Bizarre place to have an Earthquake. Does anybody know of the last time one of this magnitude was felt along the East Coast?

SpitXIV
August 23rd, 2011, 10:40
Do a search for New Madrid Fault, they had a episode on the History channel, about it. :)

Quicksand
August 23rd, 2011, 10:42
Felt it here in the NC mountains as well.. About 20 seconds worth.. Shook the building I was in and had the power lines swaying.... Never felt anything like that...

Willy
August 23rd, 2011, 10:51
The New Madrid fault is in central US along the Mississippi River. Missouri, Arkansas, West Tennessee (where I live). If it shook a 5.8 in Virginia, it would have flattened this area.

OBIO
August 23rd, 2011, 11:06
I felt in here in Mansfield, Ohio. I was sitting in my puter chair, looking up some info on the Sepecat Jaguar and suddenly felt dizzy, felt like floor was moving side to side under my chair....no real shaking, just enough displacement to make things feel odd. Deb said she had the same feeling. The pastor at our church said that he was at his desk, felt dizzy, and just happened to be looking at the glass of water on his desk and said it rippled.

OBIO

grizzly50
August 23rd, 2011, 11:07
:kilroy:Yep, I felt it in western Maryland. They're now
saying it was 5.9.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44245009/ns/us_news-life/t/congress-pentagon-other-dc-areas-evacuate-after-quake/?GT1=43001

:d

napamule
August 23rd, 2011, 12:01
It was felt all the way up to Toronto. The shock wave does not get absorbed in the E Coast like it does out here in the West Coast. We have 100's of faults where the E Coast only has a couple. One big plate as opposed to alot of broken pottery. That kind of thing. Still, that's a BIG sucker, even by W Coast standards. If it had hit here it would be felt 200 miles around. On E Coast it will be felt 1000's of miles around. Hang in there for the 'smaller' 4.0 after shocks!
Chuck B
Napamule

Willy
August 23rd, 2011, 12:27
My sister on the coast of North Carolina felt it. Haven't heard from my daughter in Maryland yet.

Tako_Kichi
August 23rd, 2011, 13:03
Supposedly it was felt in Toronto and Windsor but I am only 25 miles SE of Windsor on the north shore of Lake Erie and I never felt a thing.

Dangerousdave26
August 23rd, 2011, 13:03
Because of the Application mountains there are more Fault areas and High Tension areas in Virginia than most people know.

September 1, 1886 a 7.2 magintude hit Summerville just south west of Charleston South Carolina.

East Coast earthquakes are rarer but can be as devastating as any earthquake on the West Coast.

The biggest problem is the east coast and the midwest are not prepared for even mild earth quakes. Many of the old buildings will crumple like a house of cards if his by anything greater than a 6.

Dangerousdave26
August 23rd, 2011, 13:05
Try this link it shows all the fault lines.

http://web.wm.edu/geology/virginia/provinces/pdf/va_faults.pdf?svr=www

Toastmaker
August 23rd, 2011, 13:28
I'm in the D.C. suburbs of Maryland. We had about 30 seconds of tremor - shook tables, chairs, pictures on the walls, etc. No real damage or injuries, lots of over-reaction because of the rareness of earthquakes here !

Public access buildings (local and fed gov) closed for inspections so lots of people got off early today and cellular systems were out simply due to massive system use - not damage to infrastructure. Everybody got on their cell phones at the same time and swamped the systems here !

Other than that - almost no lasting effects.

:running:

HouseHobbit
August 23rd, 2011, 14:39
Yea felt it here, thought it, was a flashback..:icon_lol: :icon_lol:
Too many Grateful Dead shows..:icon_lol: :icon_lol:

My Cat knew about it before me, she headed to the balcony pouch and
cried for me to join Her, then the movement happened..
WOW!!!

norab
August 23rd, 2011, 15:29
felt it here in South Jersey, like a ride on stream train for 30 seconds or so but no noise. My yellow Lab raised his head but didn't even bother to get up from the couch

Bushpounder
August 23rd, 2011, 16:14
Our building shook a bit, and the doors really vibrated, as did all the sticky notes on the back of the door in the office I was in at the time. That is how I knew it was an earthquake. Trains don't shake the building like that! Our building was secure and all is well in the western side of the state. Not bad for an almost 100 year old building. :wavey:

Don

luckydog
August 23rd, 2011, 16:23
.........a nice little earthquake and a possible hurricane in the same week !!!!!

YEE-HAW !!!

Piglet
August 23rd, 2011, 19:51
Out here in PRC (C as in Calif.) a 5.9 quake is considered a sleep-thru...

TARPSBird
August 23rd, 2011, 20:13
I was drying off from the shower before going to work. Wasn't sure if the bathroom was moving or I was having a balance problem from water in my ear. Then I saw the towels on the rack swaying back and forth. :icon_lol:

Tom Clayton
August 24th, 2011, 05:51
Let's see... Yesterday morning, I was in school when they kicked everyone off the campus due to a bomb threat. Then I got my recliner shook by an earthquake in the afternoon. I don't think I'm going to get a more "interesting" day any time soon. And I don't think I'd want to either! :running:

And for some reason, I kept having some Carole King lyrics running through my head the rest of the day...