PDA

View Full Version : Sorry if I missed anything...

Rami
August 22nd, 2011, 06:08
Hey fellas,

Sorry if I missed anything the past twenty-four hours. I upgraded both my laptop and my desktop to BitDefender Internet Security 2012. On the desktop there were no problems, but on my Vista 64-bit, there is a severe conflict between the runtime protection of Bit Defender and MalwareBytes that slows the computer down to "cripple speed," where it takes 10-15 minutes to load the OS and get to the desktop from a cold boot.

Also, given the fact that it has been two years since I initially installed the OS and there were some minor issues with the laptop, I decided to "give it a clean slate." This would have been easy if I had remembered my router was password-protected. I then found out that when my wife and my daughter were cleaning the study, (or alternatively, my "man-cave") Sara has accidentally broke one of my installation CDs, and the piece of paper that had "a bunch of numbers and letters on it" were also discarded.

It turns out, those were my Netgear installation CD and the password for my router. Oy vey...huh? I tried to reset the router, and then both of my computers could not access the router, so I was back to running one ethernet connection for two PCs, and I had forgotten how to get my router and network connections back online!

So last light, I used my ethernet connection to get my laptop up to speed, which consisted of some 140-odd Vista updates, including going from IE 7 to IE 9, as well as an upgrade to Vista Service Pack 2. By the time that was done, it was almost 1:30am. So, I didn't feel like tackling a router with bloodshot eyes...that's what Mission Builder is for...hehe.

Anyway, last night and this morning, the folks over at Newshawks were most accommodating helping a "network illiterate" person like me get things back up and running. I also made sure this time to take screen shots of my router settings, then put them in a .zip file and placed them in a password-protected section of my backup drive, as well as my desktop. (The password is my wife's birthday, so if I forget that, I have bigger problems...lol)

Those who have wives and children are probably laughing, knowing that stuff like this has happened to them...but it's not funny when it happens to you!

Rami
August 28th, 2011, 07:50
Good morning,

Well, it turned out to be a bit more problematic than I first thought. Both Spybot and MalwareBytes cause conflicts with Bit Defender Internet Security 2012, and the program installation did not turn off Windows Defender as a startup process. Once all of these were corrected, the registry and installation was purged of BitDefender, and the software was re-installed, the problems have gone away.

They actually are going to have to issue a patch for those who are having similar issues...it took tech support and I over two hours this morning, doing the good ol-process of elimination, to get this all straightened out. They were actually quite pleased with the fact that I had narrowed things down and done a lot of the trouble-shooting before I contacted them, we saved a lot of time that way.
So, I'm back in business. :icon29:

Shadow Wolf 07
August 28th, 2011, 09:03
How did you make out with the storm?

Rami
August 28th, 2011, 09:46
Shadow Wolf 07,

Still in the teeth of it, as a matter of fact, but that didn't stop us from going to church this morning...

Right now, we've got 60-70mph gusts, and driving but intermediate rain. The bulk of the rain went about 75-100 miles west of us, so we have the windy side.

Jagdflieger
August 28th, 2011, 10:30
Glad to hear that you and the family are all OK. I imagine that the storm is now north of you.

Oh yea, good to hear that the computer is up and runnig too. I'm surprised that you didn't loose power during the storm.