PDA

View Full Version : RE: America before Pearl Harbor

brad kaste
October 2nd, 2008, 07:14
Hi All,
Most of us are familiar with the black and white photos taken of America during the Great Depression. Especially the ones shot by Dorothea Lange. Masterpieces showing the hardships that were encountered in the Dust Bowl era.
This link will give you a feel and taste what the United States was enduring from the mid-30's up to the time of Pearl Harbor. The photos were taken using Kodachrome film. One can feel the nostalgic 'warmth' of the film coming through. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.
http://www.openmyeyeslord.net/ALookBackInHistory.htm

-Brad

Snuffy
October 2nd, 2008, 07:50
Thanks for sharing! :applause:

stiz
October 2nd, 2008, 08:30
some really good photos there!

Jaxon
October 2nd, 2008, 09:27
These were wonderful!

I live in the wrong time. I knew it for long time and this is another proof.

Thanks for sharing!

:ernae:

lifejogger
October 2nd, 2008, 09:54
Great photos, thanks for sharing. I think people were tougher back then than they are today.

Panther_99FS
October 2nd, 2008, 10:06
Wow!
That's a priceless piece of history there...:jump:

cheezyflier
October 2nd, 2008, 10:23
i was really glad to see those pics, and also that they admit that not everything about the good ol' days was all that good.

did anyone click the "more history" link and see the suffrage photos?
man, that really blew me away. they don't teach those things in school for some reason.

grumpos
October 2nd, 2008, 13:34
Great photos. Thanks for the link. :ernae:

It never gets much applause, but I personally believe that Kodachrome was one of the greatest technical advances of the twentieth century. :medals:

Best wishes
Steve P

Willy
October 2nd, 2008, 13:54
Cheezy, my college US history course that covered the Wilson Administration covered some of that, but not in that much detail. More of a by the way type mention about women being jailed for protesting at the White House. Very courageous women then.

On the first page though, that was the first time I'd seen that pic of the TWA Stratoliner. That aircraft was the Dreamliner of it's day.

NSS
October 3rd, 2008, 07:42
A time of peace and innocence...

TARPSBird
October 3rd, 2008, 12:55
Brad, those are great shots. For a whole bunch more, including some good aviation shots, go here:
http://flickr.com/photos/library_of_congress/sets/72157603671370361/

Jaxon
October 3rd, 2008, 14:55
wow, keep them coming, please!

Helldiver
October 4th, 2008, 10:47
The photos are fairly typical of what went on during the great depression. It started with the Hoover Administration in 1929 and continued through Roosevelts term. We really didnt get well until WWII and Lend-Lease.
They didn't have welfare like they do today. They had "Poor Farms". It was not a nice time. My father was out of work. We would be fed a pilot cracker with milk or water once a day. When the Governmemt commissary opened up twice a month, we would get bread, cheese and beans.
The net results both my brother and I got rickets.
I can remember having to send colored pictures back to Kodak for printing. That went on until the early fifties.

dominique
October 20th, 2008, 04:49
Very moving pics, thank you for sharing. Those were tough times. Still tougher times were ahead as the black clouds were rolling in at the horizon...

Hals und Bein Bruch
December 14th, 2008, 01:01
so, HD, how old were u when u first took a pill to feel better or live longer ..? What was that pill..?