PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Installs of FSX on multiple drives, possible?

strykerpsg
August 20th, 2011, 21:56
Harleyman or anyone know if I can have two seperate installs of FSX on two seperate drives? My 130gb Velociraptor is 99% full and giving me grief, so I installed a 600gb Velociraptor to begin a new install but everytime I try to install, I only get the repair or uninstall options.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

kilo delta
August 21st, 2011, 03:13
Handiest way to achieve what you're looking to do is to manually copy over your whole fsx folder to the new drive,delete the old installation and run the freeware Flight1 registry repair program to point to the new installation. Bear in mind that some of your addons may still require being re-installed.

txnetcop
August 21st, 2011, 05:54
Handiest way to achieve what you're looking to do is to manually copy over your whole fsx folder to the new drive,delete the old installation and run the freeware Flight1 registry repair program to point to the new installation. Bear in mind that some of your addons may still require being re-installed.

Yep great advice and it works!!!
Ted

Naismith
August 21st, 2011, 10:36

Yes good stuff but not answering the original Q of two separate installs on different drives. I don't think you can, I have two copies of FSX, an original issue one from 2006 and a Gold version I bought last year as insurance. I tried installing on two different drives and it refused to allow, all I got was the options of uninstalling or repairing. Unlike FS9 and CFS2 where if you alter the names of the cfg it appears not possible. Of course there may be a clever way of doing it but I have yet to hear.
I wish it were possible as I have two legit serial nos so it's not like I am cheating MS. I would like one as a testbed.

strykerpsg
August 21st, 2011, 10:45
All good ideas, but it is as Naismith stated, not my original problem. Bottom line is my original HDD is 99% full and have noticed REX no longer works as advertised and constantly getting CTDs that allow me about 30 minutes of flight and then CTD or stops responding. So, purchased a 600GB Velociraptor and am slowly going to move all files onto it.

TXNETCOp, can I move my aircraft folder onto the new HDD and save some time not re-installing all of them? If so, what folders must I move to successfully keep them operating on the new HDD?

Thanks to all for responding. It's always been the wealth of knowledge on this website thats kept me coming back everyday. Appreciate all the help.

Matt

gigabyte
August 21st, 2011, 16:53
Not sure if this will interest you, but I played with two methods to have two copies of FSX on the same system - I actually have 3 original copies of the sim and I can't explain why I have 3 because I don't know...lol

These are not perfect but they will work, you can set-up a dual boot with Win7 and XP (or Vista - that is what I had and it worked fine) then install FSX as per normal on the new clean 2nd OS, the neat thing is if you are really into poking around you can simply copy your original install to the new partition and overwrite the fresh install then you have two exact duplicates. You do have to make sure you get all the config files and saved flights from the My Docs/FSX folder but it can be done.

The other option (this is what I use now for testing) is set up an XP Virtual machine (if you have Win7 it is easy) then it is the same as the dual boot, but easier, just copy the original install from the Win 7 partition to the XP Virtual machine and you are good to go. The XP Virtual machine set-up works very well for me, the only drawback is the 4 gig memory limit, but that is an XP thing anyway.

If you have not tried Win7 "XP Mode" (which is the MS way of saying Virtual machine) give it a try, it is very handy, and you will still have access to all of your Win7 drives and folders, they show in My Computer as Mapped Network Shares.