PDA

View Full Version : VRS "Tac Pack".....anyone know the status?

Navy Chief
August 19th, 2011, 15:29
I prepaid for this add on way back in February, and it still has NOT been released. VRS is not exactly providing much information about when this addon will ever see daylight.

Anyone have some inside information?

Had I known it would have taken this long, they certainly would not have gotten my money. This is ridiculous.

NC

flaviossa
August 19th, 2011, 15:49
Thatīs what may happens with the "PrePay" stuff... I have made this kind of buying before (Not fs related) and my money went MIA :censored:

But in the other hand, i know that VRS group is very serious and i think the package will see the light of the day sometime. And you will be very pleased with it!

kcgb
August 19th, 2011, 17:05
The last update was 4 days ago
http://forums.vrsimulations.com/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6839

Phantom88
August 20th, 2011, 04:20
If the VRS SuperHornet is any indication[and I believe it is] then VRS are breaking FSX boundaries and striving to release a bug free product.This does take time.

Navy Chief
August 20th, 2011, 05:06
The last update was 4 days ago
http://forums.vrsimulations.com/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6839

I must be reading the VRS forums wrong, because the latest update I read was from the middle of June?

idahosurge
August 21st, 2011, 03:39
Go look at the last post in the tread and you will see screenshots that were added on 8/16.

I have to admit when they first annouced this I thought that I would probably not buy it, but in the past couple of months I have decided that I probably will.

Looking at those screenshots of the that carrier sinking sure make me think that this is one addon that is going to be really cool.

strykerpsg
August 21st, 2011, 10:38
You know, seeing the carrier destruction leaves me to wonder how in depth the detail may become. Afterall, no carrier goes around unprotected, so will that mean AAA/SAM suites added to various add on ship packages too? Feels like the Janes F/A-18 again...the heyday of Microprose.

Matt

Navy Chief
October 11th, 2011, 20:01
Any news on if this will be released THIS year? Last I checked, October was not considered Summer....yet VRS website still says it is taking "Preorders" for release of this addon in early 2011.

Yeah right.

It would be nice if they would at least provide some information. I am disappointed, to say the least.

NC

kcgb
October 11th, 2011, 20:52
This was the last update on the 3rd of october

OK so there's where we're at...

Many are becoming impatient -
understandable, but also unavoidable since we have no intention of releasing
half-baked software. Sorry, but that's the way it is. There's really no point in
pressing the issue since nothing anyone can say or do is going to have any
effect other than distracting the very people involved in completing this
project in the first place.

Right now the holdup is pretty much down to
avionics, documentation, and of course testing. All systems are in and working,
but there's a number of GPS weapons including the slammer and harpoons which
need finished avionic interfaces and that's what I'm doing right now (when I'm
not spending time writing this). These weapons store their own navigational
fixes for launch point and targets on a per-station basis as well at target of
opportunity modes. It's complicated, it's time-consuming, and right now I'm the
only one working on it, so I'm going as fast as I can. I really don't know what
else to offer. It's slow, tedious and that's pretty much it.

I have
created a Tacpack discussion forum which will open shortly. Our internal beta
testers are standing by for the first beta which I expect to release by the end
of next week. Whether my exceptions are correct or not depends entirely on,
well, me.

The Tacpack mega thread was locked because it was deteriorating
into the usual "when's it ready" posts, that again, aren't going to make it
ready any faster. Any further "when's it ready?" posts will likewise go away for
the same reason.

CodyValkyrie
October 11th, 2011, 23:57
I would like to point out, having gotten first hand experience with the upcoming TacPac when I did the promotional video, it is going to be well worth the wait. Furthermore, having been very close to Jon and his family, I assure you he has full intentions of finishing this thing in a suitable and timely manner in which there will be no "half-baked" solution. It will be everything you hope it will be, and as has been advertised. Under normal circumstances I myself might be a bit skeptical, but this is not a normal company, and this product is not normal. He spent three years developing it for FS2004, he has no intention of seeing this go unanswered.

Your wait will be worth it, I assure you. They're close.

MenendezDiego
October 12th, 2011, 01:38
Still no option for GBU-38's or single GBU-12's?

Come on...really?

MudMarine
October 12th, 2011, 05:33
I pre-paid also.....mistake! Next thing you know they'll be using the "soon" word. It looks awesome but I can't say I'm very happy about the LOOOOONG wait. Such is life.

Navy Chief
October 12th, 2011, 08:47
Cody, (and others too!)

Thanks much for the update. I understand the developers want to ensure their product is free of problems prior to release. I simply wish they were more responsive with updates concerning it!

NC

Barnes
October 12th, 2011, 09:25
I love the VRS hornet but im very glad i have not prepayed for the tack pack if they have the audacity to say to people who have payed good money "There's really no point in pressing the issue since nothing anyone can say or do is going to have any effect other than distracting the very people involved in completing this project in the first place."

There is no excuse for being so arrogant to those customers who have paid good money and the deadline has slipped. I bet they wont refund and will be quick enough to say they wont!!

FSN
October 12th, 2011, 09:37
Tricky stuff this pre-pay business. VRS are of course one of the best FS Devs going and the hype for the Tac Pack is big enough that they don't really need pre-sales maybe? I dunno.

MudMarine
October 12th, 2011, 09:59
I pre-paid because my past experiences had been very positive with VRS. The Tac-Pack experience........not so positive. I hope they renew my faith some how?!

Barnes
October 12th, 2011, 10:14
I cant believe that they are still saying that it will be out this summer on their home page - it just reduces credibility.

jmig
October 12th, 2011, 16:21
When a company doesn't tell people what is going on, the rumor mill will. The rumor mill is always inaccurate and it is NEVER good for the company. Without facts, the rumors become the facts.

That is just a fact of life.

I am like Mud Marine. The next time someone asks for money upfront, I will think twice about pulling the CC. As someone who has paid in advance for the product, I feel I am OWED updates and information. I have purchased the updates.

MudMarine
October 13th, 2011, 03:25
Copy that Jmig! As far as I'm concerned, I paid for something, at the least I should be getting email updates from VRS. So far my box is empty!

Navy Chief
October 13th, 2011, 04:51
I actually emailed VRS support, asking about the status of the addon. Not surprisingly, they have not responded. I don't expect them to, considering their arrogant attitude about questions concerning the delay in release of Tac Pack.

They do make fine products. I bought their Hornet. But I believe they are making a big mistake by being so silent about this.

NC

jdhaenens
October 13th, 2011, 06:50
I have prepaid as well and although I don't care for the silent treatment, I don't know that updates would help or be able to describe what's going on. The last update did pretty well.

Developing the real thing took an enormous group of scientists and engineers a good number of years to perfect. Even if you took out all the mechanical build/test cycles, you'd still find a tremendous amount of time spent on development. What is being developed is almost as complex as building the whole simulator, but on top of that, you need to interface with the current program.

A lot of folks missed the fact that the latest Prepar3D version added the capability to tag each instance of a simobject. This change to the basic code structure will surely be used by Lockheed Martin to gain internal targeting capability on different instances of targeted simobjects be they buildings, aircraft, or whatever. Lockheed Martin has the folks that can make that happen as an internal improvement to the software.

Jon Blum and his group have to make all this ride on top of (or beside?) the software, but yet be acessable to your wishes in any aircraft with the capability. I don't know about yours, but my installation of FSX goes into the gigabits of code.

...and the race to do all this right, as accurately as possible, and as quickly as possible is a highly competitive endeavor where any information could be used by competitors.

I have loaned at least three entities the use of the Fallon targets (SA-6 thru SA-13 batteries and buildings) for testing and development. One has the NAS as well.

Having said all that, the secrecy doesn't surprise me, nor does the time it takes to do it right.

Jim

Phantom88
October 13th, 2011, 16:30
Nicely Stated Jim:applause:

MudMarine
October 13th, 2011, 16:37
That's all fine but don't publish a release date! No soon, No spring, No summer, No fall or winter.......working on it, when it's done we'll release it.

jmig
October 13th, 2011, 16:58
Jim, The issue with VRS's silence is that when we prepaid, we in essence became investors. Neither you or I would invest money in a start up company or and invention and not expect regular updates on the progress. If they are having issues and problem in coding, fine, just be up front and tell their investors the truth. I am in no rush. I would like to be told, however, my money hasn't gone into a black hole, never to be seen again.

While I agree VRS products or very good, I will think long and hard the next time someone asks for "prepayment," be it VRS or some other developer. So in essence they are hurting the entire developer community.

Navy Chief
October 13th, 2011, 16:58
That's all fine but don't publish a release date! No soon, No spring, No summer, No fall or winter.......working on it, when it's done we'll release it.

Exactly....

NC

skyblazer3
October 13th, 2011, 18:58
I wonder how the guys who invested in "Fighter Ops" feel.......

strykerpsg
October 13th, 2011, 19:25
I wonder how the guys who invested in "Fighter Ops" feel.......

Wow! There's a title from eons past and still not developed. I thought that one to be vaporware.

As for my pre-pay with the Tac Pack, I did also buy but having spent much time in their forums and having their Bug, I am not willing to discredit their failed launch window. I would much rather get their completed product versus a rush to meet a deadline and patch as we can type of release, as many more seem to do of late. I stand by them unjaded and content.

Matt

Francois
October 14th, 2011, 07:53
While I agree VRS products or very good, I will think long and hard the next time someone asks for "prepayment," be it VRS or some other developer. So in essence they are hurting the entire developer community.

I was thinking EXACTLY that when I found this thread. Been playing with some pre-pay ideas myself recently (and have actually pre-paid some developers in the past), but projects like these - and the associated bad press - make it a scary path for many possible 'investors'. And lord knows this business is scary enough as it is already ! :rolleyes:

Mind you, they have delivered good stuff in the past, so I guess it will be alright in the long run. But getting money to survive is becoming increasingly more difficult in this world :-(

Navy Chief
December 14th, 2011, 16:59
Well I supposed VRS will soon have to change the year on their "Pre Order" description to read, "2012", eh?

Doesn't appear it will be released this year.

Grrrrr...... NC

Roadburner440
December 15th, 2011, 03:12
I love the Hornet myself, and also pre-ordered the Tac Pack without question when it became available.. Granted while I am inpatient in the back of my mind I hope when it does hit my PC it blows me away. They did some amazing things with the F/A-18E, and hopefully they can teach an old dog new tricks with the Tac Pack. I do agree however that it was probably bad taste to put out a summer release, and then miss the mark by such a large margin. It has happened to us too though. I know from my stand point I get disappointed in myself whenever we can't deliver on time. It is always nice getting peoples kind words and opinions at the end of a project so we can apply the lessons learned to the next one.

Paul Domingue
December 15th, 2011, 15:04
I have to say so far I have a lot of confidence in the people at VRS and I can understand the problems invoved in making this TACPACK. I've noticed that they take a lot of time to get all the bugs worked out before a release as seen with some of the beta testing. I prepaid when it first was announced just on the basis of the Vbug, I can wait till it's right.

Paul

Navy Chief
December 31st, 2011, 20:04
Well, it's officially 2012, and VRS hasn't released it yet. Heck, in just a few days, they will have had my money for an entire year!

Maybe it's just me, but doesn't that sound a little wrong?

NC

Phantom88
December 31st, 2011, 20:58
Patience
Y-bPxOM0jYs

idahosurge
January 1st, 2012, 04:24
Since no one has said anything about this I will, look at what they have done for FLIR in TacPack, see the youtube link in the first post.
http://forums.vrsimulations.com/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=7654

Here is the latest update, they still have not released it to beta for the general population, but when it finally does arrive it looks like it will be great, Adiemus on page 6 and VRS Varmint on page 7.
http://forums.vrsimulations.com/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=7471&start=75

jmig
January 1st, 2012, 05:00
Did inflation go up or down last year? I want to know when we do get it, if I will have paid more because of inflation? :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

:icon29: Happy New Year Everyone

Navy Chief
January 1st, 2012, 05:35
Did inflation go up or down last year? I want to know when we do get it, if I will have paid more because of inflation? :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

That's an interesting viewpoint:)

Roadburner440
January 1st, 2012, 06:20

Well if fuel/food prices are any indicator (which miraculously are not used to measure inflation) then you sure did pay more for it when you pre-ordered it than you have now. I never really thought about it like that, but thanks for pointing it out. I still have high hopes for the product.. The F/A-18E itself was a long time coming, so the TACPACK is seeming to follow in its foot steps. Think you guys need to start flying other stuff than just Navy birds. :icon_lol: Guess it is a lesson though. I am sure John did not mean for it to drag out this long, but it is the first and probably last time I pre-order something for FSX though.

Bone
January 1st, 2012, 09:04
Honestly, I have never understood why so many flightsimmers like to prepay, even in light of a 10 or 15 percent discount. Too many things can go wrong with that.

Daube
January 1st, 2012, 11:06
That FLIR system is one of the major achievements ever comited in the FS series, yet nobody reacted on this...
Thanks Phantom for posting that video.
It is to me one additionnal (and excellent) reason to wait for this addon.

Navy Chief
January 1st, 2012, 11:07
Honestly, I have never understood why so many flightsimmers like to prepay, even in light of a 10 or 15 percent discount. Too many things can go wrong with that.

Well, I didn't pre-pay because of a discount (can't even remember if there was one). I simply wanted to pay for it, and wait for a download link that I perceived would be emailed to me soon afterwards.

Am sure this product will be a fine one, but I won't opt for the pre-pay option next time.

Pete

jmig
January 1st, 2012, 12:40

I do it as a way of encouraging the developer. The discount, while nice, isn't that important for me. But then, saving money has never been a high priority for me. I have business partners, wife and CPA to do that for me. :icon_lol: I have more money because of them than I ever did when I was managing my money.

Stickshaker
January 2nd, 2012, 02:48
Encouragement of developers is my reason for pre-paying too, and I'm sure I won't be disappointed with the TacPac.

strykerpsg
January 2nd, 2012, 10:58
I too am very much looking forward to this and the FSX@war that will work with it too. I have been struggling to get Janes F/A-18 working again in Windows7, but it's harkens of the dark days of MSDOS configuring/struggling. Anyway, with all the fantatic scenery and weather addons in FSX and the high fidelity that comes with VRS, life's gonna be grand.

Matt

Roadburner440
January 2nd, 2012, 12:25
I will admit that my sole reason for pre-paying was for the discount. While $10 isn't a whole lot of money. It is 30% of the TacPacks cost, and money that I can roll over in to purchasing other add ons. Any bit of FSX money I can shuffle around helps, and that $10 wound up being used for the Captain Sim 9.99 sale so it all worked out. :jump: I don't think in the future we will ever get a pre-pay option again. VRS is the only one I have ever seen do it. I have not heard of it anywhere else. At least John is a man of his word and we will get the TacPack at some point. Just it has taken longer than I think any of us though.

CodyValkyrie
January 2nd, 2012, 13:03
At least John is a man of his word and we will get the TacPack at some point. Just it has taken longer than I think any of us though.
Having ate dinner with his family many times and hung out as great friends, I am thoroughly inclined to agree. He is an absolutely great person. It is a shame I no longer live so far away, and I truly miss his company. Those FLIR images.... DROOOOOOL.