PDA

View Full Version : A Sense of Speed

Phantom88
August 18th, 2011, 16:37
This is not a complaint but more of an observation I have in FSX.I can never really get a good sense of speed no matter what my airspeed is!! After 180kts everything feels the same.

I found this vid/post in the DCS Warthog forum,and although The A-10 is a slow plane by Military jet standards,This vid really demonstrates what I find unattainable in FSX.A good sense of speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBV75SrTgMY&feature=related

krazycolin
August 18th, 2011, 16:44
Nice flying... very...

falcon409
August 18th, 2011, 16:48
Hmmm, nice vid for about a minute and a half and then the "Pull up" "Pull up" got annoying. I see what you refer to as a "sense of speed", but based on that video, flying at what appears to be about 30ft off the deck, you can get that same sensation from just about any Fighter in FSX. Speaking from experience though, and something that I always assumed would be obvious. . .the higher the altitude, the less a sensation of speed. Unless you plan on flying at treetop level all the time, the sensation isn't always going to mimic your airspeed, not unless you have telephone poles at 10,000ft.:salute:

PRB
August 18th, 2011, 17:03
Well, one reason for the "sense of speed" in that video is that the A-10 is going about 900 knots... :icon_lol: I think a lot of that sensation has to do with the size of the monitor. I've found what I consider the correct "sense" with FSX. As far as I can tell, that is...

warchild
August 18th, 2011, 17:38
even in the real birds theres no sense of speed until you get down low, and i mean really low, be cause once your in the air, theres nothing to relate too to give you that sense..

heywooood
August 18th, 2011, 17:39
well I have DCS A-10 and it really does a lot of things better than FSX - and if I'm doing a video whereby I am trying to demonstrate the sense of speed the OP is talking about, flying fast and low but using FSX, I am going to have a stuttering mess with whipsawing frame rates and it doesn't really matter about the rig as everyone knows FSX is poorly optimized.

Popping helo's and trainbusting in the DCS HOG is nothing but fun - and pretty.

kilo delta
August 19th, 2011, 03:08
Take any fast jet (or even my favourite..the BAe Hawk trainer) at 350-400kts through the Welsh mountains in FSX to feel what a sense of speed is! :icon_lol:

Chuck_Jodry-VJPL
August 19th, 2011, 04:56
A Need for Speed is what you have going up the Grand Canyon at river level, the OzX boys did a top class scenery for the region, combined with an acrobatic aircraft the experience has few equals , when you get really good the challenge is to do it inverted.

The WestcoastATC servers host Props Air Racing , I have been a member since 2005 , Thursdays sessions have seen 10 - 15 white knuckled guys running P51D`s up the Canyon , or 4SD , same feeling of speed going around those pylons. <o:p></o:p>

Bone
August 19th, 2011, 05:27
Just about all the fighter guys I've ever talked to say that their first time to go low and really fast didn't give them the sense of speed that they previously thought they would get. Essentially, the sensation they got in reality was quite lackluster compared to their imagined expectation. The exception being the F-111 drivers, and even then that was when they had those rare chances to push it up to mach 1.0 to 1.2.

I watched the video and it was fun, but if you ever tried that same flight in a real jet that could attain the same relative speed shown (NOT an A-10), you'd be dead in about 20 seconds.

kilo delta
August 19th, 2011, 06:40
I only just watched the A10 vid now...does it appear as though it's speeded up or perhaps that's just down to the perspective of being zoomed out in the vc.

kilo delta
August 19th, 2011, 06:43
I watched the video and it was fun, but if you ever tried that same flight in a real jet that could attain the same relative speed shown (NOT an A-10), you'd be dead in about 20 seconds.

You haven't posted one of your CRJ headcam vids in a while...maybe you could incorporate an impromptu low level section on your next leg?:icon_lol::icon29:

falcon409
August 19th, 2011, 06:46
. . . . . . . .I watched the video and it was fun, but if you ever tried that same flight in a real jet that could attain the same relative speed shown (NOT an A-10), you'd be dead in about 20 seconds.
While I was at Al Jaber AB in Kuwait we had the A-10's there from Willow Grove, Pa., and one day the Commander came by to "Shoot the S___t" with us and a few of his troops and told us that the A-10 was the only Fighter that had ever taken a Bird Strike from the rear, lol (Note: even though we'd heard that one many times before, it WAS the Commander, so we laughed anyway, lol). Duly noted Bone, A-10's aren't speed-demons, lol.:salute: