PDA

View Full Version : framerate question

burcham8
August 18th, 2011, 13:29
Guys,
I had some work done on my computer and it has affected CFS2 in some way. I have a new video card but the graphics stink. I know the card has a good driver because I saw the IT guys install it.
Sometimes, in minipanel view the reticle will go all fuzzy and when I shoot down an enemy a/c, it takes forever to fly through the smoke. :sleep:
Is this a framerate issue, i.e., if I selected a lower target framerate, would this be better?

Marc

makes me want to have a :icon29:, or even better a :guinness:

simonu
August 18th, 2011, 15:10
Marc, check your CFS2 settings, Your frames rates sound so bad I'd guess something is wrong, like your hardware is not recognised or accelerated graphics is not enabled.
On the first settings in the display box Uncheck auto-performance adjustment, then click the advanced button.
On the advanced display settings Hardware tab you should see your hardware listed in the device box, if not then windows hasn't recognised your card (this is unlikely) and you must try reinstalling it or reloading drivers.
Make sure Enable Hardware acceleration is checked, check Triliniar filtering, MIP mapping, Anti Alias, T and L. Set your Screen Resolution to something sensible mine is 1280x1024x16. On the image Quality Tab, check all the boxes and set all the sliders to the right except the top one. Hopefully you found the hardware acceleration box unchecked, But what we have done is maxed everything! is that counter intuitive? Bare in mind that CFS2 was made 10 years ago, any reasonably modern hardware really should be able to cope with CFS2 the auto performance adjustment should not be needed.
If this does not help perhaps you should tell us a bit more about the system you are using.

burcham8
August 20th, 2011, 17:59
Hey!

I tried your ideas and they ddid help a bit. :jump: BUT, I still have a couple of issues: when I use the hat switch to look around, the reticle goes all blurry when I go back to the default front view; it seems that the edges of all of the default scenery go all "rectangly." :sleep: WOW!

Marc

simonu
August 21st, 2011, 13:21
Just let me know what sort of computer equipment you are using, "high spec but old" "new consumer grade", An on board grahic card, even of a new machine will struggle to load images fast enough for good game play. but you know you have a good graphic card installed , but just cos you saw some tech guy fit it means nothing, what did he fit? it should have a settings control panel do you know how to find it?

burcham8
August 21st, 2011, 18:33
Actually no, I'm not sure I can find the settings of the card. It is, however, a RAGE XL video card. And what I meant to say before is that I saw him download the latest driver for it.

Marc

Ian Astill
August 21st, 2011, 23:17
Rage XL was a low-cost RAGE Pro-based solution. As a low-power solution with capable 2D-acceleration, the chip was used on many low-end graphics cards. It was also seen on Intel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel) motherboards, as recently as 2004, and was still used in 2006 for server motherboards. The Rage XL has been succeeded by the ATI ES1000 for server use.
The chip was basically a die-shrunk Rage Pro, optimized to be very inexpensive for solutions where only basic graphics output was necessary.

Is this the one you have?

simonu
August 22nd, 2011, 17:24
I found a stack of ati rage pro cards (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Rage#RAGE_XL) at a thrift store a few years back now they were good in their time, very similar spec to the things apple put in the first blue and white G3 jobs. The "128" attracted me, turned out not to be the amount of memory however! It would struggle with CFS1, I think you should do the exact oppisite of what I first said, recheck auto performance, all sliders to the left. look out for a more modern graphic card, may be ATI "radeon600" or better.
It says on the CFS2 box it will run on a 3d card with 4mb of video ram! well yes, it will run but you want at least 64mB and will see a vast improvement with 512mb

Worthless
August 23rd, 2011, 06:34
It just goes to show how much I don't know and how much value this forum adds for everyone. By making the few changes suggested by Simonu all my FrmRate problems have faded away. I doubt if they would have ever occurred to me. I'll be adjusting all of my installs accordingly. Thanks much S.

simonu
August 23rd, 2011, 15:52
Im glad someone was helped, even if it wasnt the OP, and its nice to get some feed back. You are welcome Worthless.

burcham8
August 26th, 2011, 05:33
Sorry to have been so long in replying, I'm the only staff minister at my church currently...
Your suggestions did help a little. However, I just asked my IT guys to stick another card in. I'll know more when I get it back today. Much obliged, anyway.

Marc

burcham8
August 26th, 2011, 12:39
A brand-new NVIDIA card works wonders!!!!:guinness:

Marc