PDA

View Full Version : The Fairchild AT-21

Helldiver
August 13th, 2011, 04:53
Back when the world was real and jerks like Barret Tillman was not writing his fables, we knew that B-17Gs, P-51Ds and F4U Corsairs were not really winning the war. – Not by a long shot.
A plane appeared from Fairchild, called the AT-21. It was used to train Bombardiers/Navigators and Aerial Gunners. It was called the "Baby Hudson Bomber", another very important, but kind of forgotten, lend-lease aircraft.
It had unusual tri-cycle landing gear that it shared with two other under-rated but great aircraft, the P-39 Aircobra and the Consolidated B-24.
It also had water-cooled Ranger engines of 550 HP each, its top speed was 220 MPH. it’s ceiling was 22,000 feet.
Not particularly fast or high flying it was good enough to do its job. But I think it was great looking airplane. A far as I can ascertain there is only one ready to be restored.
Possibly some FSX airplane designer will take on this fine looking aircraft as a project.
Oh, as far as Tillman is concerned, in Flight Journal he’s got Essex Class Carriers going at 25 MPH when recovering aircraft. Mine would go 37 Knots or 42 MPH at flank speed. He got them "trapping" airplanes. That only came out with jets as well as measuring fuel by weight. We used a good old reliable fuel gage.
Plus, what’s worst of all, he believes the Helldiver was a "dog". What does he know? He was hanging around in his old man’s jock strap when these fine aircraft were flying.

CWOJackson
August 13th, 2011, 05:21
Dang, looks like the result of an illicit affair between a Hudson and a Lancaster.

italoc
August 13th, 2011, 05:22
Good idea :applause:
Hope someone takes up the challenge !!!
BTW I like Helldiver's way of explaining his views on matters concerning things he experienced personally :applause:
Italo

Daveroo
August 13th, 2011, 07:26
thats a "sexy" airplane..wish someone would make that..who is this guy helldiver speaks of?...i want to avoid his books or whatever

Naismith
August 13th, 2011, 09:34
http://www.btillman.com/

TARPSBird
August 13th, 2011, 12:06
thats a "sexy" airplane..wish someone would make that..who is this guy helldiver speaks of?...i want to avoid his books or whatever
Barrett Tillman is a well-known aviation author with far better credentials than most. He frequently posts on my F-8 Crusader list and he has good credibility for both his knowledge of aviation and aviation history. The fact that Helldiver has written him off as a "jerk" because of what he's written in a Flight Journal article should not deter you from reading Tillman's books. This is a classic example where one person's negative opinion can put off other people from enjoying somebody else's good writing. Go online at www.bn.com (http://www.bn.com) and read some of the readers' opinions of Tillman's books and make up your own mind.

jojohnson9
August 13th, 2011, 12:56
Helldiver, I normally ignore your ravings. But to refer to Barrett Tillman as a "jerk" is over the top and foolish. His knowledge of World War II aircraft and carriers is vastly greater than what you know...or think you know. And carriers do not recover aircraft at FLANK speed...more like 25 knots.
Being a World War II vet does not give license to be an ass.
For all you members who want to yell at me for being nasty to an old vet, please pause. I, too, am an old combat veteran...retired Chief Petty Officer with 20 years of Naval Aviation service, most during the Vietnam thing.

Barnes
August 13th, 2011, 13:04
I think you have a valid POV JoJohnson :salute:

PRB
August 13th, 2011, 13:11
... And carriers do not recover aircraft at FLANK speed...more like 25 knots. ...

As I'm sure you know, it could be even slower than that. Depends on the prevailing wind. I've stood on the flight deck of carriers (CVN-65 and 68) conducting flight ops with big heavy jets while steaming at no more than 10 or 15 knots. Like so many things in life, it worth remembering to "keep it as simple as possible ... but no simpler..." :icon_lol:

N2056
August 13th, 2011, 13:37
Gentlemen, I have to request that the discussion remain civil or it goes down. Certain rules apply here regardless of anybody's background.

Barnes
August 13th, 2011, 13:53
I cant say that the Fairchild AT-21 would be on my wishlist of the 30 aircraft i would most like in FSX -actually a good Helldiver would be.

huub vink
August 13th, 2011, 14:19
I cant say that the Fairchild AT-21 would be on my wishlist of the 30 aircraft i would most like in FSX -actually a good Helldiver would be.

Well perhaps you will have your Helldiver:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?55866-RAZBAM-SB2C-5-Helldiver&highlight=helldiver

Barnes
August 13th, 2011, 14:47
Thanks Huub - had forgotten that superb rendition is on its way :jump:

TARPSBird
August 13th, 2011, 16:09
To get the thread back to lesser-known aircraft we'd like to see in FSX, how about the Martin AM-1 Mauler? This aircraft was an unsuccessful competitor of the Douglas AD Skyraider and served in the fleet for barely two years before going to the Reserves.

jojohnson9
August 13th, 2011, 17:51
This thread starts with an incredible attack on a very distinguished aviation author. Then there seems to be a request for an AT-21, an aircraft which proved to be unsuitable for any training...pilot, bombing, or gunner. (Look it up!) It finishes with further attacks on Mr.Tillman. These attacks seem to be rooted in Mr. Tillman's dislike of the SB2C. As in the past, anyone who even hints that the SB2C is not the greatest plane in aviation history is hated by the starter if this thread.
I will say it, "The SB2C 'Helldiver' was a piece of ****." LOOK IT UP!!! Any objective researcher will come to a similar conclusion.
This miserable and idiotic thread should have been locked after the initial post, please do it now.

N2056
August 13th, 2011, 18:01
Done.

This entire thread has been forwarded to the upper management for review. In the future I intend to be more critical of things posted here that are not directly related to FSX.