PDA

View Full Version : A Few Questions That Don’t Deserve Their Own Thread Individually.

Walter
August 12th, 2011, 17:47
1. Why can't I land on the default scenery buildings, and how can I fix it so that I can use them to practice really short landings?

2. Why aren't some of the default FSX planes AI while others are, and how can I make them AI?

3. What is the best program to make FSX planes and make repaints?

4. Why am I asking so many questions? :mixedsmi:

anthony31
August 12th, 2011, 17:56
1. To land on a scenery object it needs to have a special polygon within the model to make it a landable platform. Without that special polygon you can't land on it. You can't fix it.

2. You can make aircraft AI by creating new traffic files using a program such as AIFP. Traffic files consist of three parts, the aircraft, the airports and the flightplans which tell FSX which aircraft to fly between which airport. AIFP and other such AI flight plan editors allow you to create your own flightplans using any aircraft you like.

3. Best program is Autodesk 3DS Max. Second best is GMAX, third best is Abacus FSDS. Best program for repaints is Photoshop, second best is any paint program that can handle layers. You also need a copy of DXTBMP.

4. You've got too much free time. I suggest you take up a nice relaxing hobby.

Walter
August 12th, 2011, 18:24
Sweet! That was exactly what I was looking for!

Just one more - Is it possible to put tundra tires on the default Piper Cub?

Thank you,

Walter :jump:

Kiwikat
August 12th, 2011, 18:44
Just one more - Is it possible to put tundra tires on the default Piper Cub?

No.

Go do yourself a HUGE favor and buy the A2A Cub with Accusim. The tundra tires variant is absolutely amazing. :wavey:

pilottj
August 12th, 2011, 18:53
What Kiwi said! lol. Go get the A2A Cub with Accusim. :mixedsmi: Here is Cody's 'patch' video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LV0tSc1mkY

Walter
August 12th, 2011, 19:02
Ok. Ill go that route!

And I lied... another one... Can you use the water landing technique for slowing the plane down with full crash detection?

Thanks again,

Walter

falcon409
August 12th, 2011, 19:39
That one's got me. . . .what do you mean by the "water landing technique"? Just as a general reference. . .all objects contain a "boundingbox" which is an invisible box that surrounds the object. With full crash detection on, it's possible to actually miss a tree or edge of a building (visually) but still crash due to the boundingbox which is larger than the object. That's not always the case, but if you're going to use crash detection all the time, you have to be aware of that.:salute:

Kiwikat
August 12th, 2011, 19:45
That one's got me. . . .what do you mean by the "water landing technique"? Just as a general reference. . .all objects contain a "boundingbox" which is an invisible box that surrounds the object. With full crash detection on, it's possible to actually miss a tree or edge of a building (visually) but still crash due to the boundingbox which is larger than the object. That's not always the case, but if you're going to use crash detection all the time, you have to be aware of that.:salute:

He means landing on water with the tundra tires just off shore and rolling on shore. It is a technique used to land in very confined areas. It is pretty difficult to do the first few times. It really grabs the plane hard.

I don't fly with crash enabled so I couldn't tell you. I know if I crashed or not, I don't need FS to tell me and waste my time restarting.

falcon409
August 12th, 2011, 19:48
He means landing on water with the tundra tires just off shore and rolling on shore. It is a technique used to land in very confined areas. It is pretty difficult to do the first few times. It really grabs the plane hard.
Ah yea, ok, tried that a few times and it's not real easy to master.

I don't fly with crash enabled so I couldn't tell you. I know if I crashed or not, I don't need FS to tell me and waste my time restarting.
Amen to that, turned it off the first time I flew on an MP session and never turned it back on.:salute:

Tako_Kichi
August 12th, 2011, 19:50
Can you use the water landing technique for slowing the plane down with full crash detection?
If you are talking about the bush pilot's technique for landing on short beaches yes you can with the A2A Cub and it can be seen doing just that in the video shown above.

Any other aircraft is open to question as it depends on how the model/contact points/scrape points have been set up.

Anneke
August 12th, 2011, 23:41
Also possible with the Super Cub from Flight Replica's

Walter
August 13th, 2011, 10:37
I found one building that has the polygons that allow me to land on it and practice my short take offs and landings. It might be a glitch, but I'm not complaning. :mixedsmi:

It tests my skills... a lot!

pilottj
August 13th, 2011, 10:56
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f349/pilottj/panther.jpg
:icon_lol:

Walter
August 13th, 2011, 12:28
Is that the A2A Cub?

Also, I did it again! :icon_lol:

pilottj
August 13th, 2011, 12:39
lol yep, with the tundra tires it is much easier to nose over with too much braking :)

Walter
August 13th, 2011, 13:15
Another question: do you know of any good freeware Cubs with tundra tires?

Kiwikat
August 13th, 2011, 13:35
Another question: do you know of any good freeware Cubs with tundra tires?

Might sound familiar...

Do yourself a favor and buy the A2A Cub with Accusim. Trust me, it is absolutely worth it. No freeware is even in the same dimension as the A2A Cub.

Walter
August 13th, 2011, 13:39
Might sound familiar...

Do yourself a favor and buy the A2A Cub with Accusim. Trust me, it is absolutely worth it. No freeware is even in the same dimension as the A2A Cub.

Haha I was hoping to save some money... guess not in this hobby! :icon_lol:

Ok. I'll take your reccomendation and put it on my list! :mixedsmi:

Thank you,

Walter