PDA

View Full Version : A good reason to include external structures in the VC mdl...

Bone
August 11th, 2011, 13:49
....because real fighter pilots can see the external structures. A fighter pilot isn't locked down into an imovable state in the ejection seat. Looking all around is part of their job.

http://youtu.be/w1f6e27iRTU?t=4m22s

MenendezDiego
August 11th, 2011, 14:17
Love this video.

My roomies dad did a bunch of Cope Thunders flying Eagles.

Regards, Diego

Bone
August 11th, 2011, 14:34
Yeah, I borrowed that video link from you, thanks Diego.

PRB
August 11th, 2011, 14:49
Clark AB! Now that the work is done, time for lumpia and San Miguels in Angeles City! That was a cool video. Thanks for sharing.

TARPSBird
August 12th, 2011, 00:39
Clark AB! Now that the work is done, time for lumpia and San Miguels in Angeles City! That was a cool video. Thanks for sharing.
Sounds good to me. Have a few at the EM club on base to get primed, then head out into town! :icon_lol:

stansdds
August 12th, 2011, 02:07
This is one reason Oleg Maddox disapproves of TrackIR with 6DOF in the Il-2 series, at least up to the Il-2:1946 version. Not all of the aircraft had adequate detail beyond the view from a fixed point, so 6DOF would allow the pilot to look through cracks and openings in the cockpit.

It's also an issue with some aircraft for MSFS as they may lack a nose, so when you lean forward or stretch your neck, you find nothing beyond the windscreen.

n4gix
August 12th, 2011, 07:20
Even with FS9, including "too much" detail in the virtual cockpit model would frequently drag frame rates down into the gutter. With the newer, hotter systems today that isn't so much the case any longer, but then most of the models for FS9 are already built...

For FSX however, the number of polygons is no longer quite that important, although I still persist in deleting polys that simply can NOT be seen without doing unnatural things, such as sticking your head through the canopy, or looking around with the eye on your left big toe...

wiltzei
August 12th, 2011, 07:31
or looking around with the eye on your left big toe...
Why on earth would anybody do so. 45748

Shylock
August 12th, 2011, 12:53
n4gix if you have a eye on your big left toe, take some pics...lol

Cool video

Bone
August 12th, 2011, 13:13
n4gix if you have a eye on your big left toe, take some pics...lol

Cool video

Well, n4gix did a pretty good job of modelling under the instrument panel of the T-38. I think we can guess why. Lol.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/2011-5-24_20-54-3-375-1.jpg

Piglet
August 12th, 2011, 20:17
Lucky pilot in that video! He got a TrackIR 1000!
I kinda look like that while flying DCS A-10. Where's that switch?!?

krazycolin
August 12th, 2011, 21:50
More like "I dropped a contact lens!!!"

fliger747
August 13th, 2011, 10:41
WWII Naval aircraft often depended on the pilot having a dogs view (head almost out the canopy sighting down along the cowl to be able to see the Batsman or LSO. I use this technique when doing carrier ops with such worthies as the F4U and Seafire. Slightly disconcerting if parts are "missing". This includes the nose if one jacks the seat up a bit. Most viewpoints are set too low so as to center on the gunsight, usually the pilot would lean fwd a bit to align with the gunsight, but normally had a higher viewpoint! HUD's hepled this a lot in modern aircraft.

Cheers: T