PDA

View Full Version : Five-shot panorama of the sunset this evening.

Cazzie
August 9th, 2011, 18:50
Taken from the left field bleachers of American Legion Field, home of the Danville Braves, a rookie league affiliate of the Atlanta Brave in Danville, VA.

My PENTAX K-x was on a mono-pod and equipped with an 85-300-mm zoom lens for shooting the ball game. But I always have my 18-85-mm with me. I could tell when it started that this sunset was going to be spectacular and having been a viewer of them all my life, I knew I only had a few minutes. I climbed to the top of the bleachers and extended the mono-pod beyond fence height, then snapped off five shots always leaving a landmark to stitch. The images were stittched in Microsoft ICE and the final image post processed in Photoshop.

EXIF info: ISO 200, Auto-Focus, 2-second self timer (Used to avoid as much movement as possible. These were slow exposure shots, but this method worked with the mono-pod this time), single-shot setting; five individual shots.

The finished image looks from the west-southwest to the west-northwest.

Caz

Tako_Kichi
August 9th, 2011, 20:32
Very nice. I loved taking sunset shots when I was a more active photographer (back in the film days).

luckydog
August 9th, 2011, 20:58
Very nice, Caz.......

demorier
August 11th, 2011, 00:48
Nice shot...those rotten power lines always spoil things.

Cazzie
August 11th, 2011, 05:02
Nice shot...those rotten power lines always spoil things.

In this modern era of graphic editing, I could easily remove them. But they are there in real life and sort of add an ambiance to the scene.

Caz

jmig
August 11th, 2011, 11:04
Lovely sunset. You are really getting good with those panorama shots.

Cazzie
August 11th, 2011, 18:47
John, in all honesty it has nothing to do with "me", Microsoft ICE rocks, you should definitely download the program (it's free) and have a go with that D7000 you have. It's not rocket science to mount a camera on a mono-pod or tripod, shoot-swivel-shoot for three to six shots and let the program do the rest. You will have to post process for dust specks on sensor or lens, light and color levels, resizing, etc. in a top quality graphics program.

Caz

demorier
August 12th, 2011, 00:17
I guess we all like to take sunset shots. Single shot here from tropical Bowen in North Queensland when I was on a little road trip recently.

Panther_99FS
August 12th, 2011, 14:00
Very nice. I loved taking sunset shots when I was a more active photographer (back in the film days).

I've recently noticed that film sunrises/sunsets definitely have a different look from digital...

Cazzie
August 12th, 2011, 14:11
I've recently noticed that film sunrises/sunsets definitely have a different look from digital...

It's in the film's chemistry and the processor's hand. Some film is warm film, they will produce vibrant reds and yellows and are better for sunrise/sunset shots. Colder film has a bluer tint. In digital, you can pave your own road. My shot is well after the sun had set also, demorier's shot is at sunset. My shot will have a more vibrant red shade due to the refracted red light after the sun had set.

Caz

Matt Wynn
August 12th, 2011, 16:44
ahh sunsets... a photographers staple diet :icon_lol:

one from me taken on Kos, Greece recently, looking out towards Kalymnos from the terrace of the apartment, if you look carefully you can see the tower and Terminal of Kalymnos Airport to the left of the setting sun, foreground is the Alykes salt lake, used to be dry when i was a kid, looked like snow, but a year or two ago they opened it up to the Aegean, and in May/Jun time there'll be Flamingoes on the lake, photo taken with my EOS 500D + 75-300mm Lens :salute:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x270/mattwynn/Kos 2011/IMG_0335.jpg

demorier
August 12th, 2011, 17:06
These modern digital cameras I find the auto ISO function is just so good for these low light shots.

Cazzie
August 13th, 2011, 01:43
These modern digital cameras I find the auto ISO function is just so good for these low light shots.

I never use Auto-ISO, I want as little noise as possible, I like 200 - 400 ISO depending on the scene. I mostly use 200 ISO. Auto-ISO in low light will produce too much noise in order to shoot the scene in the shutter speed deemed by the camera. Also, many times, particularly in macro or long range telephoto photography, I find Auto-Focus fairly useless and go to Manual-Focus. I generally shoot in the Aperture Priority ( Av mode) too. That way I can vary my depth-of-field to my liking, not the camera's. I always use a tripod or monopod.

Caz

Panther_99FS
August 13th, 2011, 16:48
You can set the low & high auto-ISO thresholds on most modern DSLRs :mixedsmi: