Panther_99FS
August 8th, 2011, 08:49
http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2011/08/03/captured-somalia-famine/4538/

crashaz
August 8th, 2011, 12:11
:angryfir:

TARPSBird
August 8th, 2011, 12:37
It's a terrible tragedy but you can pretty much assume relief shipments of food and medicine will be confiscated by the local Al Qaeda and other gun-toting a-holes and sold to make a profit. We already got our check in the box for Somalia back in 1993, as I recall it didn't work out very well.

aeronca1
August 9th, 2011, 07:22
It's a terrible tragedy but you can pretty much assume relief shipments of food and medicine will be confiscated by the local Al Qaeda and other gun-toting a-holes and sold to make a profit. We already got our check in the box for Somalia back in 1993, as I recall it didn't work out very well.

I agree. The sad story of Africa. NO MATTER what WE do it will almost always turn out the same. I have lived and traveled extensively on the continent and have come to firmly believe that we should send absolutely nothing there. All we're doing ultimately is putting AK-47s into the hands of children armies.....

We have enough to sort out here on our continent before we meddle where we're not welcome anyway.......

SpitXIV
August 11th, 2011, 09:16
I agree. The sad story of Africa. NO MATTER what WE do it will almost always turn out the same. I have lived and traveled extensively on the continent and have come to firmly believe that we should send absolutely nothing there. All we're doing ultimately is putting AK-47s into the hands of children armies.....

We have enough to sort out here on our continent before we meddle where we're not welcome anyway.......

As the saying goes:

"Those who fail to learn from histories mistakes are doomed to repeat them"
and here we are.

Panther_99FS
August 11th, 2011, 14:33
The reason why Africa is the way it is goes back in part, hundreds of years...

wombat666
August 12th, 2011, 06:48
A very true and sad comment P.
Sofie has just turned down a request from MSF do do another stretch in Africa/Somalia.
Even a dedicated doctor can see the total futility of continuing and in her (very) professional opinion the gross over population of the continent is the root cause of all the misery ..................:kilroy:

mrogers
August 12th, 2011, 14:07
The problem is the tribal altitude/culture and of course the militia cowboys rather than population - population control isn't going to solve the problem. Sad.