PDA

View Full Version : My FSX Is Dumping Files (I Think).

Walter
August 7th, 2011, 18:19
For no reason, my copy of FSX seems to be dumping files. My gauges are missing on the default Beechcraft Baron, but I don't know about the other default planes. Also, my smoke effects are missing on all of my planes.

Has anybody had this issue before? Thanks for your help.

Walter

N2056
August 7th, 2011, 18:23
The first thing to look at in terms of troubleshooting something like this...
Have you done anything lately in terms of modifications?

Walter
August 7th, 2011, 18:27
I have only put planes onto the flight sim. I also put on some new clouds and most of the free REX addons, but those were a while ago.

N2056
August 7th, 2011, 18:36
Then the next thing I wonder about...
Have you changed anything lately on your computer?

Walter
August 7th, 2011, 18:39
As far as I can remember, no. It has been unchanged, unless you want to know that I just updated my McAfee last night. That was after the smoke was missing, and I just noticed that the gauges are missing tonight.

PHo17
August 8th, 2011, 00:34
This may not give answer to your question, but have you been using/testing some program before this happened? There are programs - even otherwise reliable - that may remove important files (they "think" are rubbish) if you aren't very careful. I just tested a clener and it took of all my cookies without warning and now I have to log in everywhere once again (here too).

This also has happened to me before. I install some third party plane or scenery and that overwrites (without warning) some default files. Nowadays I always install planes and sceneries first to some dummy folder and from there to the simulator. I also have a copy of pure FSX installation on external HDD from where I can backup default files if overwritten or disappeared. I also backup all addons.

Pekka

Walter
August 8th, 2011, 06:26
The newest program type thing that I put onto my computer is Skype.

My disc space has been getting very low. Could that possibly be the problem?

roger-wilco-66
August 8th, 2011, 06:54
How low is the disc space you have left? That could be an issue with FSX.

I never heard of or expericenced a loss of files from just FSX running. You could check in the gauges folder if they are still there, or wherever they a referenced to. But I think you will find them there where they should belong.

Maybe you have a messed-up fsx.cfg. That can have pretty wild effects. You could try to rename your old fsx.cfg into fsx.cfg_old and start FSX, then it builds a new one with default entries. Then see what happens...

One thing that once happened to me was that I accidentally moved a folder out of the structure onto another one, but the resulting error was quite obvious.

HTH,
Mark

Walter
August 8th, 2011, 08:27
Well for a while, I had been fighting a losing battle with my disc space. It usually hovered around 2GB free. Now I have 39.6GB free because I transferred some of my planes to my D drive. Here are some screenshots of the missing gauges.