PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair again...

stuartcox
August 5th, 2011, 04:42
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry after reading this!

http://consumerist.com/2011/08/ryanair-treats-passenger-for-heart-attack-with-a-sandwich.html

(http://consumerist.com/2011/08/ryanair-treats-passenger-for-heart-attack-with-a-sandwich.html)Has anybody got change for the defibrillator...?

kilo delta
August 5th, 2011, 04:54
A Ryanair spokesperson told Swedish newspaper The Local that, "In line with procedures for such cases, a Ryanair cabin crew suggested a diversion to the nearest airport or to have an ambulance on standby on arrival at [Stockholm-Skavsta Airport] so that the passenger could receive medical treatment," he said. "However, the passenger's companion, who identified herself as a nurse, declined this offer."
The passenger's family say this didn't happen and no ambulance was there when they landed. They drove their father to the hospital themselves, they said.

Someone is telling porkies....

aeromed202
August 5th, 2011, 06:39
Might not have been an arrest at all. I'd like to know how someone declared that based on what was in the story, would make my job easier for sure. A punch to the chest at the moment of arrest, and if the rhythm is correct, has worked sometimes but then critical steps need to be taken to care for an unstable patient. Refusing diversion or EMS on landing just doesn't fit. I'm thinking maybe deep sleep or sleep apnea which can require some serious stimulus to interrupt. Regardless, it does look bad for the airline.

stansdds
August 6th, 2011, 04:26
Conflicting stories here. One side says the airline was negligent, treated a cardiac emergency with a sandwich and soda that the passenger had to pay for, then did not even call for an ambulance. The other side says they offered to divert to the nearest airport or have an ambulance waiting at the flights destination, but the offer was declined. Who to believe?

There are always three sides to every story. Your side, my side, and the truth.

stuartcox
August 6th, 2011, 05:48
Well, to be honest...
I think the whole story has been over-hyped!
Ryanair has a bad reputation anyway with charges for using the toilet, and 'standing only seats'.
As for Michael O'Leary, in this case it would be worth issuing an official statement.
Don't expect much sense coming out of him though, as he also suggested flight attendants to fly his planes instead of qualified pilots! :-)

AndyG43
August 6th, 2011, 06:13
As for Michael O'Leary, in this case it would be worth issuing an official statement.

Wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it Stuart - O'Leary doesn't believe there is such a thing as bad publicity, good or bad he enjoys it all.

SpitXIV
August 6th, 2011, 12:08
As Spock would say getting off the bus in Star Trek 4

"What does it mean by exact Change"

And they still charged him for the Sandwich? How do they stay in business?

HorusJ
August 6th, 2011, 15:01
I wouldn't have expect any less from "Ryanscare". :a1310: