PDA

View Full Version : Video & Challenge

mfitch
August 2nd, 2011, 20:06
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HlqcQV-KN8

Initially I picked these airports for a sequence of hops through the islands. These two (and one other) were a lot harder than expected. I am glad that I did this in a sim: the number of go arounds was rather high at first.

I would love to see others land at these airports with any, fixed wing aircraft. Try and post if you want.

Unfortunately Heidi's comments were not recorded with the audio (not sure why). They are rather amusing though she liked all three landings after they were done.

warchild
August 2nd, 2011, 20:49
Stupid Flight Sim and its TREES!!!

Let me dig a trench next to the runway while i chop the top of the tree.. Oh yeahhh.. :::lol::..

Well,, I have no qualms saying that this place isnt ever going to be my first or second choice of places to land.. Actually, wth the P-61 perhaps "Land" is much too kind of a term.. more like a controlled crash at 83 mph.. I normally need 900 feety of runway for a short field landing, but this was not even a short field.. It really was, dump the throttle and fall 15 feet.. However... :).. I dood it :) ...

falcon409
August 2nd, 2011, 21:09
What was the "One other" airport you landed at?

mfitch
August 2nd, 2011, 21:14
WA35 Clam Harbor (1st) and
6WA5 Wilding Farm (2nd)

Those were supposed to be labeled. Oops.

warchild
August 2nd, 2011, 21:32
Wilding Farm Ed.

falcon409
August 2nd, 2011, 22:05
Wilding Farm Ed.

Yea, but he said he flew to those two (which I got from the video) and then "one other" which he didn't name and wasn't in the video. :salute:

warchild
August 2nd, 2011, 22:22
Ahhh, yeah.. was my impression as well, but the first landing was at clam harbor.. In FTX PNW its a major bear of a strip.. Mostly uphill, and almost wide enough for a very skinny dog to run up.. His second and third landing was at Wildings Farm. I couldnt load the ftx version of it because it kept putting my plane in the trees and crashing on load up.. Both strips are majorly tiny..

mfitch
August 3rd, 2011, 18:24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AByZBcKh74

This is improved video of landings at WA35 Clam Harbor and 6WA5 Wilding Farm. I figured out the switch to record Heidi's comments. Now that I have practiced more, she doesn't get quite so scared though.

There is no elusive third airport. The route was KORS D-> WA35 D-> 6WA5. The take-off at KORS was not included since it is not scary. The last two landings in the original video are both 6WA5. The first time I used a standard approach and got caught in wind. I had to pull power to flight idle and slip hard with that little plane. The second time and in the new video, knowing the wind problem I approach unusually low to avoid getting caught in the wind. This makes the descent less difficult but means low flight over water.

Good job with the larger plane Warchild.

falcon409
August 3rd, 2011, 19:06
". . . .WERE GONNA CRASH!". . . ."wow. . . .you're a great pilot", lol, lol, pretty funny.

What do you use to piece together the final video? I have a registered version of Fraps and in FS9 I used to do a lot of videos cause I also had "Movie Maker" which was part of Windows. Now with Win7, I don't see that anymore, so I have nothing to take my video's to completion with.:salute:

mfitch
August 3rd, 2011, 21:39
Due to my work I have a copy of Adobe's Production suite which includes Premiere. Editing is easy with this.

Heidi's responses were one of my motivations for the video version. Her responses seem to be triggered by conditions which is why I like using her to measure the quality of my flying.

Dave Torkington
August 3rd, 2011, 23:05
". . . .WERE GONNA CRASH!". . . ."wow. . . .you're a great pilot", lol, lol, pretty funny.

What do you use to piece together the final video? I have a registered version of Fraps and in FS9 I used to do a lot of videos cause I also had "Movie Maker" which was part of Windows. Now with Win7, I don't see that anymore, so I have nothing to take my video's to completion with.:salute:

Hi Falcon,

Have you tried Windows Live Movie Maker? I'm not sure how it compares to the older Movie Maker, but I've managed to do simple editing with it...

http://explore.live.com/windows-live-movie-maker?os=other

falcon409
August 4th, 2011, 04:42
Hi Falcon,

Have you tried Windows Live Movie Maker? I'm not sure how it compares to the older Movie Maker, but I've managed to do simple editing with it...
Thanks Dave. . .got it. I'll give it a go this afternoon, but it looks similar enough to the Movie Maker I remember that it'll probably do everything I want to do with simple videos. Thanks for the HU.:salute:

falcon409
August 4th, 2011, 11:33
I put a short vid together and was going to post it, but I realized it had to be connected to a URL and not just as an attachment. I don't post anything to Youtube, so take my word for it, the landing at Clam Harbor was uneventful with rollout about halfway down the rwy. I haven't tried the other one yet, but it looks pretty easy.:salute: