PDA

View Full Version : SA-2 Samson. . . .worth purchasing?

falcon409
July 31st, 2011, 16:20
I've looked at this for a long time, but even more after seeing "Avatar" about 20 times, lol. Very cool looking chopper, but I'm just wondering. . .is there anything unique about it (other than the design)? Is it simply another Heli that just looks different but flies like all the others?:salute:

flewpastu
July 31st, 2011, 17:39
Baught it last year and its pretty cool. takes some skill to fly the thing but a pretty cool aircraft to have in the Hanger. I love it :guinness:

Bill

falcon409
July 31st, 2011, 17:43
Baught it last year and its pretty cool. takes some skill to fly the thing but a pretty cool aircraft to have in the Hanger. I love it
Bill
Thanks Bill. The price is in my range (one of the few that still is, lol), so I'm thinking it might be a good buy.

mmann
July 31st, 2011, 18:38
You may want to read up on the three pages of posts over at Hovercontrol on the SA-2 Samson:

http://www.hovercontrol.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=1;t=18950

Regards, Mike Mann

falcon409
July 31st, 2011, 20:06
Yep, got most of the necessary info from earlier threads after doing some searching. I went ahead and bought it. Good price, nice texturing. . . .the interior is just too cool, especially when I took the TrackIR out of mothballs and gave it a short flight trial. Taking off is a cinch since even the slightest throttle movement sends it jumping for air. . .hovering is a different story as any reduction in throttle sends it pancaking to terra firma. Hovering is gonna take some serious practice. I can hover any of the current Heli's I have (OH-6, Pyro, Huey), but this one is just different.

I took off from Ranger Creek and did some serious Valley Flying until I emerged just west of Gray AAF and decided to try a landing. I'm using the Low-Def textures for now. I did an install with only the Hi-Def and got some stuttering right off. The low-def are fine and the only real obvious loss I can see is in the avionics displays. They are a tad fuzzy compared to the hi-def stuff. I can live with that though. Overall. . .very cool Helicopter, fun to fly, excellent price. . .a keeper.:salute:

peter12213
August 1st, 2011, 14:29
Ed at the end of the day its a bit of fun, nemeth standards of Vc and modeling, so it is spot on, however how anyone can say that its FDE is wrong or whatever is simply nutt's as there is no real samson, I say go for it, theres loads of military repaints, Chris Briss for example did loads, i think its an awesome bit of fun!

Edit sorry didn't read the last post, glad you like it mate!

falcon409
August 1st, 2011, 20:52
Ed at the end of the day its a bit of fun, nemeth standards of Vc and modeling, so it is spot on, however how anyone can say that its FDE is wrong or whatever is simply nutt's as there is no real samson, I say go for it, there's loads of military repaints, Chris Briss for example did loads, i think its an awesome bit of fun!

Edit sorry didn't read the last post, glad you like it mate!
I'll have to take a look at Chris's repaints. He does some nice work. I'll have to play with the realism settings and my technique to find a happy medium. . .but it's a whole lot of fun to look out the sides and watch the rotor housings move with the stick inputs. . .just very cool, lol.