PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 and FSX

hammer353
July 28th, 2011, 17:13
I am thinking about upgrading from vista to windows 7. But i not know how well fsx will run on windows 7. So my question is will fsx run and will there be any problems between windows 7 and fsx? Another questions is should i go will 32 or 64 bit?

flaviossa
July 28th, 2011, 17:32
Go for win 7 64bits without doubt. My fsx never worked so well!
Just a few points:

- Install FSX in a diffetent place than the default one, like another partition and with another name like "x:/fsx"
- FSX donīt take advantage of 64 bits systems BUT ALL the rest do. So, when youīre running fsx in a 32bits process remember that there are other process that are running in 64bits so much quickier that leaves cpu power for your 32bits fsx. :icon_lol:
- 64 bits are good for machines with plenty of memory. I would say that 4gb is ok, but go for 8gb and be happy! With less than 4gb stay with 32bits IF you donīt want to upgrade soon.
- There are some reviews in the net about win7 x fsx causing problems but i can say that i NEVER had any problems! Even with not supported win7 64bits addons like the 737 PIC witch works flawlessly here in my end. In other words, if you take care of your fsx install and donīt do any madness youīre good to go and iīm certain will be very happy.

Stan V.
July 28th, 2011, 17:34
I am thinking about upgrading from vista to windows 7. But i not know how well fsx will run on windows 7. So my question is will fsx run and will there be any problems between windows 7 and fsx? Another questions is should i go will 32 or 64 bit?

For what it is worth, I am running FSX with Windows 7 - 64 bit with absolutely no problems. One good thing is that the 64-bit operating system allows your computer to access more of the computer's internal memory than a 32-bit system and can only help if you have a problem with occasional out-of-memory situations. You will have to make sure to visit your driver web sites when you do the conversion, however, and make sure that you get 64-bit Win 7 drivers for all of your hardware components. This is not much of a problem normally.

lazarus
July 28th, 2011, 18:40
Ditto above. Win764. The only bug that came up was activating addon scenery, the cure for my rig was to run as admin, go into the scenery library like normal, select the scenery file to activate, the folder opens, pull down the file list in the add scenery window and select a path back to the addon scenery folder. For some reason it needs to have the path defined every time.

hammer353
July 29th, 2011, 05:26
Thanks, i think i will go will the 64 bit.

rcbarend
July 29th, 2011, 16:50
Thanks, i think i will go will the 64 bit.
By itself, I agree with the 64-bit choice.
Apart from the "scenery addon" problem, FSX runs with no problem on it.

However, be aware of the following "problem" : Windows7-64bit (Home version) won't run old 16-bit programs; in my case, it ment that I had to replace my old (but still good) Logitech FF steering wheel and joystick, since there is no driver available that runs on Windows7-64bit.

Rob

PHo17
July 30th, 2011, 04:57
If you buy at least Windows 7 Professional you can download from MS site the Virtual XP mode that runs older software.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Pekka

hairyspin
July 30th, 2011, 05:24
If you buy at least Windows 7 Professional you can download from MS site the Virtual XP mode that runs older software....

... if your hardware supports virtualisation. Mine doesn't, but I have XP on another drive. No problems with Win7 64-bit here either.