PDA

View Full Version : OT: Just passed my checkride

wconkle
July 27th, 2011, 21:41
Hey guys and gals, just thought I would share this with you. I passed my checkride for Private Pilot yesterday. I was flying a Citabria (with the door off, no less), and for my first landing I headed straight to Moontown Airport (3M5) so my first landing as a real pilot would be on grass, in a taildragger!
All was right with the world, at least for a few minutes there.
Thanks go out to Brant and Aaron with Acro Air in Alabama.

MenendezDiego
July 27th, 2011, 21:43
Congrats and welcome to the club!

grunau_baby
July 28th, 2011, 00:24
Congrats:ernae:

Alex

stansdds
July 28th, 2011, 01:42
:applause::applause::applause:

Bushpounder
July 28th, 2011, 02:33
CONGRATS!!!!! Welcome to the group! NOW you can learn to fly! :)

Don

bstolle
July 28th, 2011, 03:32
for my first landing I headed straight to Moontown Airport (3M5) so my first landing as a real pilot would be on grass, in a taildragger!

Conrats, what a great achievment :)
The only 'drawback' is that you are already flying a taildragger on a grass runway. That experience will be difficult to top in the near future ;)

Bone
July 28th, 2011, 04:00
Congrats!

rvn817j
July 28th, 2011, 05:02
Great airplane, great fun. Remember, you now have a license to learn. If you haven't joined AOPA yet...do it. Really good flight planning software (cloud based), good training material and other stuff for only $40 a year. Can't beat it! Enjoy.

wconkle
July 28th, 2011, 06:00
Hey thanks for all the feedback. Regarding the 'license to learn' concept; it was pretty surprising how little I had to know to pass the checkride! I am an AOPA and EAA member, and I supplemented training with lots of the Safety Institute and FAA Safety Team online courses, but even still; what I don't know how to do is vastly greater than what I do know! LOL, the examiner pointed out that, if I decided to hop in the plane and fly cross country to LAX the next day, it would be legal, but maybe not very smart!

And regarding bstolle, I agree that I'm starting out pretty high on the fun meter, but fortunately these guys also have a Super Decathlon (flew a couple hours in it too) and hopefully this fall and winter I'll get to do some more aerobatics. And at some point, I'll certainly get checked out in Acro Air's Stearman! Haha, so as long as my credit card doesn't melt down from overuse, I'll be able to keep the fun meter pegged.

I would also note that FSX was incredibly helpful throughout, and I expect it to be even more helpful when I start IFR training. I flew all of my cross country flights on here before the real world flight, so I could get a feel for flight times, wind correction angles, and visual ground reference points. In addition, the RealAir Citabria flight model is so accurate that I was able to practice slips to landing and sideslips for crosswind landings! And the Carenado Archer flies pretty close to exactly like the Warrior I also did lessons in, and I used it quite a bit to practice slow flight.

Now, while my credit card is warmed up, I better go get the Baytower RV! There's a whole new region of Rocky Mountains waiting to be explored!

Wes

beana51
July 28th, 2011, 06:08
Congratulations!......<label for="rb_iconid_19">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon26.gif</label>

ryanbatc
July 28th, 2011, 06:29
Very nice! How I miss flying!!! It's like torture working air traffic and seeing all those pretty planes taxi/fly by on a daily basis :icon_lol:

fliger747
July 28th, 2011, 11:04
Terrific! You never know where the adventure might take you. Mine has gone a lot further than I would have ever imagined.

Cheers: Tom

Sedr37
July 28th, 2011, 11:11
:jump: congrats!

Tylerb59
July 28th, 2011, 15:29
Congratulations!

Sundog
July 28th, 2011, 16:55
WTG! Keep us updated on your future achievements. Good news is always appreciated. :)

Felixthreeone
July 28th, 2011, 17:33
Congratulations! Welcome to the best club above earth!:salute:

mfitch
July 28th, 2011, 21:10
Congratulations! It sounds like your training was fairly diverse (different plane types). That sounds fun.

Dexdoggy
July 28th, 2011, 21:16
Very, very cool and congratulations! :applause:

CG_1976
July 28th, 2011, 22:14
Congrats:icon29:

roger-wilco-66
July 28th, 2011, 22:34
:ernae:
Congrats from me, too! You really started out in style, taildragger on a grass runway :-)

Cheers,
Mark

Anneke
July 29th, 2011, 07:19
Congratulations :medals:, love the pic you posted. I'm in my 7th RPL hour (Eurofox tricycle) going to my first circuits above EHTX. My home airport has some quirky crosswind and base legs due to noise restrictions so let's first try it on a more regular pattern :)

Ascua02
July 30th, 2011, 07:17
Congratulations!!
And welcome to the club!

:applause: :icon29:

TeaSea
July 30th, 2011, 08:10
Congrats!!

Now get to work on the Instrument part.....

(it never ends....)

JoeW
July 30th, 2011, 10:48
I am truely jelous. I'm 74 with heart problems and will never get to learn to fly. I fly J-3's and scouts in FSX. I really wish I had just taken the time to learn earlier.
Good Luck and take care.
:salute::salute:

Dimus
July 30th, 2011, 11:41
Congratulations!

Being a fresh PPL myself I know the feeling. I do envy you though for the planes you mention. Not much more than Cessnas in our club over here, but the flying is good nonetheless.

txnetcop
July 31st, 2011, 07:54
Amigo you are in for years and years of joy! Remember your pre-flight checks ALWAYS!
Ted

wconkle
July 31st, 2011, 14:34
Thanks again, everyone.
To Joe, I think that we are uniquely lucky to fly in FSX, even if not IRL, because of the incredible realism and great community. In addition, the cost savings is enormous! I have often wondered if I will ever really be able to fly as much as I want, and perhaps someday soon be just as content with virtual flight. After all, I can fly with a drink in my hand and pause for a bathroom break anytime I want with FSX!

Cheers!