PDA

View Full Version : Check out the X-Plane 10 preview of the new default 747

txnetcop
July 26th, 2011, 12:12
http://www.x-plane.com/news/

Not a tubeliner fan myself but if this is a preview of things to come...X-Plane 10 is looking pretty good. They will still have to pry FSX out of my cold, dead fingers though! :icon_lol:
Ted

mfitch
July 26th, 2011, 20:21
There have been a number of nice models released for X-Plane (still version 9) recently as well. The visual models (external & VC) are quite good. The level of systems modeling is strong as well. I look forward to XP10 and more nice models.

Lionheart
July 26th, 2011, 23:53
Incredible work! Thanks Ted for the heads up.

:applause:

txnetcop
July 28th, 2011, 03:38
I have to admit I am pretty excited about what I am seeing coming for X-Plane 10. They are addressing a lot of issues we have complained about with FSX in the beginning and now more developers are coming onboard for scenery and aircraft.

Lionheart
July 28th, 2011, 21:16
Ted, maybe I should write in.. I would love to get into figuring out how to export my birds from Gmax to XP.

What do you suggest? Should I write Austin?

txnetcop
July 31st, 2011, 02:48
Ted, maybe I should write in.. I would love to get into figuring out how to export my birds from Gmax to XP.

He may not answer you directly but Randy his assistant probably will. Who knows you might be allowed on the BETA with your background, Bill!

BushAV8R
August 1st, 2011, 10:18

Bill, in order to export an aircraft to XP you would either need to use AC3D or Blender. These are the tools of choice for exporting to XP and export scripts will be available.

I recently made the switch from 3ds Max to Blender, and I am really happy with the new interface and functionality, and the best of all, it is free. Actually, it is almost unbelievable that such a tool is available for free.

In order to get your aircraft from Gmax to Blender or AC3D (which is also not too expensive) you would need to export in a format one of these programs can read.

I am not familiar with Gmax, but can you export as a .3ds file or .obj file? If so, you should be able to import your mesh into Blender for example. However, I am not sure if you will have a clean import. You might have to clean up your mesh and work on smoothing groups again.

I few months ago, I was at a point where I had to make the decision to develop for FSX or XP. I even bought 3ds Max, but finally decided for XP and never looked back after it. After giving XP a fair chance, I fell in love with it and being able to use free tools is even better and I am sure XP10 will raise the bar even more.

Pete

txnetcop
August 7th, 2011, 05:12
I think if Orbx would develop for X-Plane I might be more inclined to use it. I hate their global scenery it is boring beyond belief...even the Alaska and European scenery packs I have seen are terrible. The aircraft have really blossomed into things of beauty.

Lionheart
August 8th, 2011, 21:31
Bill, in order to export an aircraft to XP you would either need to use AC3D or Blender. These are the tools of choice for exporting to XP and export scripts will be available.

I recently made the switch from 3ds Max to Blender, and I am really happy with the new interface and functionality, and the best of all, it is free. Actually, it is almost unbelievable that such a tool is available for free.

In order to get your aircraft from Gmax to Blender or AC3D (which is also not too expensive) you would need to export in a format one of these programs can read.

I am not familiar with Gmax, but can you export as a .3ds file or .obj file? If so, you should be able to import your mesh into Blender for example. However, I am not sure if you will have a clean import. You might have to clean up your mesh and work on smoothing groups again.

I few months ago, I was at a point where I had to make the decision to develop for FSX or XP. I even bought 3ds Max, but finally decided for XP and never looked back after it. After giving XP a fair chance, I fell in love with it and being able to use free tools is even better and I am sure XP10 will raise the bar even more.

Pete

Thanks Pete! Much appreciated.

There is a way to export out of Gmax. We have been working on it. It takes some doing, isn't easy, but it can be done. The objects sometimes turn into triangles, so things have to be exported in sections.

Thanks again!

Bill
LHC