PDA

View Full Version : Aerosoft Catalina on sale @ PC Aviator...

Felixthreeone
July 25th, 2011, 06:40
Just wondering, since it is being listed at $19.99USD, is the Catalina worth it? The price is really good, but how is the plane? Anyone own it care to post an opinion??

skyhawka4m
July 25th, 2011, 06:57
I've been thinking about getting this myself.......might have to look into it.

Lots of other life issues right now though.

YoYo
July 25th, 2011, 08:21
Dont think! Take it! :running:

papab
July 25th, 2011, 09:21
Absolutely get it!
Got it when it first came out

Very well built plane

Watch the idle--if you pull back to far the engines die....
And you can over work the engines-watch the RPM
Rick

Felixthreeone
July 25th, 2011, 09:25
Thanks for the info! I will get it!

Roger
July 25th, 2011, 10:34
Yep, as Rick says, if you don't have this aircraft then get it...you won't be disappointed!

spotlope
July 25th, 2011, 11:03
It's a gorgeous model, with one of my favorite VCs of all time. Get it!

jankees
July 25th, 2011, 11:35
It is outstanding, do not hesitate!

Thoe6969
July 25th, 2011, 12:48
I've been looking at it for a long time also,and could not pass on the price today.It is very well done and looks great.The enjine management takes a little time to get used to but adds to the realism.I,m glad I gave in.

roger-wilco-66
July 25th, 2011, 13:21
IMO one of the best - I've had it for quite some time and fly it regularly!

I'd say get it!

Cheers,
Mark

AndyE1976
July 25th, 2011, 13:31
Been thinking about this one for a while, so will have to grab this tonight.

Walter
July 25th, 2011, 13:43
I'm toying with the idea of buying this one too.... :jump:

dvj
July 25th, 2011, 15:06
One of the best sims and VC's out there and a challenge to fly too. And loads of really interesting repaints. I love the soundset. If only all payware were this quality.

Warrant
July 25th, 2011, 15:09
If you want a realistic flying vintage amphibian......buy it! Definately for that price!

Dain Arns
July 25th, 2011, 15:28
Engine management is challenging.
If you do have problems running the engines when first starting out, there is an 'easy' option available in the interactive checklist.
I find the carb icing can seem to be a little too sensitive at times, occasionally, for my personal taste.

robert41
July 25th, 2011, 16:26
Thanks for the HU. Been on my list to get.

Walter
July 25th, 2011, 17:05
How are the frame-rates on this baby? My computer is not good at frame-rates (I get excited when I'm over 6 FPS). :icon_lol:

Thank you,

Walter

papab
July 25th, 2011, 19:15
Buy it!
Don't wait!
Rick

expat
July 25th, 2011, 23:57
One of the most immersive aircraft - VC and sound really make you think you are there. Engine management is not difficult and actually adds to the fun. Just don't take the Cat if you are going anywhere in a hurry! Takes off, lands and cruises all at @ 100 knots (as IRL).

Kowalski65
July 26th, 2011, 03:20
Absolutely get it!
A great plane,and Jankees and pothers have done a TON of lovely repaints for it!

ColinT46
July 26th, 2011, 03:52
It's a great plane at the full price. At the sale price it's a steal.
Get it while you can.

wilycoyote4
July 26th, 2011, 10:16
One of the most immersive aircraft - VC and sound really make you think you are there. Engine management is not difficult and actually adds to the fun. Just don't take the Cat if you are going anywhere in a hurry! Takes off, lands and cruises all at @ 100 knots (as IRL).
Right. Lotsa paints. Classic bird. At that price a steal indeed. I get decent framerates.

Dmitri, lol, great movie, and only 49 years old. A Kubrick classic.

TARPSBird
July 26th, 2011, 10:27
Got it last night and it is indeed a beautiful plane, but it brought my frame rates down to almost a slide show. Nothing against the plane, I think I need to upgrade my computer (again), like maybe a separate sound card.

hae5904
July 26th, 2011, 12:04
Funny actually, those who had bought it, never mentions the fact that once in the water, the fuselage is filled with water itself....look at the massive blisters filled with water!! :sleep:
Like a sinking ship.....with wings.
Though I must say, besides the above minor deficiency, she's a real classic, and a fun but slowwwww plane to fly.

Hank

Walter
July 26th, 2011, 12:06
I thought that it had bilge pumps to help with that...

I want to get it now.... :icon_lol:

Ferry_vO
July 26th, 2011, 12:11
Funny actually, those who had bought it, never mentions the fact that once in the water, the fuselage is filled with water itself....look at the massive blisters filled with water!! :sleep:

I haven't found an amphibian or seaplane in Fs9 or FsX that doesn't do that; it's not Aerosoft's fault, but rather a bug in the Fs software ever since we've had 'water' (As opposed to a water coloured hard surface) in MSFS.

There are a few other niggles (Like all three wheels retracting simultaneously) but over all it is a fantastic aircraft!

roger-wilco-66
July 26th, 2011, 22:45
You might want to check the update page here:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/29194-pby-catalina-update/

In the first update you also get a lot of additional repaints.

Cheers,
Mark

Warrant
July 27th, 2011, 07:21
You might want to check the update page here:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/29194-pby-catalina-update/

In the first update you also get a lot of additional repaints.

Cheers,
Mark

Totally missed these updates. Thanks for the h/u.
Have not flown this bird for more then a year i think. Started flying it yesterday, since it came to my attention again in the forum here at SOH.

TeaSea
July 27th, 2011, 15:58
Okay Gentlemen, Dilemma.....need an opinion.

First off, thanks for bringing the sale to my attention.

Second, the "Dilemma"

Connie or Catalina??

Walter
July 27th, 2011, 18:03
Well, I don't know if it will help you, but I'm gonna go with the Catalina. I've finally made up my mind! :icon_lol:

3rd payware plane here I come!!! - Tomorrow. :jump:

Thanks for the heads up!

Walter

robert41
July 27th, 2011, 19:18
After a few days of flying this bird, I can say she is a very well done model. Textures are very detailed. Most impressed with the engine sounds, nice bass. The realistic flight model is good, not quite an A2A accusim, but good. Has a detailed checklist to go over. Had no trouble starting, taking off and landing on land or water. The Sperry autopilot is similar to MAAM's and much better than the default DC3. A pleasure to fly and worth the money.

Warrant
July 28th, 2011, 06:34
Okay Gentlemen, Dilemma.....need an opinion.

First off, thanks for bringing the sale to my attention.

Second, the "Dilemma"

Connie or Catalina??

What connie? If you mean the Just Flight Connie i do have reference, since i got all the packages.

In that case i should make the following statement:

The JF Connie's are just excellent, and a great experience to fly vintage. However, in the terms of flight realism, realistic and high quality graphics, and the best "feeling you are there" experience i'd have to say the Aerosoft Catalina goes just a bit further.

:mixedsmi:

Edit: Regarding the updates, i really like the torpedo-model except for one thing: When loading i get the strange error " uh oh seems to be the wrong plane", and when FSX is started i get a black textured DVC. Tried different things, but the problem remains. Anyone else have the same experience with this particular version/livery?

Sieggie
July 28th, 2011, 11:13
Warrant,

Check the Aerosoft forums

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/45673-fsx-catalina-oh-no-thats-not-the-right-aircraft-error/

Dave

Warrant
July 28th, 2011, 12:09
Warrant,

Check the Aerosoft forums

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/45673-fsx-catalina-oh-no-thats-not-the-right-aircraft-error/

Dave

Cheers, Dave

TeaSea
July 28th, 2011, 15:52
Okay, okay....ref my dilemma.....here's what happend.

I swim laps over lunch in the base pool. Afterwards I get to lay down on one of the chairs for a bit to get my breath ....

I'm laying there in the sun, just on the verge of nodding off, and one of the guys in the pool starts talking about how his Grand Dad had flown PBY-Catalina's for the Navy in WWII!

I figure it's a message from God, so I'm going with the Catalina.

Okay, maybe not from God, but it did tip the balance.

:ernae:

Walter
July 28th, 2011, 17:32
Got it this morning, but I'm having some problems.

1st: After I click on a switch, I can't unclick it, and some won't move even when they have the pointing finger curser.

2nd: The torpedo equipped model's VC is black, with no textures, and after I pick it on the menu, it says "Uh on, wrong plane selected" (or something along those lines).

What do I do?

Thank you,

Walter

TARPSBird
July 28th, 2011, 21:11
I'm laying there in the sun, just on the verge of nodding off, and one of the guys in the pool starts talking about how his Grand Dad had flown PBY-Catalina's for the Navy in WWII!
I figure it's a message from God, so I'm going with the Catalina.
Okay, maybe not from God, but it did tip the balance.
:ernae:

Message from God... I like that. Mel Gibson's beaver hand puppet told me to get it. :icon_lol:

Ferry_vO
July 29th, 2011, 03:43
1st: After I click on a switch, I can't unclick it, and some won't move even when they have the pointing finger curser.

Use the right mouse button to move the switch in the opposite direction.

2nd: The torpedo equipped model's VC is black, with no textures, and after I pick it on the menu, it says "Uh on, wrong plane selected" (or something along those lines).

Check the links in Sieggie's post above (#33)

:)

TeaSea
August 4th, 2011, 16:37
After cross checking with Mel's hand puppet, I did confirm the message and purchased the Catalina. This is a completely immersive model. I find it almost as immersive as the 337 model from A2A.

I've probably burned up millions of dollars in radials thus far....