PDA

View Full Version : P-47 "Sylvia"

jankees
December 10th, 2008, 08:04
I posted a few WiP shots elsewhere, but "Sylvia" is nearing completion, after adjusting the bare metal textures to fit the razorback.
Now I'm thinking of adapting this to 2048 textures too, (blasted new computer, everything looks blurry now..) but I can't find an overview of all the stencils on the fuselage and wings. Can anybody help me with those?

Epsillon
December 10th, 2008, 08:28
Nice one, Jan! :applause::applause::applause:

guzler
December 10th, 2008, 09:11
Great one, looking forward to this one mate :ernae:

Pips
December 10th, 2008, 12:09
What do you mean by "overview of all the stencils on the fuselage and wings"? Are you referring to line drawing format? If so I can scan pages of the P-47 from 'America's Hundred Thousand', which has incredibly detailed drawings if that would help. :)

I'm a nutter regarding the P-47 (ever since I read Bob Johnson's Thunderbolt, when I was knee high to a grasshopper); so I'm really, REALLY looking forward to this.

jankees
December 10th, 2008, 13:06
What do you mean by "overview of all the stencils on the fuselage and wings"? Are you referring to line drawing format? If so I can scan pages of the P-47 from 'America's Hundred Thousand', which has incredibly detailed drawings if that would help. :)

I'm looking for details on all the stencils saying things like "no step", "aromatic fuel only", "oil filter here" and god knows what else is written on P-47's. The texts are not readable on the paintkit I use now, but FSX and my computer make readable stencils possible...
I have some info, but not all, and I'm sure these things are around somewhere

Pips
December 10th, 2008, 15:26
Ok, now I understand. I'll have a look tonight when I get home.

Marlin
December 10th, 2008, 18:08
Good job man, well done once again.

Pips
December 10th, 2008, 22:10
No luck with America's Hundred thousand, detail isn't good enough.

However in "Thunderbolt" by Roger Freeman, among the many pictures of P-47's there are a couple of close-ups near the cockpit and wing root's. A stencil just forward of the canopy, positioned knee high above the wing root (there's a crewman standing there) is the following:

PROJECT 92708P
US. ARMY P47D-27RE
F. SERIAL NW. ??-26919 (the question marks unreadable
then
four lines of unreadable wirting (very small print).

And on the trailing edge of each wing, on the first panel each side, is the warning "NO STEP".
The P-47D is Cpt. Edwin Fisher's, 362nd FG.

And in "American Warplanes of WWII" by David Donald, there are some additional stencils to be seen, but the writing is far too small to make out - even using a magnifying glass. But they are located:
* just behind the cowl flapson each side, slightly below the non-glare panel.
* on the outside of each bomb pylon
* two long sentences just below the horizontal stablisers on the fuselage.

Sorry not much help. :kilroy:

nightshade
December 12th, 2008, 05:54
Beautiful! Can you make a version for us fs9 flyers?

jankees
December 12th, 2008, 07:58
Beautiful! Can you make a version for us fs9 flyers?

nothing simpler, just reduce the size of the textures to 1024x1024.
But you'll have to be patient, I first want to put in all the stencils (thanks sokotai!), and I still have heaps to upload and not enough time...
It will come though!

LCBORDEN
December 12th, 2008, 09:26
Can't wait Jan, you're textures are always a joy to add to the sim. Great work

ol' Jarhead :jump:

SolarEagle
December 12th, 2008, 17:29
That's by far the best P-47 repaint I've seen, but which model is it? The A2A P-47?

jankees
December 14th, 2008, 12:57
That's by far the best P-47 repaint I've seen, but which model is it? The A2A P-47?

Yes, the A2A P-47 (for FSX).

Here's a few more shots to keep you happy. I'm working on 2048 textures, I'm almost done with the fuselage, but still haven't figured out all the stencils...that will come I'm sure. Still, most are now readable, but not as crisp as I wanted.
I fear I may have overdone the lines a bit, what do you think?
I also copied the underbelly dark plating (steel?) from Bomber's kit, not sure if I like those...any ideas?

Marlin
December 14th, 2008, 14:13
Amazing work, bravo

SolarEagle
December 23rd, 2008, 21:15
Yes, the A2A P-47 (for FSX).

Here's a few more shots to keep you happy. I'm working on 2048 textures, I'm almost done with the fuselage, but still haven't figured out all the stencils...that will come I'm sure. Still, most are now readable, but not as crisp as I wanted.
I fear I may have overdone the lines a bit, what do you think?
I also copied the underbelly dark plating (steel?) from Bomber's kit, not sure if I like those...any ideas?

I just found my way back to this thread. The lines look a bit hard on the the shot next to the canopy, but they look really good in the other shots, so I bet they're just fine.

I don't know what the real one looks like, but I really like the lower dark plating in those pics. Gives the appearance more depth and complexity.

jankees
December 23rd, 2008, 22:01
Oops, forgotten about that one..I'll see if I can finish it soon

guzler
December 24th, 2008, 03:58
I'm tapping my fingers :ernae:

Lewis-A2A
December 24th, 2008, 06:34
Beautiful paint job

jankees
December 24th, 2008, 06:35
..and I went to work immediately, I think I'm more or less ready (unless you spot something in these shots). Still need to convert these 2048 textures to dds, make 1024 copies for FS9, write the readme, and package the lot....
Uploading will probably happen after the festivities...merry xmas to all!