PDA

View Full Version : JMIG needs some help

Francois
July 25th, 2011, 01:46
I am hoping the endless combined FS and PC wisdom on this site can help him. Jim downloaded our Tongass Fjords X from various sources (my own server, simMarket, Silvercloud store) and cannot unzip the file or run the installer when downloaded as an exec.

Since we sell it multiple times a day and nobody else has these problems, it must be something connected to Jim's PC's or installation thereon.

Since he tried it on two different machines, it seems to be a program that is on both that is causing it. Or his internet connection/filtering somehow.

Any ideas!?

hae5904
July 25th, 2011, 03:04
Ok Francois,

It sounds like opening a can of worms, but what are his specs?
If he can't unzip a large file, his harddrive might be formated as FAT32 instead of NFTS.
Does his rig have enough memory?
Did he run as admin?

A lot of variables.........

Cheers,
Hank

kilo delta
July 25th, 2011, 03:26
Does he have UAC turned off? It might be worth disabling his anti virus program(s) when downloading the package,to prevent getting a corrupted file, and when executing the installation of the program.

Francois
July 25th, 2011, 03:27
I know.... as with any elusive PC problem it won't be easy to find. I've looked at all possible causes from my side already, but since he's the only customer with problems, it must be on his side, or halfway in between.

I think he is running Windows7, so should be NTFS.

Francois
July 25th, 2011, 03:29
Jim told me he is running AVG on both PC's (a PC and a Notebook). I don't like AVG, but cannot let that cloud my judgement ;-) Could be worth while turning it off during download and/or unpacking I guess.

Mind you, I also provided him with an .exe file that didn't need unpacking and he had the same issue.

JAllen
July 25th, 2011, 12:10
Stupid thought, FSX installed under Program Files and Windows Defender and UAC are blocking it. I had similar problems with scenery before making a move away from that sort of installation. Don't remember a problem unzipping though.

gradyhappyg
July 25th, 2011, 12:57
I got the Fjords a couple of weeks ago and had one small issue with the download (local thunderstorms knocked out my connection) but other than that I downloaded later and installed with no problems.
Having a blast exploring.
I would try turning off the AVG then left click on the exe. /properties and make sure it has not been blocked by AVG then run as administrator and in the same compatability mode as FSX.

Francois
July 25th, 2011, 13:03
Jim's traveling until Friday, so he won't be able to reply himself much ....

hae5904
July 25th, 2011, 13:13
....maybe waiting till Jim is around. We can do a step by step approach!

Hank

jmig
July 25th, 2011, 17:25
I tried opening the two files on three different computers. Two are Win7, one 32bit and the other 64bit. The third computer is an old Dell computer I use in the field. It has XP and is only loaded with some engineering and engine performance programs. I don't even have an anti-virus program on it.

I am going to try and down load it through the hotel room. maybe it is something to do with my ISP or router firewall?