PDA

View Full Version : MDLMATxx

lazarus
July 24th, 2011, 09:22
So I've MDLMATxx installed, its reading materials in models. The thing I cannot suss out is how to edit an entry and save it... What I'm trying to do is change a prop blur texture material to the start up blur material in the same model. I've noticed that some FS9's, though the prop blur texture eats autogen, clouds and hard decks, the start blur does not, and the blur functions normaly. It may be a material function, or it may be the way things are modeled, but its worth a try.

huub vink
July 24th, 2011, 23:29
Lazarus, what you describing is a problem with the diffences how alphas in textures are used in FSX and FS9.

The more conventional way to solve this problem is by darkening the alphas from the prop texture.

Huub

Roger
July 25th, 2011, 04:27
I usually do as Huub suggested but I'm wondering if Fs9 material could be modified using MDLMATxx? However as far as I know this xx version is designed to open and edit FsX models and normally the non-xx version would be the editor to use for Fs9 models.

fxsttcb
July 25th, 2011, 05:52
I usually do as Huub suggested but I'm wondering if Fs9 material could be modified using MDLMATxx? However as far as I know this xx version is designed to open and edit FsX models and normally the non-xx version would be the editor to use for Fs9 models.All of the FS9 models that I have tried with MDLMatXX.exe gives a message under the entry window "No materials found. This may be an old format model".
It looks to me like the MDL8 materials simply are not compatible with MDLx format in MDLMatXX.

I haven't had a problem editing materials as long as the correct editor is used, but, as suggested, the alpha fix usually works...Don

roger-wilco-66
July 25th, 2011, 06:05
I don't know MDLMATxx, but I use ModelconvertX (beta version) for that sort of work, and it usually is able to fix alpha-related bugs. Because of the myriads of parameters it is mandatory though to read the SDK documentation.

HTH
Mark

lazarus
July 25th, 2011, 06:33
I should have said MDLMAT for FS9 stuff-they're basicly the same program as far as functionality goes. I downloaded OBIOs(?) tut, and I'll have another go. The display issue I was going to have a go at is -for instance- Itos Barracuda, the Alpha Firebrand, Scubbies Seafire 47- when the props up to speed, the hard deck behind the prop disc vanishes- you can see the water, and auto gen/scenery disapears as well. But the start blur is fine. It does not seem to be an alpha thing, or maybe it is, there is; however, no fix. So I got to thinking- could the start blur material be substituted for the running prop blur. If that method would work, then other FS9 models that are otherwise ok could be saved- EG the simshed Wessex. All blue sky , but it may be worth trying, as a FSX Barracuda is unlikely to happen, and I'd love to get the Wessex useable for another retro carrier project, though the grapevine sez Mr. Franklin was thinking about a fsx Wessex in the future.

lazarus
July 26th, 2011, 00:57
All righty; then...
I've sussed out MDLMAT, got it reading files, worked out the interface. Now. How in the name of Dog do I locate a specific material- the prop start blur and prop spin blur?
venez M'aider! Zut Alors!, lost I am !
Cheers

falcon409
July 26th, 2011, 06:41
All righty; then...
I've sussed out MDLMAT, got it reading files, worked out the interface. Now. How in the name of Dog do I locate a specific material- the prop start blur and prop spin blur?
venez M'aider! Zut Alors!, lost I am !
Cheers
Probably the same way you use MDLmat. . . .line by line until you figure out which one is correct.:salute:

Edit: Sorry, thought you were still speaking of the MDLmatxx version. I'll be quiet now. . .zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

roger-wilco-66
July 26th, 2011, 07:24
I usually do as Huub suggested but I'm wondering if Fs9 material could be modified using MDLMATxx? However as far as I know this xx version is designed to open and edit FsX models and normally the non-xx version would be the editor to use for Fs9 models.

That's right, the author of MDLMATxx suggests to use the older MDLMAT on FS9 aircraft. MDLMATxx probably won't read FS9 materials properly, and the older will not save to a FSX standard.

Not wanting to bring ModelconverterX up again, but it can handle both and convert them.

As for material properties, it is interesting to read the SDK documentation in the helpfile fsxsdk.chm in the SDK root folder. Here, in the section Frame buffer blending, shadows and texture adress clamp under FSX Materials there is a great and interactive explanation of the FSX alpha channel variables.

Cheers,
Mark