This is our SB2C-5 Helldiver, current production pics

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/Prowler1111/sbc2.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/Prowler1111/sbc8.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/Prowler1111/sbc3.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/Prowler1111/sbc7.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/Prowler1111/sbc5.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/Prowler1111/sbc6.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/Prowler1111/sbc4.jpg

The -4 version´s pics will be shown when available.Our site is still down, we hope to put it back together by Monday.
Best regards

Prowler

strykerpsg
July 23rd, 2011, 19:30
Again, fantastic work Prowler. I am certain you've made Helldiver a very happy person to see this in his lifetime. Looking forward to this and your Skyhawks.....

Matt

jeansy
July 23rd, 2011, 20:36
nice

still no chance on the shrike?

roger-wilco-66
July 24th, 2011, 03:56
Great pictures, I love the attention to details and the weathered look!
Can't wait until the Helldiver is released...

Cheers,
Mark

Barnes
July 24th, 2011, 05:39
Wow - looks real enough to touch Cant wait to purchase

modelr
July 24th, 2011, 05:56
Looks fantastic. Can't wait for this one.

One little nit-pic, tho. The propeller blades are on backwards, ie front to rear. Being a pilot, that just catches my eye immediately.

Barnes
July 24th, 2011, 06:06
Looks fantastic. Can't wait for this one.

One little nit-pic, tho. The propeller blades are on backwards, ie front to rear. Being a pilot, that just catches my eye immediately.

Surely the prop on this should turn clockwise seen from the Pilot's seat? As depicted by the model.

Mithrin
July 24th, 2011, 06:17
Oh! Yes! Bring! It! On!

Barnes
July 24th, 2011, 06:32
Oh! Yes! Bring! It! On!

I had to cheat - i looked at real photos to see which way the prop rotates :mixedsmi:

Keep looking at those screenshots - the detail is amazing.

Cirrus N210MS
July 24th, 2011, 07:00
wow nice very Nice

After seening a Real Helldiver at EAA and now seening one for fsx soon i am very happy! from what i hear it was a Neat Plane in real life my Grandpa got to fly in one on a Training Mission Which ended badly for them Plane crashed landed on a Lake bed they did get picked up and the plane recovered he told me He was Happy They built the plane so Heavy duty they didnt Brake much sept for the prop and engine lol he even has the compass from it some where

mal998
July 24th, 2011, 11:36
She's definately a keeper!

flaviossa
July 24th, 2011, 11:38
Amazing model! Nice to see this planes so well done to fs!! :salute:

Prowler1111
July 24th, 2011, 19:18
Last 2:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/Prowler1111/sbc9.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/Prowler1111/sbc12.jpg

Planning to have this bird in the sim, by the end of this week

Best regards

Prowler

mal998
July 24th, 2011, 19:54
A dash 4 ? ... Fantastic!!!

jeansy
July 24th, 2011, 20:27
really this week, damn why can it be another 2 wks to coincide with next payday

Prowler1111
July 24th, 2011, 20:38
Don't get the wrong impression, lol, we´ll have it in the sim by the end of this week, not out there for purchase, we have to put all the pertinent code in it (that is weapons, ordnance options etc) and then it´ll be out, i presume one more month, but it all depends on various factors involved in the process.
Best regards
Prowler

jeansy
July 24th, 2011, 21:01
thanks dont get me wrong im whining just for the sake of spending more money

in this case im happy to, its just in this case with all the new batch of naval aviation models and scenery in the past few weeks, defence needs to give me a payrise or i need to get re deployed to make some money

anyway, im looking forward to it

imn2sims
July 24th, 2011, 22:20
Surely the prop on this should turn clockwise seen from the Pilot's seat? As depicted by the model.

It does, but what modelr is referring to is not the pitch of the prop but the fact that the airfoil of the blades are 180 out. IOW the concave part should be facing rearward.

Steve

roger-wilco-66
August 17th, 2011, 07:11
Hey guys and gals,

http://www.razbamsims.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=185

can't wait until this is released....

Cheers,
Mark

gaucho_59
August 17th, 2011, 08:02
Hey guys and gals,

http://www.razbamsims.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=185

can't wait until this is released....

Cheers,
Mark

It is obviously not finished.... in the haste of placing it in the market... I hope they don't forget to add the actuating rods and hinges for the wing folding mechanism... along with the crew members... lol

CWOJackson
August 17th, 2011, 08:29
Fantastic looking model of an interesting aircraft. I'll be buying this one for sure.

peter12213
August 17th, 2011, 09:47
Awesome job that's stunning can't wait to fly it, the weathering is some of the best I've seen!

Scratch
August 17th, 2011, 15:30
Dang that sure looks nice. Count me in on this one! I hope it comes with a 'clean' paint for the real Helldiver here:icon_lol:

timghetta
August 17th, 2011, 15:31
looking good.

CWOJackson
August 17th, 2011, 15:36
First thing I'm going to do is work on adding "Blue Curmudgeon" in white lettering on the cowling in honor of an old Helldiver pilot!

Gibbage
August 17th, 2011, 16:05
Outstanding job on this one! As a fan of WWII aircraft modeling, really impressive job. Only two small critiques from me though. Double check the props. There is something very wrong with them. Im not sure how popular cuffed props are, but beside that, there is an inverse curv on the front side. This should be on the back side. Props typically have a shallow curv on them and that curv should be pointing too the pilot. Also, Navy birds were LOVINGLY cared for. The level of dirt on the texture may be find for a Marine Helldiver, that was stuck on an island, and found some 20 years after it was lost... =)

Here is a good photo of an SB2C's props and you can see the direction of the curv, and the overall shape of the cuffed paddle props.
http://www.patricksaviation.com/files/photos/full/8031_5779.jpg

Overall, GREAT work and really looking forward too it! Sorry about the critique. The props are a thing for me.

delta_lima
August 18th, 2011, 10:01
Pilot is still too small ....:running: :)

Brilliant level of modelling - outstanding, really. This plane is by no means my cup of tea, and while I'm not likely to be a customer, I wanted to offer a sincere comment to say how genuinely impressed I am. Bravo Ron et al.

If your Skyray indeed is coming at some point, than this SB2C's level of quality portends some seriously impressive enjoyment of the Ford ....

:medals:

dl

fliger747
August 18th, 2011, 10:26
It wouldn't hurt for you guys to let me fly this thing before you release it.....

Cheers: T

crashaz
August 18th, 2011, 14:57
I will 2nd the nomination for flieger to test fly it. :salute:

Cazzie
August 18th, 2011, 18:06
Has SOH's Helldiver seen this yet? You out there Robert, hope you caught a gander of this.

:applause::applause::applause::icon29:

TARPSBird
August 19th, 2011, 00:01
Also, Navy birds were LOVINGLY cared for. The level of dirt on the texture may be fine for a Marine Helldiver, that was stuck on an island, and found some 20 years after it was lost... =)
Actually it looks about right to me. Navy aircraft are lovingly maintained when operational commitments allow, such as when you're in port or on a peacetime Mediterranean cruise. When you're aboard USS Essex (per markings on the Razbam plane) and fighting your way towards Japan, the flight schedule will only allow for some spot-paint corrosion control and essential cleaning - canopy glass, cockpit interior, fluid leaks, etc. Ordnance guys and fuelers scuff up the wings, paint gets chipped around access panels. I know this is a pet peeve of our own Helldiver, as he remembers those well-polished birds from his time in the fleet.

Gibbage
August 19th, 2011, 10:30
Not saying your wrong, but as I heard it, there was a LOT of time between deployments and action, even in wartime. Being a boat, it takes a long time to get from point A to point B. Weeks to even months can go buy, and there is little else to do then take care of the aircraft. After general maintenence is done, the only thing left to do was polish the birds! Even in wartime, there could be weeks between the action. I dont suggest factory fresh, but there is a lot of dirt on that thing that could be wiped off during some of the down time ;)

Julhelm
August 19th, 2011, 11:40
Well I made the textures to depict it being in action, not between deployments.

Barnes
August 19th, 2011, 12:01

Great choice

roger-wilco-66
August 19th, 2011, 13:16

I think whatever people think how it should look like, you did an absolutly excellent job.
The easiest solution - since there are several liveries planned anyhow, I guess - is to offer a shiny version as well. That way everyone could pick the favorite version as it pleases him. Ahhh, and don't forget a paint kit :-)

I'm looking forward to that like nothing in recent times.

Cheers,
Mark

Gibbage
August 19th, 2011, 14:26
Ya. Its all a matter of choice. Thats why I include the dirt laters in my paint kits. Allows the customer to pick how dirty they want there birds ;)

Scratch
August 19th, 2011, 14:42

I think you nailed it perfectly:salute:

Piglet
August 19th, 2011, 19:45
It's all too easy for over-weather a model. See this in plastic model building all the time.
Some develop the "Verlinden Syndrome", and slather dirt and washes all over the place. Chipped paint really gets overdone, especially on armor models. Yeah, we all have seen the pics of dirty, abused planes, but they were not all like that. Even the most beat-up planes I work on in RL have very little paint chipping.
Next time you see heavy earthmoving equipment, take a close(if possible)look at the weathering, and see how much bare metal areas are really showing.
Actually, most weathering is caused by trying to REMOVE weathering. Dirt, exhaust stains, fluids, can get rubbed into the paint, or scuff paint, etc.
Then there is the whole other world of SCALE. Some bits of dirt, or a chipped area, on a model would scale up, like 3 feet across in real life. Remember Airfix Rivets??

TARPSBird
August 20th, 2011, 00:25
I agree with Scratch, you nailed it. :)

Mathias
August 20th, 2011, 00:52
It's all too easy for over-weather a model. See this in plastic model building all the time.
Some develop the "Verlinden Syndrome", and slather dirt and washes all over the place. Chipped paint really gets overdone, especially on armor models. Yeah, we all have seen the pics of dirty, abused planes, but they were not all like that. Even the most beat-up planes I work on in RL have very little paint chipping.
Next time you see heavy earthmoving equipment, take a close(if possible)look at the weathering, and see how much bare metal areas are really showing.
Actually, most weathering is caused by trying to REMOVE weathering. Dirt, exhaust stains, fluids, can get rubbed into the paint, or scuff paint, etc.
Then there is the whole other world of SCALE. Some bits of dirt, or a chipped area, on a model would scale up, like 3 feet across in real life. Remember Airfix Rivets??

+1
Weathering in video games really became an end in itself. The funny thing, some confuse that with realism. If it doesn't look as if it had been situated in a Russian lake for the past 6 decades it's not realistic. :icon_lol:

Julhelm
August 20th, 2011, 02:52
That's because on a screen, as with plastic models, everything is seen at a reduced scale, and therefore certain details will have to be exaggerated. Everybody knows rivets aren't the size of coffee cups IRL but the fact of the matter is people expect rivets to be on a plane and so the coffee cup rivets look better than no rivets at all. Same thing with weathering and dirt. Sure it is exaggerated to some extent in games but at the reduced scale it looks more convincing than leaving it out simply because we expect surfaces to show certain details that may really be minute and we tend to react if they're amiss.

Helldiver
August 20th, 2011, 04:36
I guess it depends on the Commanding Officer, the Leading Chiefs and the Plane Captains. I can only relate to one Carrier. There the upkeep of planes was important, especailly the effects of corrosion.. Plus there was a "Bilge Rat" who used to crawl in the belly of the planes to pick up cigarette butts, chewing gum wrappers, various nuts and bolts. etc. I suppose there are ships (like some of our Allies) where keeping planes ship shape was not important.
A planes life typically would last anywhere from 3 to 6 months. Depending how much it got "stretched" during landing. Then it would be returned to A&R. So as far as my experience was concerned the planes were kept in very good condition. A lot of stuff that looks like weathering is because of the use of ubitiquos stencils. They had them every where. Even on the pressure relief vent for pilots with a weak bladder.

MudMarine
August 20th, 2011, 07:34
Not saying your wrong, but as I heard it, there was a LOT of time between deployments and action, even in wartime. Being a boat, it takes a long time to get from point A to point B. Weeks to even months can go buy, and there is little else to do then take care of the aircraft. After general maintenence is done, the only thing left to do was polish the birds! Even in wartime, there could be weeks between the action. I dont suggest factory fresh, but there is a lot of dirt on that thing that could be wiped off during some of the down time ;)

My experience: There are no "down" times on a deployment. There is ALWAYS something to do, PM'ing aircraft to painting the ship etc. All aircraft are giving loving care. I was deployed on the LHA "Canal" and the LPH Iwo Jima (wwii carrier) and every helo was treated like a girlfriend, wife etc. Who wants to ride a broken down aircraft into or out of a firefight? Life at sea is 24/7, with little sleep and lots of coffee!

Gibbage
August 20th, 2011, 10:59
Sorry. "down time" was the wrong word to use. More like time between action when the aircraft were not A: being shot at and B: not flying. In the heat of battle, painting and cleaning is the last thing on your mind. Between sorties and action, it gets more attention.

P.S. to all vets, thank you for your service! :USA-flag:

Sadly, it looks like I started a weathering debate. Im sorry! I truly dont think there is a correct way or ammount of weather. Ultimatly its 100% up to the artist, and 100% up to each customer to like it or not.

MudMarine
August 20th, 2011, 11:15
I don't see it as a matter of debate but just a matter of personal taste. I like the worn and brand new look!

TARPSBird
August 20th, 2011, 11:20
Sadly, it looks like I started a weathering debate. Im sorry! I truly dont think there is a correct way or ammount of weather. Ultimatly its 100% up to the artist, and 100% up to each customer to like it or not.
It's all good Gib, we're just talkin' here. :) And you're right about the artist's choice of weathering. I've seen it a lot in my model railroad hobby. What looks realistic to one modeler might look totally over the top to somebody else.

Mathias
August 20th, 2011, 11:22
. More like time between action when the aircraft were not A: being shot at and B: not flying. In the heat of battle, painting and cleaning is the last thing on your mind. .

Sorry no, just wrong.
There where many ensignes dedicated to just serving the crates. That's true for all sides.
Add to it the fact that most crates didn't get old enough to develope any wear or tear you get the picture.

SkippyBing
August 20th, 2011, 11:42
FAA Hellcat, I'm guessing 1944 BIEF going by the markings. Slightly worn.
WAFUs sunbathing proving some things never change.
With a hat tip to Steven Eisenman who posted the photo at britmodeller.com (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75851&hl=corsair)

Lateral-G
August 20th, 2011, 17:35

The 'Spanish Style' comes to mind.............that's the technique du jour for plastics these days.

Prowler1111
August 20th, 2011, 17:47
A lot of stuff that looks like weathering is because of the use of ubitiquos stencils. They had them every where. Even on the pressure relief vent for pilots with a weak bladder.

And that´s exactly what you´re looking at , in those pics, other than the leading edges "chips" the rest are stencils.
I really like the "worn out" effect on the paint..it does add a lot to the atmosphere.
Since there will be a paint kit (layered) it will be open to the customer to edit the finish to his/her own taste.
best regards
Prowler

Helldiver
August 20th, 2011, 18:22
Skippybing, it was the British ships I had in mind when I mentioned "our allies". We tied up next to a Brtish Carrier in Panama City and the skipper looked at the lack of housekeeping there was on the other Carrier and ordered the crew to put on double rat guards. They had TBFs and F6Fs and they were in pretty rough shape as well as the general housekeeping on the ship.

Piglet
August 20th, 2011, 19:02
One thing about weathering I forgot..
Weathering is FUN!!!:applause:

Gibbage
August 20th, 2011, 20:09
One thing about weathering I forgot..
Weathering is FUN!!!:applause:

Then ill rope you in for a little "fun" next time im painting one of my birds! I hate weathering... Sadly my next bird will need a lot of it... ;)

YoYo
August 20th, 2011, 23:41
Very simply TRUE about the Weathering.

1/Modern model, in time of peace - no, or very small Weathering.

2/Model of aircraft from any War or military period - no Weathering isnt true, anyone who thinks like this is wrong. Weathering is nessesery.

Rich
August 21st, 2011, 00:19
Helldiver please explain what your rantings has to do with the thread ???

You do'nt deserve allies with that attitude.

What Ship were you tied up next to ????

Skippybing, it was the British ships I had in mind when I mentioned "our allies". We tied up next to a Brtish Carrier in Panama City and the skipper looked at the lack of housekeeping there was on the other Carrier and ordered the crew to put on double rat guards. They had TBFs and F6Fs and they were in pretty rough shape as well as the general housekeeping on the ship.

SkippyBing
August 21st, 2011, 00:21

Helldiver, I figured as much*, to be honest without knowing what the RN ship had been doing prior to you seeing her it's not really safe to extrapolate from one example, i.e. if she'd just come from a couple of months in the North Atlantic she wouldn't look pretty. If she'd been alongside for a few weeks then there was something up with that ship.
As an example I've got pictures of VICTORIOUS from through out the war and in some she's in excellent condition while in others she's obviously been at sea for an extended period and needs a lot of ship's husbandry, depending on when you saw her you'd have widely differing views.
As regards the aircraft I think one reason the RN's looked worn throughout the war was due to the use of a matt finish paint. The UK specification was for this as it was felt gloss finishes were more likely to give away the aircraft's position through the sun glinting off them etc. A side effect of this is that it's almost impossible to keep a matt finish looking clean as anyone who's seen an RN Lynx would know, even after a foam wash some of the exhaust and oil stains are still there.
Another factor with the aircraft is that even with the lend lease ones a lot of parts had to be sourced from the UK as they were specific to those versions e.g. seat harnesses, radios etc.

*Only four nations had carriers during WW2 and you were unlikely to have seen the French one!

Barnes
August 21st, 2011, 01:20
I'd love to meet Helldiver.

We have a friend his age who served in the Navy during ww2 and has the same attitude. He would be just like Helldiver if he was into joining forums like this one but actually would mean no harm by his comments but could be misunderstood in his attitude.

Of course - as I wont meet him, I can only hope he is genuine.

Roger
August 21st, 2011, 02:17
Let's keep it clean fellas...or should I say matt:mixedsmi:

wombat666
August 21st, 2011, 02:33

That happens with a real 'Warship', especially one that has seen combat.
:173go1:

Henry
August 21st, 2011, 07:24
Wow - looks real enough to touch Cant wait to purchaseyup iagree with that
excellent:ernae::ernae:
H:applause::applause:

Helldiver
August 21st, 2011, 10:16
Barnes, I sure would like to meet your friend from the Navy. Whenever I go to the VA I’m surprised at how few us WWII types there are. Most of them now are young guys from Viet Nam.
I’m genuine all right but my attitude is a defensive one. There are too many smart guys out there that read a book written by someone who wasn’t even born during the war, telling them how it was.
I can only tell what I know from my own experience, nothing more. But if there are guys that want to believe in these foolish fairy tales, so be it.
They won’t have me around much longer anywise. But the SB2C Helldiver was a good airplane, as good as any military aircraft could be. It always got me home safe and sound and I’ll fight anybody that says any different.

Dimus
August 21st, 2011, 10:39
Outstanding job on this one! As a fan of WWII aircraft modeling, really impressive job. Only two small critiques from me though. Double check the props. There is something very wrong with them. Im not sure how popular cuffed props are, but beside that, there is an inverse curv on the front side. This should be on the back side. Props typically have a shallow curv on them and that curv should be pointing too the pilot. Also, Navy birds were LOVINGLY cared for. The level of dirt on the texture may be find for a Marine Helldiver, that was stuck on an island, and found some 20 years after it was lost... =)

Here is a good photo of an SB2C's props and you can see the direction of the curv, and the overall shape of the cuffed paddle props.
http://www.patricksaviation.com/files/photos/full/8031_5779.jpg

Overall, GREAT work and really looking forward too it! Sorry about the critique. The props are a thing for me.

Thanks for posting this. This one is the Helldiver we have at the Hellenic Air Force Museum in Tatoi, my club's base. Any chance of a Greek paint in the end product?

jp
August 21st, 2011, 17:40
Okay, I'm a little late to the party here, but I would say the types and amounts of weathering probably varied based on many factors, including the ship aboard which the aircraft were deployed. I would also suspect that aircraft during 1943 would have more wear and tear than would an aircraft operating at the end of the war. With lower threat of retaliation, and more of a focus on striking at enemy facilities offensively rather than in a searching for and destroying enemy vessels, there would be more time for noncritical maintenence. Heres a video of our hellcats. http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675071281_flight-deck-operations_F6F-Hellcat_F6F-taxi_World-War-II

Bomber_12th
August 21st, 2011, 19:26
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/40479a32fc32ef5c_large.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/sb2c-5_curtiss_helldiver_c1945.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/sb2c-3_curtiss_helldiver_vb80_cv-19_hancock_feb45.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/sb2c-4_551.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/BatSB2CHellDiver.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/SB2C_Helldiver.jpg

Bomber_12th
August 21st, 2011, 19:27
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/SB2C-4E_VB-74_CVB-41_NAN2-46.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/1f8d4b33a33fc11085253da8208449e2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/410453_Sb2c-Airplane.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/SB2C_VB-82_USS_Bennington_1945.jpg

roger-wilco-66
August 21st, 2011, 21:47
Awesome images, John! Thanks for sharing them!

Cheers,
Mark

TARPSBird
August 22nd, 2011, 01:47
Great pics John, thanks for posting. Nice selection of paint and weathering options. Aircraft 520 looks fresh from the factory, probably still has those paper floor mats in the cockpit. :icon_lol:

Helldiver
August 22nd, 2011, 05:11
Bomber, what a nice set of pictures, ones that I hadn’t seen before. On planes 520, 1, and 68, the tail hook is properly stowed, which is usually the case unless your practicing landings. I wonder if the FSX one will give this option.
There were three positions for the hook, stowed, extended and lowered. If you left it in the extended position, it would go into a sort of loud humming at certain speeds. I notice that the CAF Helldiver never retracts its hook. Sort of an indication of the sad state of disrepair it has.
One of the pictures shows the Carrier’s photographer in the gunner’s seat. On board our ship he was a not too bright, Lt. JG that indulged in porn. He used to take pictures with a $300 buck camera and was an officer. Yet a guy that ran the guns, radio, and radar and most importantly, kept the pilot awake, could be an AMM 3/C. - Go figger.

Cag40Navy
August 22nd, 2011, 05:48
I notice that the CAF Helldiver never retracts its hook. Sort of an indication of the sad state of disrepair it has.

Well, the CAF Helldiver is in good shape but i cant remember why they dont stow the tail hook anymore... Ive seen a few of their naval aircraft not stow there hooks. I think the issue comes up that they are very old aircraft so parts from originals dont exist anymore.

SkippyBing
August 22nd, 2011, 06:53
Okay, I'm a little late to the party here, but I would say the types and amounts of weathering probably varied based on many factors, including the ship aboard which the aircraft were deployed. I would also suspect that aircraft during 1943 would have more wear and tear than would an aircraft operating at the end of the war. With lower threat of retaliation, and more of a focus on striking at enemy facilities offensively rather than in a searching for and destroying enemy vessels, there would be more time for noncritical maintenence. Heres a video of our hellcats. http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675071281_flight-deck-operations_F6F-Hellcat_F6F-taxi_World-War-II

Nice video clip, now those Hellcats certainly are worn, guess it wasn't just the RN who didn't have time to clean stuff...

Helldiver
August 22nd, 2011, 13:38
Regarding the CAF Helldiver, the extended strut on the tailwheel oleo shows that it needs servicing. The lack of covers for the tail wheel and the main landing gear covers are lacking. A friend, who also happens to be a master on an English Wheel, could rebuild them in about a week. The lack of SCR-522 radios, the Linear Amplifier and even the life raft shows a lack of attention to detail. God only knows what goes on that can’t be seen. Plus, unless they’ve wired it in the extended position, a good strong man can stow the hook manually. It’s an SB2C5-A and as such never wore the colors that they’ve painted it. From what I can see, it’s just a poor representation of a Helldiver.

CWOJackson
August 22nd, 2011, 13:58
Regarding the CAF Helldiver, the extended strut on the tailwheel oleo shows that it needs servicing. The lack of covers for the tail wheel and the main landing gear covers are lacking. A friend, who also happens to be a master on an English Wheel, could rebuild them in about a week. The lack of SCR-522 radios, the Linear Amplifier and even the life raft shows a lack of attention to detail. God only knows what goes on that can’t be seen. Plus, unless they’ve wired it in the extended position, a good strong man can stow the hook manually. It’s an SB2C5-A and as such never wore the colors that they’ve painted it. From what I can see, it’s just a poor representation of a Helldiver.

I bet you didn't mind flying into the flak "back in the day" either. :icon29:

SkippyBing
August 22nd, 2011, 14:05
The lack of SCR-522 radios, the Linear Amplifier and even the life raft shows a lack of attention to detail.

Why carry the weight? It's a flying aircraft not a museum piece.
As to the rest of it I'm sure the FAA would have something to say if it was unsafe, and may well be the limiting factor when it comes to replacing/servicing the various components.

fallenphoenix1986
August 22nd, 2011, 14:22
Painted in the wrong colours... ahh well may as well just sell it to Gillette and be done with it then....

Craig

roger-wilco-66
August 23rd, 2011, 00:43
Also found a few nice contemporary images, where "wear and tear" is nicely depicted! Mostly SBDs though. Check out those prominent rivets on the SBD close up!

Cheers,
Mark

PS: how do you guys insert pictures inline into a posting? When I do this per drag and drop first the images show up fine but when submitting (or preview) I get errors and the images retard to a alphanumeric gibberish (text).

SADT
August 23rd, 2011, 01:41
On board our ship he was a not too bright, Lt. JG that indulged in porn. He used to take pictures with a $300 buck camera and was an officer. Yet a guy that ran the guns, radio, and radar and most importantly, kept the pilot awake, could be an AMM 3/C. - Go figger.

Hello Helldiver,

I was wondering if you could enlighten me as to what the term "AAM 3/C" means? It is also sad to hear that an officer in the U.S. Navy indulged in pornography.. Such is the way things were..

Cheers,
Craig. :-)

TARPSBird
August 23rd, 2011, 02:12
AMM 3/C = Aviation Machinist's Mate Third Class. His basic job field was aircraft engine mechanic but as an aircrewman he'd be responsible for the other tasks that Helldiver mentioned. Our Navy has never had an enlisted rating especially for aircrewman, it's always been an additional duty to your normal job in airframes, powerplants or avionics.

TARPSBird
August 23rd, 2011, 02:32
We're getting a bit off-topic from the SB2C but indulge me...
Helldiver mentioned the LTJG's porn activities. When I was aboard USS Coral Sea in 1970 the ship's Aerial Photo Lab had machines for duplicating both 16mm and 8mm movie film. Normally the 16mm machine would be used for gun and strike camera film but the 8mm machine wasn't normally used for anything. However, the PH1 (Photographer's Mate First Class) who ran the lab put it to good use duping "stag movies" (porn) which he borrowed from other guys on the ship. He would then sell the copies. :icon_lol: Technically illegal but he bought his own 8mm dupe film and since the processing machines were available it was no big deal.

Helldiver
August 23rd, 2011, 04:52
The JG was in charge of the Photo Lab. He had a couple of seaman that helped him to develop gun camera film. Of course there was no color in those days, all black and white.
His porn was strictly still photos. There was a big market for them the longer we were at sea. No women were allowed aboard, thank goodness. I don't think young men stuck at sea for long periods of time with available women is a very bad mix.
We were not even allowed to speak to WAVES when I was in. They kept us both isolated. They were strictly Officers property.

Helldiver
August 23rd, 2011, 06:34
Thanks Tarps for straighten that out. I made a mistake when I wrote AAM 3/C
But your explanation of what a AMM does was concise and right on the mark. I was a mechanic in Flight Test in Jacksonville when I went to sea. Then I became an aircrewman, having trained at NAS Menphis before going to Jax. So an AMM gets to do a lot of fun things, just playing with airplanes. Best rate there is.

Prowler1111
August 23rd, 2011, 08:58
Dunno why, but this image comes to mind! :icon_lol::icon_lol:

LOLOLOL...

Prowler

robcap
August 23rd, 2011, 12:56
Dunno why, but this image comes to mind! :icon_lol::icon_lol:ProwlerWOOOT:icon_lol:

fliger747
August 29th, 2011, 17:54
Any more pix?

T

c87
January 28th, 2012, 08:56
I see this thread is a bit moldy but give that the Buckeye is about to come out, what's the status of this gem of an airplane? I haven't heard anything for a while.

Helldiver
January 29th, 2012, 05:03
I haven't heard a thing about the status of the Helldiver. But it won't make much of a diffrence to me anyways. My version of FSX has s**t the bed and Microsoft won't allow any refills. Anyone got a copy thry'll sell cheap?

Pips
April 4th, 2012, 14:31
It has been yonks since any news has been released regarding the Helldiver. Really hope the project is still underway. So, just to keep the thread alive, here's a classic photo.

Prowler1111
April 4th, 2012, 14:56
VC is being developed, nothing yet to show but early shapes at our FB group

Prowler

Helldiver
April 13th, 2013, 05:35
Nobody asked me but the Beast never had a 50 cal. machine gun. Too awkward and didn't fire enough. Twin.30s were preferred. They got a lot more ammo out there and faster to move . Plus you show the tail hook half way extended. It's either stowed or deployed.. Only the CAF one has it locked half way out. Their airplane is a screwed up mess. The pilots straps are too white. They were a kind of grayish material but got pretty stained with abuse. When are you going to release it? I'll be 85 in a couple of months. Now I got only one eye to see with. I sure wish I was in the trial period. But then again I know too much about the plane. Like it was full of "no step-no push" signs. The insides of the dive flaps were painted red. The interior should be a yellowish green zinc chromate. It looks like you've used the exterior zinc chromate. (Like the CAF plane) the landing gear and wells had a darker zinc chromate than the interior.

FlameOut
April 13th, 2013, 15:44
Good to see you around.:applause:
Yes, are there any updates on this project?

I'm just a "young-un" .... 55+....

TARPSBird
April 13th, 2013, 18:08
Helldiver, good to hear from ya shipmate. :salute: