PDA

View Full Version : Piglet's F-5A

Stefano Zibell
July 22nd, 2011, 17:53
Great freeware, looks awesome, but I'm getting this wierd red things on the engines, only when they're running:

Any ideas on how to fix it, if it's possible? It would be even better with afterburner effects and without the roll lock-up while supersonic. I see great potential in this!

strikehawk
July 24th, 2011, 08:39
That appears to be an effect to simulate the "hot section" of the engine. Having worked on jets in a younger life I recall sometimes catching a glimpse at dawn or dusk into a J-79 and seeing that reddish glow when a Phantom was at idle. Note, I don't recommend looking into an operating jet engine, bad things can happen.

If I recall, the same effect is seen in the exhaust of Piglet's OV-1 also.

Tako_Kichi
July 24th, 2011, 09:10
A number of Piglet's jets have that 'look' on the engines. It's on one of the texture sheets and can be changed if you have the skills as I changed it on a few of my textures for various aircraft.

PilatusTurbo
July 24th, 2011, 09:12
I have searched for Piglet's stuff, but can only find a few of them here. The search engine here has changed, and I can't for the life of me figure it out... :d :ernae:

Tako_Kichi
July 24th, 2011, 09:27
I have searched for Piglet's stuff, but can only find a few of them here. The search engine here has changed, and I can't for the life of me figure it out... :d :ernae:
First off you have to understand that there are in fact three libraries at SOH, one current and two archives left from before we had the server crash.

The current library can be searched quite easily by flight sim type (FSX, FS2004, CFS etc) and then by other sub-groups. Once you find one by the author you are looking for you can then pull up all submissions by that author by clicking on the magnifying glass next to the 'Submitted by' name in the top right corner of each entry.

Here is the list for Piglet in the current library:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links_search.php?action=show&userid=277&sort=d

The two archives can be accessed from the 'Warbirds/Warbirds Archive' menu item at the top of the forum. Once the archive page opens you can search each archive by author name.

Here is the list for Piglet in Archive 1:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileUploadName=Piglet

Here is the list for Piglet in Archive 2:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=archive&loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileUploadName=Piglet

PilatusTurbo
July 24th, 2011, 09:36
Thank you, sir. Since I'm new to FSX, I'm seeing so many new possibilities and things I simply didn't even know were around.

I downloaded 3 or 4 of Piglet's newest creations (to me). I plan to throw a few bucks toward SOH for that bandwidth. ;) :ernae:

Stefano Zibell
July 24th, 2011, 09:46
Ok, I'll try and retexture that for something more believable. Any ideas on the flight dynamics? I'm leaned towards using Iris freeware F-5a fde. What should I conserve from aircraft.cfg? Lights, effects and flightsim.x entries?

napamule
July 24th, 2011, 10:05
(A). F-5A, 2007: By Piglet: For FS9 (and possibly FSX):
- (ie: with effects ('probably') by Rob Barendgret) ?:
3) Copy the f5a.cab, BURNERS.cab, and hunterfx.cab gauge files over to
your FS2004 Gauges folder. Copy any effects fx files to the sim's effects
folder.
--------------------------------------------------------------
(B). F-5A, 'Project', 2010: 'Update': by 'Fire Ball':
-(ie: Textures and FSX updates created by Mark "Fire Ball" Rooks.):
4. Unzip the gauges folder and put the gauges in the FSX gauges folder
located at "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\FSX\Gauges "
5. Unzip the Effects folder and put the Effects in the FSX Effects folder
located at "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\FSX\Effects "
Interesting topic. What we have here is a model meant for FS2004 now being used in FSX. Sometimes that can produce unwanted results. It is nobody's fault. Just how things work. Effects is one area. (Props in the other one, as we all know). But if effects is 'XML' then there should be no problem/difference. Right? I am not sure. Read on... .

Can you use the earlier version 'effects' files (ie: earlier panel) to 'fix'? Or is it a case of 'FS2004' effects not able to work in 'FSX'? And if you just overwrite then did THAT cause problem, due to differences in panels (cfg)? We can find out. I do not have that model installed (yet).

Looking at panel.cfg's (side to side) you can see thet Mark deleted the 'hunterfx' and 'burners' lines from his 'updated' panel cfg. Why I don't know (and he did not point out, or say anything about THAT in readme..). So there you go-the panels are different, so the effects will be different IF YOU INSTALLED THE 'UPDATE FOR FSX' by Mark. Not saying they will work in FSX (which is probably the case) as they MIGHT only work 'right' in FS2004 (?) (and is WHY Mark removed the 'effects' (ie: the vapor/flame effects). I do believe that will turn out to be the case. Correct me if I'm wrong (hehe).
Chuck B
Napamule

Tako_Kichi
July 24th, 2011, 10:26
Looking at panel.cfg's (side to side) you can see thet Mark deleted the 'hunterfx' and 'burners' lines from his 'updated' panel cfg. Why I don't know (and he did not point out, or say anything about THAT in readme..).
Mark Rooks is a known 'tweaker' of the worst sort. He's renowned for making totally unrealistic flight models and for using files without the original author's permission. My guess is that he used DG's Hunter effects without permission and then got caught out and had to remove them from the package.

Stefano Zibell
July 24th, 2011, 10:37
I'm using Piglet's original, plus his own updated models, that are FSX native.

Better heh? I would just copy the textures that show when the engines are off, but the model is set to keep them spinning. Problem is we have to edit all liveries.

Tako_Kichi
July 24th, 2011, 10:45
Thank you, sir. Since I'm new to FSX, I'm seeing so many new possibilities and things I simply didn't even know were around.

I downloaded 3 or 4 of Piglet's newest creations (to me). I plan to throw a few bucks toward SOH for that bandwidth. ;) :ernae:
If you want a few repaints for Piglet's stuff I did a lot of repaints that are only available from the SOH libraries. Just search using my screen name to find them.

My repaints for Piglet's Porter, Paris jet and Super Tucano were particularly well received. One Paris jet repaint became my most popular download with 368 hits.

lazarus
July 24th, 2011, 11:23
Mark Rooks is a known 'tweaker' of the worst sort. He's renowned for making totally unrealistic flight models and for using files without the original author's permission. My guess is that he used DG's Hunter effects without permission and then got caught out and had to remove them from the package.

Uh-huh. Never been able to figure out what that guys game is. He seems to hotlink his Cr*p every where- the sketchiest paints and terrible 'FSX'updates showing thousends of downloads. Likes seeing his name pop up in the browser; I suppose.
I did not know that there was a native Piglet F-5. I'll have to slide that one in. Loved the CF-5- operationaly questionable, but a fun jet to drive, and reasonably friendly from a maintainers standpoint. We joked back in the day that it was a great 'Liberal' warplane... looked great at airshows, made appropriate military noises, but was so short on range/warload that it was unlikely to hurt anyone!

Stefano Zibell
July 24th, 2011, 14:07
Merged the flight dynamics ok, but it seems a little slow. I'll sort the afterburners and then I'll try some mods. Iris soundset is nice too.

Daube
July 24th, 2011, 14:29
(A). F-5A, 2007: By Piglet: For FS9 (and possibly FSX):
- (ie: with effects ('probably') by Rob Barendgret) ?:
3) Copy the f5a.cab, BURNERS.cab, and hunterfx.cab gauge files over to
your FS2004 Gauges folder. Copy any effects fx files to the sim's effects
folder.
(B). F-5A, 'Project', 2010: 'Update': by 'Fire Ball':
-(ie: Textures and FSX updates created by Mark "Fire Ball" Rooks.):
4. Unzip the gauges folder and put the gauges in the FSX gauges folder
located at "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\FSX\Gauges "
5. Unzip the Effects folder and put the Effects in the FSX Effects folder
located at "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\FSX\Effects "
Interesting topic. What we have here is a model meant for FS2004 now being used in FSX. Sometimes that can produce unwanted results. It is nobody's fault. Just how things work. Effects is one area. (Props in the other one, as we all know). But if effects is 'XML' then there should be no problem/difference. Right? I am not sure. Read on... .

Can you use the earlier version 'effects' files (ie: earlier panel) to 'fix'? Or is it a case of 'FS2004' effects not able to work in 'FSX'? And if you just overwrite then did THAT cause problem, due to differences in panels (cfg)? We can find out. I do not have that model installed (yet).

Looking at panel.cfg's (side to side) you can see thet Mark deleted the 'hunterfx' and 'burners' lines from his 'updated' panel cfg. Why I don't know (and he did not point out, or say anything about THAT in readme..). So there you go-the panels are different, so the effects will be different IF YOU INSTALLED THE 'UPDATE FOR FSX' by Mark. Not saying they will work in FSX (which is probably the case) as they MIGHT only work 'right' in FS2004 (?) (and is WHY Mark removed the 'effects' (ie: the vapor/flame effects). I do believe that will turn out to be the case. Correct me if I'm wrong (hehe).
Chuck B
Napamule

Just to be more precise: yes, the original F-5 is for FS9, but in the SOH library, one of the archives is in fact a convertion to FSX native format for this F-5, with a new model that gets self-shadows. After update, the plane is not in FS9 format anymore, it's not a "port-over", it's in real FSX format.

If I remember correctly, the F-5 has been one of the first planes converted to native-FSX format by Tim. For the later planes, he has created complete independent archives (no need to install the FS9 version of the plane first).

Daube
July 24th, 2011, 14:33

Good luck for your quest :icon_lol:
Piglet's creations are an excellent choice, there are quite a nice load of native-FSX planes on his name:
- Kingfisher
- F-5
- Mitsubishi F-1 / T-2
- OV-1
- OV-10
- Skyraider
- Super Tucano
- Pilatus Porter
- Meyers 200D
- Grumann AA-5B
- An-32
- and some others, all in FSX format :jump:

Tako_Kichi
July 24th, 2011, 14:40
His Meyers 200D is among my most flown GA aircraft. :applause:

Daube
July 24th, 2011, 15:05
His Meyers 200D is among my most flown GA aircraft. :applause:

Yes, it's also one of the planes I use the most.
The only "bad" thing is the lack of quality repaints, but I have to admit as well that it's been a while since I last looked for repaints for that bird, so some might have appeared in the meanwhile :)

But so far, I have one cool photoreal repaint for the Super Tucano, and another one for the Skyraider, and I found a semi-photoreal (looking real good) for the AA-5B... and that's all :/

I know there are some photoreal repaints for his acrobatic plane (the one like the Extra-300), but that's not my really kind of plane...

Anybody knows other photoreal repaints for Piglet's planes ?

Stefano Zibell
July 24th, 2011, 15:24
Henry William did a nice IRIAF repaint for the F-5.

Tako_Kichi
July 24th, 2011, 15:37
Yes, it's also one of the planes I use the most.
The only "bad" thing is the lack of quality repaints, but I have to admit as well that it's been a while since I last looked for repaints for that bird, so some might have appeared in the meanwhile :)
I did a red/white/blue metallic look paint scheme for the 200D and I also did a wood panel fascia for the VC too. Both available in the archive here (if you get the panel make sure you get the update too as it adds the dark bezels to the gauges).

PilatusTurbo
July 24th, 2011, 17:12
Just got the Meyers 200D thanks to this forum. I remember when Piglet first released it, I was jealous that it was FSX only. Now I'm running FSX reasonably well, so TIME TO TRY THAT BAD BOY OUT! :d :ernae:

Stefano Zibell
July 24th, 2011, 20:32
Burning some fuel:

napamule
July 24th, 2011, 22:02
Tako,
You said: 'my guess..that he used DG's Hunter effects without permission'. Guess? Either you KNOW or you DON'T know.

The only thing that is 'aparent' is that he REMOVED the ORIGINAL effects lines from the panel cfg. He did not SUBSTITUTE (with DG's Hunter files?) with any other effects, as far as I can see.

Mark is a prolific repainter and has developed several unique methods to 'bend' the light on textues. Now he is a thief? I don't believe it. Show me.
Chuck B
Napamule

fxsttcb
July 25th, 2011, 05:40
...Now he is a thief? I don't believe it. Show me.
Agreed! After all the "updates" and "port overs" Fireball has completed and uploaded, I have yet to read an original author's reprieve.
Yeah some of his stuff isn't the greatest, but, it is available for the masses.
Freebies that aren't your cup-o-tea are simple...DELETE...Don

Stefano Zibell
July 25th, 2011, 10:23
Yes, the original burners and smoke do not show in fsx. I removed them myself, too.

I think it's ready. No red things, afterburners, nice sounds and fine tuned for awesomeness.