PDA

View Full Version : Alphasim MiG-23

delta_lima
July 20th, 2011, 21:48
I know this model got maligned a bit all those years ago. The pilot figure is the part I struggle the most with.

But after subbing out the canopy texture with one from the A-3 Skywarrior, she flies very nicely, with all instruments rolling. Small niggle around the rearmost afterburner ring, which is likely an incurable FS9 alpha texture issue. All in all, she's fun. Here she is in Richard Dorr's Syrian paint scheme. Panel lines are a bit too pronounced for my taste ... but she still turns my head...

A big favour: Does anyone have the repaint Yago did for this all those moons ago? I recall seeing it, but as we all know, they seemed to have a very short window of opportunity.

Many kind thanks - PM me, and I'll send you my email address.

Best regards,

dl

kilo delta
July 21st, 2011, 04:58
Loving these Cold War Eastern Bloc aircraft :). Don't forget the freeware IRIS MiG-27 (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?21588-Iris-MiG-27-released-as-Freeware) too

paul day
July 21st, 2011, 09:26
I,ve got a Yago9 Czech repaint for the Iris Mig23/27.

Regards Paul Day.

delta_lima
July 21st, 2011, 09:42
I,ve got a Yago9 Czech repaint for the Iris Mig23/27.

Regards Paul Day.

Hi Paul,

Yes, been "swinging" around in that model too - didn't know Lucien did one for model, would happily enjoy that.

PM sent.

best regards,

dl

fsafranek
July 21st, 2011, 09:46
It got some bad press at release mainly because of the texturing and to a lesser extent the weapons loadouts. Similar to the recent MiG-21MF it leaned very much towards the nationality of the modeler in that respect (no Atolls which was a quite common loadout among export users). I think the textures were either done by Dano or the developer. As you mentioned the panel lines (and the blur) was quite excessive. Jay McDaniel (Alphasim's flight model guy for many years and during that time period) asked me to make a paint kit and a couple schemes for an update release he wanted to put together. We got started on it but then some other project(s) took us both away from it and that was it. I only touched it again recently when doing some textures for a static version used in some Libyan scenery for SDB.

I asked Phil about it and he said that it would probably go out as freeware at some point but that the gauges would not be included. They are all xml format and really quite good -- too good and still quite useful to end up in the freeware pile. The cockpit textures looked like they were scanned from the flight manual and then painted over so they had a weird "simulator mockup" look to them.

But it was a nice aircraft and if had been done correctly from the start (besides better textures and more weapons flexibility it should have included models of both tail types) it would have done a lot better in the market.

Just my opinion having been there.
:ernae:

delta_lima
July 21st, 2011, 10:00
Yes, would love an updated Flogger, but am realistic about the prospects - and to be truthful, this one is fairly nice - I'm not complaining, especially as the repaint in question would cure a few of the aforementioned ills.

Found a shot of the repaint - not my screenshot, can't recall the forum. Just remember saving the shot as part of my hunt for this repaint ...

thanks again,

dl

brettt777
March 10th, 2012, 22:30
Loving these Cold War Eastern Bloc aircraft :). Don't forget the freeware IRIS MiG-27 (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?21588-Iris-MiG-27-released-as-Freeware) too

Hah! I'll bet you wouldn't say that if you ever had to work on one!

StormILM
March 10th, 2012, 23:27
That was my old screenshot from the old Alphasim forum. It's been posted around by a few folks(I don't mind). Those screens turned out very nice for FS9 and for that Mig-23 which yes suffered a bad reception and IMHO the stock paints didn't do it justice. This paint was by Yago9 and was one of the very first of his excellent photo-real repaints and it really made the Mig-23 come alive.

I remember when I sent it to you after digging through multiple hard drives not finding it and then located it stored in an old email folder. Lucian is out of the business now completely and his work seems to be drying up. Rare gems more & more.

Yes, would love an updated Flogger, but am realistic about the prospects - and to be truthful, this one is fairly nice - I'm not complaining, especially as the repaint in question would cure a few of the aforementioned ills.

Found a shot of the repaint - not my screenshot, can't recall the forum. Just remember saving the shot as part of my hunt for this repaint ...

thanks again,

dl

kilo delta
March 11th, 2012, 08:55
Hah! I'll bet you wouldn't say that if you ever had to work on one!

As bad as they probably are to work on....flying them is (apparently) a terrifying experience....or at least according to some of the USAF pilots who flew them from Groom Lake.

Bjoern
March 11th, 2012, 14:49
As bad as they probably are to work on....flying them is (apparently) a terrifying experience....or at least according to some of the USAF pilots who flew them from Groom Lake.

From what I know, the acceleration is awesome.
Cockpit visibility, and dogfighting capabilities, however not so much.

I'd love to see a native -ML(D) someday...

kilo delta
March 12th, 2012, 00:56
From what I know, the acceleration is awesome.

Deceleration was another matter....if the throttles were closed too quick the engine had a nasty habit of disintegrating! Yaw stability was also a huge problem. I believe there's one or two -23's in private hands in the US now. I think I remember fellow SOH'er ,GT182, saying that there was a UB two seater based at his local field.