PDA

View Full Version : THE DEFAULT FSX AIRBUS 321

beana51
July 19th, 2011, 10:42
Nice model..I have a problem with it....LANDING!!...its not that I cannot ,its the Auto Pilot..tho disengaged,and when on finial,just short of the touch down,,,The Auto Throttle engages,not the auto pilot,..Cannot shut it down,.This as to make landing impossible,as plane accelerates....no such problem with any other heavy Iron...only this A321...Other A321s,with the same AUTO PLOT!,no problem,!....Any Comments!!!..Thanx!..Vin! http://s2.images.proboards.com/wink.gif

SkippyBing
July 19th, 2011, 10:55
I have managed it, so it is possible! I remember having the same problem when I was doing visual circuits in it at Gibraltar (hey everyone needs a hobby) my fighter style circuits kept confusing the auto throttle and I had real problems getting it down.
I think the trick is to fly an airliner style approach and get established nice and early and not get too slow or the auto throttle takes over to stop you stalling, I think it's MS attempt at mimicking the fly-by-wire system that's designed to stop the pilot doing anything stupid.

beana51
July 19th, 2011, 11:50
Thanx skippybing...yes I can land it ...and well...but dial in X-winds .and effects ,it kicks in always just at Touch down...in other modles with that same Auto pilot..no problem...Trouble I think is,there is no manual over ride for the Auto Throttle,which functions tho the Auto Pilot is off!.......I wonder in the CFG. if a way exists to disable it?....Yank the circuit breaker...LOL!

Stefano Zibell
July 19th, 2011, 12:12
Don't flare. But Project Airbus aircraft are much better models anyway, you should fly those instead.

bstolle
July 19th, 2011, 12:53
Just switch of the FCTL computers on the overhead panel.
FLT CTL > ELAC1 SEC1 FAC1

You 'loose' the envelope protection but it handles much more like a real A321.
Handles better than the default 737 ;)

beana51
July 19th, 2011, 15:14
hi bstolle......On the overhead RIGHT CHECK OFF with the FLTCTL,,seems to have made a difference not so on the LEFT FLTCTL.....Repeated landings , the AUTO-THROTTLE did NOT engage....one question...where and what are your recommendations for the ELAC,SECI,and the FACI??

Thanx much..Vin!

bstolle
July 19th, 2011, 21:12
it's not only the autothrust but the FBW 'normal' law as well you are switching off so you can rotate and flare like it should be.
I was talking about the LEFT FTCL switches but it doesn't make any difference.
You can switch off all FTCL switches on both panel, you just need on SEC ON to power the flight controls either SEC1 2 or 3

Daube
July 19th, 2011, 23:57
Actually, the flare is not the problem.
The flight computers, as they are simulated in FSX (= not so good, but still interesting), will not tolerate more than a certain angle of attack at low speed. If the flight cpus see you flying at less than 150 knots, then they will activate the autothrottle and push maximum power, because they are believing that you are about to stall/loose control etc....

However, provided you were flying within the limits defined by those cpus, as soon as you get below 200 feet above the ground, the cpus will totally disengage. You will get back the full control of the rudder for example. So past that point, whatever you do, the cpus will not react, meaning that you WILL be able to flare and kiss-land as much as you want.

So you have two solutions here:

1- disengage manually the flight CPU upon approach, and fly your A321 just like a 737...

2- ensure your speed never gets below 160 knots during approach. Yes, that means that you must almost make a nose-down approach, until you get below 200 feet. When reaching this altitude, you can reduce engine power, and start your flare to reduce your speed down to 130-120 knots for touching the tarmac. That's what I always do when I make flights with the A321.

One thing: by default, the A321 is totally empty, no passengers, no luggage. The flight cpus however, are configured for a heavy plane. Once you configure your plane load with all passengers and corresponding luggage, the limits defined by the flight cpu will make a little bit more sense.

bstolle
July 20th, 2011, 00:42
The problem is that with the 'normal' law 'working' the MS A321 is WAY too sluggish in pitch and roll even at 300kts and that has nothing to do with the AoA.
IRL it wouldn't be even certified that way.
If the difference between normal and direct low IRL woud be that noticable the poor Airbus pilots would have exactly the same control problems during the flare transition as the FSX Airbus pilots.

medic
July 20th, 2011, 01:45
There is a simple fix for the airbus problem on landing, you will need to go to your aircraft config. Copy and paste your aircraft config to your desktop and make a back up copy before you edit. Open the document with editor and go to the bottom of the airplane_ geometry and find the line fly_by_wire=1 and change the 1 to zero. save your edit and copy and paste it back to your aircraft folder and your prolem will be no more.

Daube
July 20th, 2011, 04:54
There is a simple fix for the airbus problem on landing, you will need to go to your aircraft config. Copy and paste your aircraft config to your desktop and make a back up copy before you edit. Open the document with editor and go to the bottom of the airplane_ geometry and find the line fly_by_wire=1 and change the 1 to zero. save your edit and copy and paste it back to your aircraft folder and your prolem will be no more.

And for you, this would be simpler than clicking on the switches in the cockpit, or flying within the limits ?

medic
July 20th, 2011, 06:46
And for you, this would be simpler than clicking on the switches in the cockpit, or flying within the limits ?

This is an extract from the FSX learning centre flying the airbus.

The proper final approach speed varies with weight, but a good target at typical opperating weight is 135 to 140 KIAS.

With landing gear down and flaps at 40 degrees, set the power to maintain 140. This configeration should hold airspeed with a good descent angle toward the runway. Use small power adjustments and pitch changes to stay on the glidepath. your looking for a decent rate of about 700fpm.

As you can see microsoft's target speed is 140 KIAS, the problem is not about the ability to fly within opperating limits or pressing buttons but a bug in the configeration that cannot be addressed by microsoft as they have sacked the ace team that developed FSX.

beana51
July 20th, 2011, 08:03
Thanx guys,great info...all make sense... But for me,and only me ,I took the suggestion of "MEDIC"... fly_by_wire=1 and change the 1 to zero .That along with a greater awareness to the "BOOK"..'V speeds,Weight and Balance, which now seems to consequences" in the Sim,..as they do in my Cherokee 140B.......Nice touch!!

Now if I can figure out a way to fly" Helicopters" in FSX, But that's another thread!...Thanx guys!....Vin!!<label for="rb_iconid_19">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon26.gif</label>