PDA

View Full Version : 'Those Old School Desks'

Panther_99FS
December 9th, 2008, 17:24
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3110158.html?menu=

Helldiver
December 9th, 2008, 19:05
I wonder if they were the real old school desks that had an ink well in them? This is before they had invented ball point pens.
You used to put a piece of chalk in them and the acid in the ink would react to the akali in the chalk and the ink would foam up and make a mess.
I was put on detention for two weeks when I dipped the girl in front of me, pigtail in a ink well. It was not a good thing to do.

Panther_99FS
December 9th, 2008, 19:10
I wonder if they were the real old school desks that had an ink well in them? This is before they had invented ball point pens.
You used to put a piece of chalk in them and the acid in the ink would react to the akali in the chalk and the ink would foam up and make a mess.
I was put on detention for two weeks when I dipped the girl in front of me, pigtail in a ink well. It was not a good thing to do.

I never knew that about the chalk....:mixedsmi:

Now about detention....:icon_lol::kilroy:

Moparmike
December 10th, 2008, 07:34
I'm thinking it was probably the old heavy duty science lab tables. the ones that we had in my hometown school (before it closed) were big heavy laminated maple tables. I've still got an 8' section of the top from one of em when the school stuff sold at auction a few years back. Keep telling myself I'm gonna make a workbench from it someday...either that or a lifetime supply of cutting boards. :D

Shame on you HD! ;) Was she cute? Or...was the two week sentence worth it?

brad kaste
December 10th, 2008, 08:25
...Hard to imagine Helldiver dipping a girl's pig tail into an ink well...........

Trans_23
December 11th, 2008, 15:19
I still have one of those olds school desks with the ink well in it. The kids a still use it for homework and coloring.

Navy Chief
December 11th, 2008, 17:44
A different subject, but along the same line............the ONLY time I got in trouble in elementary school was when a classmate (who always got into trouble) talked me into flooding the bathroom by clogging the drains in the urinals (the old tall types), so the water would go all over the place. Thought we'd gotten away with it, but the Principal was standing outside the bathroom, just waitin...........

NC

GT182
December 11th, 2008, 18:58
Man o man, I remember the old schoold desks with the inkwells. We didn't use ink in them, but I did get my fingers pinched a lot from the desk lid closing on them. Darned lid wouldn't stay up like it should and would slam shut when you least expected it.

cheezyflier
December 12th, 2008, 07:22
A different subject, but along the same line............the ONLY time I got in trouble in elementary school was when a classmate (who always got into trouble) talked me into flooding the bathroom by clogging the drains in the urinals (the old tall types), so the water would go all over the place. Thought we'd gotten away with it, but the Principal was standing outside the bathroom, just waitin...........

NC

i did that in juvenile hall. we flooded a huge hallway and about a dozen rooms
:costumes:

ananda
December 12th, 2008, 07:57
I never knew that about the chalk....:mixedsmi:

In my primary school we used slate boards and a slate 'pencil' :jump:

brad kaste
December 12th, 2008, 10:27
In my primary school we used slate boards and a slate 'pencil' :jump:

....Sounds like 'Anne of Green Gables' type school......

Helldiver
December 12th, 2008, 11:10
What do they make Blackboards out of if not slate ?
The day that did it is when I found out where the High Schools ventilation system was and smashed six stink bombs in it. They had to close the school that day.
My "friend" tipped them off. I wass no longer welcomed in school. I joined the Navy.

brad kaste
December 12th, 2008, 14:55
The day that did it is when I found out where the High Schools ventilation system was and smashed six stink bombs in it. They had to close the school that day.
My "friend" tipped them off. I wass no longer welcomed in school. I joined the Navy.'

Helldiver.......aka Peck's Bad Boy or Mr. Hi-Jinx
..........take your pick.....:costumes:

ananda
December 12th, 2008, 15:08

The blackboards were made from plywood :173go1:

smoores
December 13th, 2008, 18:28
Hmmm... they take something from hell, and make it heavenly.

Helldiver
December 13th, 2008, 18:45
Not in my schools they weren't. The blackboards were made of slate and the pencils were made out of lead. Do you remember sucking on the pen nibs to get them to write?

Hals und Bein Bruch
December 14th, 2008, 01:33
so...was it the nibs or was it the paper..? Helldiver is literally the only one nowadays who can tell us what the paper looked like back then ... flimsies? newsprint? will he tell us..?