PDA

View Full Version : Airman killed in opening battles of ww2 finally coming home.

Fibber
December 9th, 2008, 16:54
A Navy Ensign, who was killed in the Phillipines in the opening days of WW2, is finally coming home to be laid to rest. Read the article here; http://fieldnotes.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/12/09/1703883.aspx?GT1=43001

RIP:medals:

OBIO
December 9th, 2008, 18:39
Welcome Home!

OBIO

Jagdflieger
December 9th, 2008, 19:32
Rest in peace now that you are finally home.

Desert Rat
December 10th, 2008, 02:20
Great stuff, and I am also glad, but correct me if I'm wrong, didn't the war start in 1939, two years before the mentioned 'Early on the morning of Dec. 8, 1941......at the very outset of World War II.'

mmmm...:banghead:
Jamie

hellcat44
December 10th, 2008, 05:46
You have to consider the source JD.

The return of war dead hit closer to home in May when a local man came back after 57 yrs in a Korean mass grave.
Enlisting in 1949, MIA in 1950, declared KIA in 1953.... he was 19 when he died.

safn1949
December 10th, 2008, 06:33
Glad to see this,my Dad was on the USS Phoenix during the war,there are so few of these men left.He died in 2006.

Jagdflieger
December 10th, 2008, 07:32
Semantics guys. The war in Europe was official on September 1, 1939, but the US military involvement in the fracas really started on December 7th and that also seems to be the accepted date for the start of the Pacific side of the conflict. One can also argue that WWII started far earlier than either date with Japanese activity in China and the Italian campaigns in Africa several years before the global aspect of it became a fact.

Either way, welcome home to our fallen.

Desert Rat
December 10th, 2008, 08:06
No arguements here Jagd, and I am truely happy about this, especially for the family.

It's just typical is all I meant, considering the source. Even considering the Eagle squadron and the AVG....:banghead:

Let's not turn this into an arguement, it wasn't meant to be....

Lest we forget,
Jamie

huub vink
December 10th, 2008, 13:46
Great stuff, and I am also glad, but correct me if I'm wrong, didn't the war start in 1939, two years before the mentioned 'Early on the morning of Dec. 8, 1941......at the very outset of World War II.'

mmmm...:banghead:
Jamie

It was the start of the second half :icon_twi: .

Sorry, I know it's a poor joke, but I couldn't resist :costumes:.

Huub

miamieagle
December 10th, 2008, 17:17
May He rest in peace.

PS Jag I could not agree with you more!

miamieagle
December 10th, 2008, 17:22
Adults should be able to argue any subject without ever having to resort to insults and degrading others to make a point.I rather I like to expose Historical subjects and Historical points with other knowlegable members without having to making it a personal affair.

History is just History and should never be taken personal. All nation have made mistakes.

miamieagle
December 10th, 2008, 17:33
JDtinballs the WW2 did start in 1939 when you read conventional History but that does not mean they got it right either. You can argue that the war did not start in 1939 since most of the World was not involve and it was actualy mostly a European war at that stage.

To me it started in 1937 when the Japanese invaded China and you already had the Spanish Cilvila war going at the same time.

miamieagle
December 10th, 2008, 17:41
The Attack on PH actualy expanded the war to most of remaining of the World and thats the reason some call it the begining of World war two. I call it the final act in the expansion of the war. The Final act of the Tragedy we call World war two!

You cannot forget more people died in the Pacific war than conventional Historian will ever admit. Just in China 20 to 30 millions must have died not from direct effects of the war but from indirect effects of the war like deseases and starvation after they migrated from the Eastern shores of China to its interior.

hewman100
December 11th, 2008, 02:29
He is indeed fortunate to have been returned home to rest.

Unhappily there are still many to be found and named on the fields of France and Belgium from 'The War to end all Wars'.